SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

Shower door update?

Karenmo
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The real estate agents tell me that buyers in our high cost area turn up their nose if the master bathroom isn't spiffy -- evidently they can handle dated hallway/kids' baths, but the bath must be special for the people actually paying the bills!

Since we'll sell our house in a year or two, we probably need to replace our perfectly functional 1970 shower stall. There is some deadspace behind the wall where the faucets are, on the left in the photo, so maybe "while we are at it" we could even enlarge the space some, if the studs and plumbing will allow.

A window overlooking a wooded park fills the wall to the right of the shower, hidden in the photo by the angle of the door, so I want to retain the green theme in this space, but switch to white wall tile in the shower stall. The green of the walls and floor tile are more mellow than this photo portrays, providing a nice continuity with the outdoor space.

My main question is what to do for the shower door replacement?

Personally, I am very fond of textured glass, not just because it camouflages waterspots, but I like texture in general! If doing this for my own pleasure, I'd probably use the rain pattern for the glass here, but my suspicion is that for "the market," the way to go is a clear glass door on a minimalist brushed metal track. Any thoughts?

For the tile in the shower, I'll probably use a large patterned hexagonal tile in satin white on the back wall with coordinated subway tiles on the two side walls. I actually bought this tile last fall to do the hallway bath, which was delayed due to covid. But now the agent convinced me that doing master bath is more important for resale! Plus I liked her idea since the master shower would display the Gaudi-Barcelona-reproduction tile I selected better than our hallway bath. Below is the tile I bought from the Tile Shop, and an image of the same tile in black so you can see more dramatically how the pieces fit together! (Gaudi's design uses marine plant and animal motifs.)

My secondary question, for those who read this far, is what to do about the banjo end of our vanity surface if we expand the shower stall into the dead space beyond the end of the banjo. It's Corian, so theoretically it can be "worked" by someone who knows their stuff. The Corian material is doubled on the underside for about a inch in from the front edge AND that side edge currently against the end wall near the shower, so there is some to work with. It could be trimmed back some and the corner rounded, if it wouldn't look to weird hanging out past the end of the new wall (if we enlarged the stall), with the end of the glass door behind it, albeit recessed.

Comments (13)