SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_123563630

Trying to grow Buddah Bamboo from cuttings

Rod
2 years ago

I hope someone can help me. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and about 2 weeks ago I planted some Buddha Bamboo (I believe they are the dwarf variety) from cuttings both in the ground and in some planters after soaking them in fresh water for about a week. Most of the cutting have started to produce branches from the nodes a few days after planting them. My question is just because I have branches sprouting doesn't mean that they are going to survive and root correct? I also have a root ball that I pulled out of the ground and planted and it's now growing a few shoots that weren't there before but before planting it the roots all looked dried up and I didn't see any white or fresh roots just dried up roots so I'm wondering if the shoots are like the branches growing from the culm cuttings and maybe it's just natures way of trying to survive even though they are potentially just dead plants looking like they are growing/living but in reality they are not.

In the past, I tried growing a different variety of bamboo by first placing the cuttings in a bucket of water for a few weeks and those started to grow branches in the bucket of water. However after I buried the culms in the ground horizontally with the branches sticking up and watering them every day they all died shortly afterwards.

Now with my buddha cuttings, I planted the culms at a 45 degree angle and waxed the bottom end of the culm that is buried in the ground so they don't rot. I'm hoping that they will eventually root and not have a repeat of my first attempt of growing bamboo.

Thank you,

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert