SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Weeding yellow sorrel

bananastand
2 years ago

If I had to point my finger at the most prolific, thuggish "garden variety" weed in my perennial beds, it has to be yellow sorrel, hands down. I say garden variety because it's not a true invasive species, and I am guessing there's no real harm to it in the long run... but my god, if this stuff doesn't seem like the zombie plant from beyond. I hand pull it constantly throughout the year, making sure to get its delicate root, and it just doesn't seem to matter. Where one is pulled, 500 soldiers in the seedbank await their chance at a day in the sun. I've also tried hitting it with my scuffle hoe to cut it off-- I can cover more ground that way-- but it just pops back up like nothing in a few days. It also has a lovely habit of hiding directly underneath perennials, disguising its stems alongside the perennial stems to make itself harder to pull and/or hoe. Does anyone else have a plethora of yellow sorrel? Any tips to truly reduce the amounts? And don't say mulch, because it's just as bad if not worse in mulched areas!! Sorry, you can probably hear my frustration here. Tips and/or fellow complaints/commiseration are welcome! :-)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County