SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_53815970

Central air unit blowing warm air - reasonable price for fixing?

User
2 years ago

Hi all, I’ve been reading through the posts and doing some Googling and have found a partial answer/solution, but wanted to dig in more.

I live in a multi-floor condo and my unit’s central air (inside the unit) has been working fine for the three years I’ve been here. We don’t use the central air much, but last summer it started blowing out warm air. We tweaked the thermostat and did some minor servicing, and it continued to blow warm air. Around the same time, the Carrier HVAC system, which is in a closet outside the hallway, started to leak what I believe was mostly water (condensation). We didn’t notice for a few days, and it had actually begun seeping under the hardwood floors, causing water damage. The leak may have been triggered by me adjusting some valves.

We rarely used the central air, so I’m not sure if the leak is related to the cause of the warm air blowout or if something else was at play. There has been no further leaks, as far as we can tell, after that first few days, about 9 months ago. Also, the central heating worked perfectly fine in the winter, so that was unaffected.

For R-22, I’m hearing from one contractor that we would be looking at $165 per pound. For R-410A, it'd be $85 per pound. But understandably they don’t know how much I’d need without a visit, so I’m going to go ahead and schedule that. It would also be recommended to use a sealant/dye to attempt to seal or expose the leak which I've been told would be an additional $175.

Do these costs sound reasonable? Sounds like I’m looking at around $400 or so minimum.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz