SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_5328044

Dallisgrass!! Help!

User
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is the first year I have decided to pay attention to my yard (after 13 years of living here). It is a giant mess. I have started keeping an excel spreadsheet to help me understand what has worked and what hasn't worked. I'll start by saying I live in NC (zone 7 - Piedmont), and I need some advice on strategy...

I started the year with Thick'R Lawn in late March, started mowing high (3.25"-3.5") and watering at least twice a week (deeply). Then late April, I applied 2,4-D for (MAJOR) dandelion infestation (no pre-emergent because I had no idea what that was before this year), and then I dethatched, aerated, and applied weed and feed in late May (tons of clover). I then realized I had "grassy weeds" so I bought/applied Quinclorac by early June.

After some extensive research and seeing the grassy weeds simply turn purple, I have realized I have the formidable "Dallisgrass!" (I went on a scavenger hunt and found seedheads, so I am 100% certain that's what this is - refer to picture.) What a disaster! It's literally the worst thing you can have in your yard. So after some more extensive research, I applied Celsius WG yesterday (I used 2tsp in 2 gal. sprayer with a splash of MSO) and now I guess I wait. (I did NOT add Revolver like the instructions suggest because.....it's like $400+?!?!) I am almost certain the Thick'R Lawn has cool season grass seed, so I have probably just killed what I put down in March. Oh well! I have no idea what "grass" was in the yard before seeding, but there really wasn't much of it anyway I guess?

My question is this. I plan to wait 30 days to re-apply the Celsius WG because I know it takes more than one application (and can be used in the heat), but does anyone have any experience with this stuff and know if it will really work? If not, I might as well just Round-up the entire yard and start over. If I had to guess, it's probably 35% good grass (including my March seeding) and 65% of a combination of crabgrass, dallisgrass, clover, and every other weed you can possibly think of. My yard could be a You-Tube Video as an example of the worst yard ever. :/ (If someone says it DOES work with Revolver I may be willing to try, but it's just not a gamble I'm willing to take after spending close to $1,000 so far only to find out it may be a lost cause.)

It's too hot to plant seeds, so I feel like I have some time to wait to see if it works, but quite frankly, I don't want to waste any more time and money trying to salvage the unsalvageable. IF the Celsius works, I plan to dethatch, aerate, and overseed again in late September. That will give enough time to get the herbicide out of the soil.

I guess I'm really hoping someone will say it works and I can keep on with my plan to not kill the entire yard with Round-up. The fact that I got around 35% of the yard to grow something in March was promising to me and I want to eventually keep on with my plan and crowd this stuff out. But I am very new to this and don't know if that will work. Digging these ugly things out is not an option because they are just too established and ALL over the entire yard and I can't spot spray because it's all mixed together with the good stuff.

I'm also struggling with the mow high and water strategy too, because dallisgrass LOVES that. So I'm out there spending $80/month on my water bill and mowing twice a week.....only to make the dallisgrass happy?!?! I have no idea what to do! Haha.

Anybody?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone