SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_johnston17

Cornus kousa finishing flowering + misc. from backyard this morning

woodyoak
2 years ago

While we are an inch short of rain so far in comparison to our usual June total -and several inches below our usual spring rain total - the backyard is looking very green and lush. There is more rain in the forecast for the next few days, so we've got our fingers crossed that it actually happens! I was taking some pictures from the back porch, and from the house, to document progress in the garden, so I thought I'd post a few here....

On an earlier thread I posted a picture of our neighbour's kousa dogwood blooming with ours. I commented then that theirs starts a few days before ours and also finishes before ours. Theirs is almost done flowering and ours will be done soon too but is still in flower for now.

Blooming together June 14:

Mostly just our Milky Way June 24:

In this view looking west down the north alley from the back porch,, you can see the position of our Milky Way dogwood and also see some of the neighbour's garden that sort of merges with ours along the fence:

This view of the north alley is looking in the other direction. Some of the clematises that normally grow on the fence have disappeared this year :-(

A lot of the backyard garden beds look as densely planted and shady as in this view looking down from our home office window (pardon the reflections in the window in the picture...!):

There is currently a cardinal sitting on eggs in a nest in the beautybush shrub you see on the right side of that photo. A few years ago a robin nested in there - before it leafed out so we had a good view of it - now that the shrub is in leaf, the nest and occupant(s) is almost invisible to us!

I hope you are all as happy with the progress of your garden this spring as we are - even though we lost a few things over the winter and spring. And I hope you (and we!) get rain if you need it :-)

Comments (14)