SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

These Plants Are Tough

Bill M.
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Exactly what the title says, a little discussion concerning what some would consider hopeless situations. I hope some of you will also contribute as to your experiences as it may help other to recover a cherished plant.

These two pictures are of a hoya australis I was given with a batch of noids. It was in sad shape initially, and proceeded to decline over the winter. It was initially in a propagation box I made out of a tote bin, a saran wrap top and a heating mat on the bottom. It sat in a glass full of leca, filled with water. I also tried the snake oil called superthrive, which I had laying around. It never did well and continued to drop leaves. I didn't have the heart to throw it away as I will never stop fighting for something wanted it to live as opposed to having to purchase one. this was a freebee and it was going to make it!

Eventually every leave shriveled up and on some stems, they all fell off. I wasn't ready to quit just yet. Come summer, it was moved into the GH, where it just sat - virtually dead. Then the other day, after watering and misting it every day along with all the others, I noticed, on one "dead" stem, a small leaf starting. Hooray! That stem is trying to live, and I'm sure it will. The other stem still has a bunch of dead leaves attached, but I believe with continual care, it too may decide to send out a leaf. Time will tell but I will not give up!

That was a shriveled up dried out peduncle probably a year or two old, but above it is new growth!

This is another stem of the same plant I cut up (you can see the stem from above in the background of this image). It's leaves have long since dried up and the vine has shriveled too, exactly like the other one above. It will continue to reside in the leca as I believe it too wants to live and hopefully I'll start to see growth on this one as well.

My point here is these plants are tough. don't be too quick to give up on them. On any plants for that matter. I've had bromeliads I've left outside the entire winter, frozen solid, and come summer, they started to send up new growth. I have a ponytail palm, had it for years and it was over six feet tall. I forgot about it one year and it too froze solid for days and months on end. I chopped the entire plant top off, right down to the stump, and left it alone. After several months, I saw a tiny bit of growth and now it's filled out better than the original! I'll take a picture of it later today and post it as well.

The moral of this story - don't give up. Our plants don't, and neither should we.

Now - let's hear from all of you....

Comments (19)

Sponsored