SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waor_gaming

Will me and my family be ok?

We As One Rise
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I tore up half of my 10ftx20 ft room in my basement, just to have my buddy tell me it looked like asbestos tiles.....Well, it is. 9×9 tiles with the black tar underneath. Since then i literally brought my garden hose in my basement and sprayed everything, and i mean everything i could spray without hitting electrical stuff and wiped it with damp cloths. Then i bagged it all up very carefully, i have a lot of land so of took it to the back of my property and barred it in bags that i ducked tape. I did not have proper equipment on at all, no mask, gloves, suit, etc.I was down there for 1 full day and 2 hours the day before with a jack hammer smashing it up. I was going sideways with the jack hammer so some of it actually came up in full pieces. I wasn't just smashing it to bits i was more so peeling it up with the flat part of the jack hammer but there was definitely a lot of breakage.I bought a hepa air purifier and have that going, i put some sealer on the floor basically like a killz but its called zimmers, its a primer as well, and i want to just level it out with cement and put some vinyl flooring over it all, the big roll kind.I had my kids helping me unfortunately and that part truly breaks my heart. I would never have tried to get it up if i knew, i would have just laid right on top of it as is and called it good i just wanted to get the smell up from under those tiles and do it legit.Long story short, my wife and kids are mad at me and freaking out because i told them to stay away that it was asbestos and harmful and now im just pissed at myself for this mistake.Can i get the house back to being safe to live in or did i mess up big time? I don't have money for a professional i got a quote for 11k and that's way out of my budget. I plan on wiping the entire house and getting another hepa purifier for there rooms and ill leave this one in the basement to hopefully clear it up and make it safe.The air was on but only for a bit, and we where no where near the intake or furnace and the door was closed. Its been off since. I was thinking of getting a filter for that, a merv 13 or whatever it's called.Threw away all clothes and shoes we had on and really did the best i could so far. Any reassurance or feedback would be great. Im just trying to be a good father and fix my dumb mistake. Thank you.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm