SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincoln97

If menopause is coming up for you-

Zalco/bring back Sophie!
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

- even if it's in the rearview mirror, I cannot recomment this book enough, The Menopause Manifesto by Jen Gunter, MD a gynecologist , NYT columnist, and author.

I turn 53 this summer and am still menstruating regularly, though boy howdy have there been some changes in how much I bleed ( crime scene level flow here.)

My old Ob/Gyn retired and I am pretty frustrated and unhappy about the new one I just tried out, so I figured it was past time for some menopause education. Gunter's book explains how we get from birth to menopause and crucially what is holding us back from getting adequate treatment for this life stage.

Long story short, gynes see women die of breast or ovarian cancers (small amount,) not cardiovascular disease (number one killer of women,) and weigh the risks of estrogen replacement with a disproportionate caution toward what they see in their practices and not what their collegues see in theirs, which is greatly affected by hormones and menopause.

I bring this up because one of the points Gunter made is that women don't even have a whisper network to rely on for information about how other women cope with this stage, so I thought perhaps others may appreciate this book as much as I have.

Comments (36)