SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keyaskosmos

Need help diggin'

Hi all! I am having a tough time digging my hard and compacted clay. I can dig down about a feet, and then chisel away a few more inches. But its just not possible for me to dig the recommended 2 feet.

Here is a pic of a hole in my yard... it does not drain after 3 weeks of no rain. The lower part of the pic is the stuff I dug out.

May be I am doing something wrong or there is a better way... These are the options I have been thinking -

0. Tried hiring some help...unfortunately none available nearby.

1. Use the Long Handle, Yellow Spear Head Spade (found in another post here) - will the digging/scooping be any easier at near 2 ft depth? I find that I cannot flex (bend) the current shovel enough to dig after a certain point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DTU810/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A19NVE4G6SOT2C&psc=1

2. Use a pole digger - how much physical force does this need? Am not used to much heavy yard work

3. Use a power tool - too expensive. Also accessibility (reaching deep) and safety are issues to me.

4. Don't dig so deep! If my spade cant get through, how will roots? On the other hand , I do not know that water will eventually drain if I dig up to 2 or even 3 ft. Really, maybe water just flows over and sideways - saying this as there is seldom water pooling in the lawn.

I am stuck and very confused as to what to do...so asking for any insight and suggestion from those of you dealing with such heavy soil.

Comments (20)