SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanessa_miller51

Ideas for using a space between rooms as more than a hallway.

Vanessa Miller
2 years ago

Our house has open-concept layout with vaulted ceilings and partly open between kitchen, living, and dining. The layout was pretty classic for a raised ranch. The previous owners put on an extension that has a tray ceiling and a light fixture which I love and makes the room suited to be the dining room. How can I make good use of the area (which was previously for dining) between the kitchen, dining, and living rooms? currently it is little more than an oversized hallway and I would like to create a more defined zone. I love entertaining and would like a space for my guests to sit and chat with me while I cook. I also would love more work space in the kitchen but am uncertain if there is an island shape that would work. I could also use more closet space to keep vacuum and broom as the house has very few closets (1 linen in the hall and 1 in each of the bedrooms)
My style is sort of farm house chic, natural materials, rustic but authentic (not faux distressed), and clean lines. I am really looking for floor plan ideas more than specific design finshes and such, bur I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention :)

Comments (5)