SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Pulling Leaves from Thrips Infected Photinia

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a Photinia in zone 9b with a thrips infection. It also has some kind of fungal infection, which may be secondary to the thrips because the plant is in a weakened state. If I remove the leaves infected by thrips, will new leaves pop into place on the stem at the point of removal? Or am I better off trimming back the stem, and any infected leaves attached to that, as a way of promoting both new stem and leaf growth? Is there any method for removing the leaves that would help to signal the plant to grow more leaves in that location? I am concerned that the thrips are affecting groups of leaves that are close together. I am going to create some bald spots on the hedge by removing so many clustered leaves, so I want to do the leaf removal in whatever way will promote more leaf growth.

I am tackling this infection by the following strategy:

* I am using neem oil to slow down the thrips

* I am physically removing leaves that show evidence of thrips, to limit the rate of spread to new leaves

* My arborist wants to treat the plants with phosphorous in the soil rather than general-purpose fertilizer. He does not want nitrogen to encourage new growth, Rather, he wants the phosphorous to increase ATP production in the plant to maximize its energy to fight the infection. He wants to increase vigor in what is already there rather than put energy into growth.

* My arborist wants to use an in-ground insecticide named Imidacloprid, which is taken up into the leaves and will kill thrips. I realize there is a risk to pollinators so I am timing the application to take place after the flowers on the plant are gone. Can someone recommend a brand of Imidacloprid that is convenient for an in-ground application?

Are there other things I should be doing to help the plant maximize its chances to fight the infection?

Comments (10)