SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyemamato2

Table Lamps and Wall Art

buckeyemamato2
2 years ago

Help… I would appreciate thoughts on use of table lamps on narrow end tables. These end tables are 16 inches wide. I’m just beginning to pull together main living area of our small lake home. There are pocket lights in ceiling but I prefer softer lighting. Do I put a light at each end of sofa? Size or style suggestions? Also looking for suggestions of what to hang on wall over sofa? On the wall opposite of sofa is a stone fireplace with TV mounted above …to the right of this sofa we have 2 smokey blue upholstered chairs and a 12 foot slider that leads out to a covered porch where we have a lovely view of pine trees and a lake channel.

Comments (31)

• lkloes
    2 years ago

I think you need a rug to anchor the space so that your chairs aren’t floating. Get something with some color because right now everything is a shade ofmbeigeMaybe put a table between the two chairs

• lkloes
    2 years ago

Oops. It posted before I was done. Is one of your end tables sticking out beyond the wall? If so, you don’t have enough room for two tables. Yes, put a lamp on the table nearest the step. I would also add one large, colorful painting above the sofa for some impact and would stay away from the gallery wall look. Pull accent colors from your art and rug and buy some throw pillows and maybe a throw blanket for the sofa.

• Related Discussions

size of art work behind couch+lamps

Q

Comments (3)
    The best way to get advice here is to show pictures of the space along with pics of what you have in mind for art. Dimensions of furniture and art are helpful, too. Maybe someone can give you a mock-up with the pictures and info.
    ...See More

Living room help

Q

Comments (1)
    let me know if you need more information thanks RL Relocation LLC
    ...See More

I don’t know if art work or a mirror is better on the buffet wall ?

Q

Comments (13)
    I agree that the rug is much too small as well as dark. The tones are taking away from the distinct table base and the coordinating chair legs. As an admitted minimalist, I'd have no rug there or one that's the same color as the floor but textural. The floors are beautiful. Given the many hard reflective surfaces, I think a mirror would be too much and would prefer a textural art piece. The height can't be greater than what's there now due to the vent. Although I really like the candlestick lamps below, it may look cluttered due to the glass cabinet close to the sideboard.
    ...See More

How should I hang art work on these walls?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd put blinds Bamboo blinds, more contemporary, on the windows and open the drapery panels on each side of the windows... only need the drapes pulled when you want a total darkness. I'd put large art in the indented area with a table and lamp Ambient lighting is a must for any room. A tall piece of furniture on that tiled floor that meets the carpet. I'd pull the sectional closer to the tiled edge... away from the window move the ottoman to the far side... and the side chair. ... find a new play room for the kitchen set.
    ...See More
  • User
    2 years ago

Putting a lamp on the left side table near the chairs is going to highlight your thermostat and switch plate, so put the lamp on the other side. You can use one of the end tables between the 2 chairs to keep that wall from getting crowded.

That is a great view and I wouldn’t want a lot of art and color competing with it, so I think your instinct to go with natural-material pieces is the right one, and nothing too showy.

Ceramic 34" Hour Glass Table Lamp, Silver · More Info

Damascus Table Lamp, Blue Bubble Glaze and White Linen Fabric Shade · More Info

I think a rug is a nice idea, but I would keep it very simple

Abani Aspen Collection ASP130B Abstract Hatching Area Rug, Gray, 6'x9' · More Info

Really hard to know what to suggest over the sofa. Staggering a few shelf-ledges up the wall to display photos and small framed art gives you a lot of flexibility to later change things

For your wall I wouldn’t do black or have items this big, but you get the idea

Modern Family Room · More Info

Or any simple arrangement of photos

Coastal Modern Bungalow (Industrial, comfortable and budget friendly) · More Info

• Allison0704
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Nce view! I agree with using one table between the pair of chairs. One lamp next to sofa. Large art and large rug. I would also suggest a round table instead of the lovely wicker piece to help soften all the hard lines going on with everything else. Also since there are two ottomans with the chairs. Is there a cabinet along a wall to put another lamp or a pair of lamps? They do not necessarily need to be right next to the seating.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ll get floor plan drawing with dimensions posted later today but here is an earlier pic of this space looking back at fireplace. Note that I have put a table between the two swivel glider chairs which we use to both enjoy view and then in evening turn toward the TV over fireplace. (The photo with fireplace was taken before the end tables came in so you are seeing a small white stand at end of couch). We are currently only spending weekends in this lake house but trying to purchase and decorate so that it’s comfortable for entertaining and enjoying now and then when we retire it’ll be ready for us. Know that I’d love to hear any and all suggestions… since on a lake trying to go a little nautical but not over the top. Selected a large compass rug for entry but since there is no foyer thinking I will anchor the two swivel chairs with a rug just not sure of size. Also this striped chair is on order and will go in corner next to built in and since it’ll mostly be used for reading I will pit a floor lamp behind it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

If you have the ENTIRE floor plan? Upload it.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the best I can do… it shows the lower level. It does not have the fireplace designated but as you can see from earlier photos posted. The fireplace is on the wall that is shared with the powder room. Thus the only wall available for sofa is the one where we have currently placed the sofa. I would also be open and appreciate suggestions on any aspect of decorating this space rugs, window treatments etc.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We’ll having trouble getting this photo uploaded.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Any suggestions.. every time I try to add a photo the only thing that comes up as an option are the photos that I’ve already posted.. 😟

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We’ll maybe this will work 🤞

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And auto correct keeps changing “well” to we’ll 😬. Again, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. We closed on this home 1 month ago. Getting furnishings has been a challenge thanks to low stock or back orders. I have went with to down bottom up window treatments ( cellular shades)throughout but have not tackled 12 foot slider though feel we do need something there as we do have afternoon soon… welcome suggestions on that also.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I would put one lamp on the sofa end table near the steps. Move the other end table over to use between your two chairs. That leaves the sofa side closest to the windows with a clear view outside, and an arrangment that better fits the wall.

• User
    2 years ago

For blocking the light I think having pull-shut full length window drapes is a good solution, and I would do panels all the way into the dining area to echo the sweep of the view and unify the whole space I like your choices of natural, organic, muted, so carrying on with that for a fabric choice seems right to me. I don’t know what level of light-blockage you need — whether you just need to break the light or actually block it - so hard to recommend something specific. You also don’t say whether it would be helpful to have thermal protection for winter.

I think calidesign’s suggestion for lamp placement makes sense but I’d still want to tone down the stark white of the switchplates and thermostat if possible. I noticed one of the lamps I suggested to you is sold out, and now that I see more of your other choices I thought to suggest these

Table Lamp, Slate Ceramic With Linen Fabric Shade · More Info

Libertine Table Lamp in White and Blue · More Info

Wayland 26" Ceramic Table Lamp, Seaside Blue · More Info

• User
    2 years ago

If you are going to use the woven basket ottoman as a coffee table, a pair of these trays set on top of it would be useful and fit in with your overall scheme

Deny Designs Iveta Abolina Coastal Raindrops Square Tray · More Info

But there are loads of possibilities

Coastal Brown Wood Tray Set 37896 · More Info

Blue Mimosa Round Tray · More Info

Coastal White Mother Of Pearl Shell Tray Set 84423 · More Info

• David Facha
    2 years ago

I had the same question for the wall decoration few months ago, I bought a macrame wall hanging here, the result is perfect !

• User
    2 years ago

Hmmmm…..

what would you think of moving your compass rug to the entrance of the sliders and framing those windows in treatment that featured navy? Then add spots of navy elsewhere in the room in pillows and throws, lamps, other decorative pieces?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Brutal truth? Unfortunate design. Meant for NO sofa. Can't read dimensions.......and it probably doesn't matter. . It's meant for four chairs....a couple ottomans and not much more.

Hopefully, it will be you and another couple, most of the time. ....: )

Stair wall would be better as two chairs/ottomans......A table with lamp between , a console with lamp over by the window and a couple swivels. Don't shoot the messenger. Shoot the architect or draftsman. Whomever made the living room a "hallway"

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I appreciate your input… though will need to keep the sofa and will just make it work with sofa on that wall.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ital Mover… I love both these lamps can you please share where you found them.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER: please check out my feed. House of hodge podge! Thanks

• User
    2 years ago

@buckeyemamato2 if you click on the ”More info” option in the caption text, you can see how to buy the lamps

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Had a thought around layout, if interested. Couch facing outside and a console behind (with a lamp). This would create a foyer effect and add a long rectangle rug at door to do the same.

Set up similar to below. Front door where windows are, single chair near fireplace on an angle, and your two chairs facing fireplace, all creating a cozy conversation area.

I belive it‘s important to consider the entire space, especially in an open concept. In that regard, instead of nautical I’d enhance the view, bringing in nature with art choices, baskets, cushions/throws and a natural fibre rug. An antique or two would be fun as well.

Site below has lovely bird watercolors and you could add a few to the wall where the couch is presently, grounding the room as well as creating impact as you enter your home.

http://www.dswatercolors.com/gallery/image/hummingbird-watercolor

• Maureen
    2 years ago

A bench under window as you enter would be practical to place things on as you come in. Then place your single chair on other side of fireplace, as I think it‘s important to give weight to other side if room.

• User
    2 years ago

@Maureen How does one plug in a console table lamp in the layout you are suggesting?

• lkloes
    2 years ago

Your electrician can install a floor outlet.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

There are cordless, battery lamps.

https://www.modernlantern.com/?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social

You also don‘t necessarily have to add a lamp, as you’ll have one between your chairs and could add a floor lamp (for good reading) next to chair near fireplace and looks like you may potlights.

I just noticed the ottomans with the chairs and having these will be more comfortable to watch tv vs couch, so hopefully couch works out in other location. Just move things around to test and you should know immediately.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

When the striped chair arrives, angle it in the corner by the bookcase and use a floor lamp at that outlet. You'll have a reading nook and be able to flip on the lamp when you enter the door at night. I would move the TV to the sofa wall hung just above a credenza that is 25% wider than the TV. You might want to wall mount TV on an articulated arm or set it on a swivel so it can be adjusted for best viewing. Add art no wider than the firebox opening above the mantel. Pull the two swivels and hassocks a bit forward from their present location.. Facing the slider view, float the sofa & coffee table behind the swivels. Anchor the two seating areas with nautical feeling rugs that don't necessarily have to match. See if you can place a sofa table behind the sofa and add a battery lamp to serve the two chairs and sofa. You may also have room for a pair of smaller scale chairs at either end of the coffee table on the view side of your double seating area.

• buckeyemamato2
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Definitely putting stripped chair in the corner by built in as small reading area… still undecided on style of floor lamp as I want to compliment whatever table lamp(s) I go with . Leaning more toward just one table lamp next to sofa. I am getting a lot of good ideas… love the bird watercolors. Also appreciate the link to cordless lamps may be using that to purchase something for covered porch. Thanks again to all for your input and please feel free to offer other suggestions.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    2 years ago

We might suggest finding a large piece of artwork that you love for over the sofa. We might also suggest adding a rug to help ground the space. Below are a few of our designs to aid you with your end table/lamp dilemma as well.

Echo Lake Modern · More Info

Cascade Mountain Home: Living Room · More Info

Lincoln Tower High Rise · More Info

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

@michelle Yorke interiors, please head over to my post! Thanks