SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxrobert

Is this really Lady Of Shalott? I am starting to have my doubts.

PDXRobertZ8
2 years ago

This rose is in her third year this year (maybe fourth?) and was gifted to me by a gardening friend who said it was David Austin's Lady of Shalott that was grown from a cutting (it was maybe a foot tall when I planted it with spindly stems). I planted it, and a year later it had minimal growth but had a few tiny blooms about 2" wide. The gifter then told me that it might not be LoS and she just can't remember but was sure it was a David Austin.

In year two it grew bigger and the canes got a little thicker, but still about 24-28" tall. More blooms, about the same width.

This year it has had a lot more blooms by comparison and they are larger at about 3" and they are quite fragrant--not Gertrude Jekyll fragrant, but fragrant enough to smell when walking close by. The canes have barely grown more than a few inches this year despite plenty of heat, sun, and food. My plant does not have large blooms whatsoever like the ones I see at the International Rose Test Garden here in Portland, it does not send octopus canes, and the leaves stay a bright green all year, not dark as in photos of others' LoS and they are very small. The blooms are deep and appear quite flat until right before they drop their petals when they're rather fluffy.

What do you think? Is this a different Austin altogether? The pictures here make the blooms look quite orange, but the coloring does range from pink to yellow to apricot. Some of the flowers appear quartered and full and others are ruffly. I cut them and bring them into the house and they last 2-3 days before they shatter and drop. And the stems have a lot of prickles (again, not Gertrude Jekyll prickles, but enough that you will get pricked somewhere if you hold the stem--there is no clearance of 2-3" of space without them).

You can see them in a vase with violas to get an idea of their size as well:

Comments (39)