SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
t_jones98

Help with kitchen design

T. Jones
last month
last modified: last month

How would you change this kitchen?

Here is our current draw-ups.

We are moving our sink to the corner to get it off the peninsula so that everyone isn’t staring at our dirty dishes as well as to not have two corners to deal with. We are leveling off the countertop and making it flush. We are raising the cabinets to have them come up to the bottom of the opening on the fridge wall. We are taking out the wall to the left of the fridge and framing the fridge.

We are leaning toward taj mahal quartizite and an off-white cabinet with java bamboo floors. We haven’t decided on a backsplash.

Do you see anything we can improve upon? Anything we need to change? Ways to make the kitchen have a finished look?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Is there an outside wall anywhere ? Is this a condo or a house ? IMO corner sinks are a PITA for placement of DW do you have one? Corner lazy susans are great use of space in a small kitchen and I see not real issue with making sure dirty dishes are in the DW or dealt with before guests arrive,A counter depth fridge is a must in a small space I have no idea what you are asking about raising the cabinet on the right all the counters should be the same height if tha is what you mean .Do you have any natural light in this space ? Take some pics of the areas around the kitchen please.

• houssaon
    last month

I agree about a counter depth refrigerator. It is so much nicer than having a bulky frig stick out. I would move your sink out of the corner to where the range use to be.

• Related Discussions

need help with kitchen design - south wall of kitchen

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Marthasdream, I know I've seen you over in On-Topic discussions. I hope you reposted this over there. If not, please do so!! I promise you're not being ignored. Most of us just don't look in Gallery very often. If you look in the center, just above the list of topics, you'll see the links between On-Topic discussions, off-topic conversations, and gallery.
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen design and our design style

Q

Comments (7)
    i don't have anything to say about the island, but your options for backsplash are pretty broad. presumably you want the dramatic counter to be the star, in which case your backsplash should play a supporting role -- white, or some cool gray taken from the stone veining. If you want something more unusual, bring in the interest by way of texture -- a shiny or iridescent white, say -- or tile shape -- like fan-shaped tile.
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen design

Q

Comments (4)
    We need an overhead layout with measurements. Mark anything that can't be moved--plumbing, gas, utility chases, etc. Where does the door at the end lead?
    ...See More

Help! Need help with Kitchen design...and awkward nook!

Q

Comments (13)
    removing windows and putting in a door is easier than vice versa. remove the brick, frame out the area for the door, install. if you want to bring up the floor level,(what do you plan on doing w/the fireplace? you would have to redo it and the book cases) for the new floor, they would have to lay joists, sub floor, and flooring to even it out to the other. At this point I would advise you to replace all of that white tile and do the same flooring throughout the first level. can you match the wood you have in the other room? .Oh, demo of all that tile? 1-2 K (can't see how much you have) remove a window and install french doors, about 2-4K. building a banquette? have no idea. 1-2K? new table, custom made cushions, etc. I don't mind the sunken part. I'd do the french doors and close off that other door by the nook. would be cool if you could extend that whole side of the house further out another 6-10 feet. I'd rather do that than raise the floor level. i'd also widen your stair area leading down. on the living side, you could do something like this w/stair sides (little built ins) install a cool beam above it: or move the stairs to one side If you replaced your windows w/doors, you could do one large sofa, and place the two chairs as you come down the stairs. (that's why it might be nice to move the stairs off to one side, gives you a bit more space. or try this layout. you may have enough room to walk behind the other sofa in front of the doors. (if you could bump out that wall another 6' or so, it would be perfect!
    ...See More
  • T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

(Added the pics previously in this post to the original post)

Thanks! This is a house. There is a 96" wall behind where the range is now. 128" wall behind where the fridge is and a counter depth wall to the left of the fridge. We don't prefer corner cabinets or lazy susans (have both now) - rather have a corner sink than cabinet (we think). The DW is planned to go to the right of the corner(?) sink with a 15"-18" cabinet between sink and DW. Thanks again!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

So think about loading and unloading the DW IMO any space between the 2 is poor design and honestly the range needs to go where it can be be properly vented and super susans in corners are awesome storage always.

T. Jones thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

Patricia - there is no outside wall, so unfortunately venting the range is a problem wherever it is. (I just re-read your first comment.)

Hopefully the other pictures I posted show what I mean about raising the cabinets. The wall that the fridge is on only goes up about 8 feet and is cut out, and we would put 42" uppers (30s+12s), rather than 30" uppers that we have now. The other wall is 14.5 feet, so has plenty of room for 42".

houssaon - The sink where the range is now is/was a thought, but we liked the idea of "getting rid of" a corner cabinet, which is why we went with the corner sink.

We will likely go with a blind corner with a pull out. Thanks to you both for your insights!

• decoenthusiaste
    last month

The difference in where your sink is now and the corner you want to move it to won't hide it and the dirty dished from view. If that is your main motivation, I doubt you'll achieve much. You might consider replacing the hated corner cabinet with one that is a pullout in the other area. A good place to store napkins, paper plates, placemats, board games or whatever is needed where the table are. I would leave the sink where it is in the peninsula.

• PRO
    Eco Method Interiors
    last month

I would leave the sink wear it is, as mentioned above installation and placement can be tricky. Plus, having the sink so close to the oven may feel kinda crowded. Fully support leveling off the counter

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all! Honestly, much of the motivation for the redesign is that we don't like the current layout (or the granite). The current sink placement is a last-last resort. One reason we moved the oven to the fridge wall was the proximity to the corner sink. We originally wanted to do an island and open up the kitchen but were told by many that we don't have the room.

One plus, we are on a crawl space and can get to the plumbing super easy. Electrical is just as easy to move in the house.

• decoenthusiaste
    last month

Don't know your measurements but an island that ends in your dining space with a table might work.

• Amy Glasscock
    last month

As far as your finishes I think off-white cabinets will look great with the Taj Mahal quartzite. For the flooring, I assume that's the existing wood flooring? You can always choose a backsplash last. Since that quartzite has quite a bit of pattern to it, I would consider that your main pattern and keep any backsplash super simple (100% team subway tile here, in off-white). Making your kitchen feel finished will be all about styling it! Vase of greenery, cutting boards leaning against the wall, a tray to hold things, etc.

Another thing people are doing to make kitchens look more 2021 is removing some of the upper cabinetry and installing open shelving instead. I know that's not always ideal though. In addition I like cabinet hardware to look a little bit custom: knobs for doors, pulls for drawers and different sized pulls for the size of the drawers.

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the advice on finishing!

Does anyone have any thoughts on glass panels in cabinet doors?

• nidnay
    last month

After living with a corner sink in two houses, I vowed that would be one of the absolute no-no’s when we built our home. Total pain to work with, difficult to put any type of cutting board next to the sink and have it work well. You cannot stand side by side with another person, dishwasher door when open is literally right behind you. I would never put a sink or any appliance in a corner….you lose your practical and easily accessible linear space both left and right of the sink or appliance. It’s just a terrible configuration.

• cheri127
    last month

As already stated, corner sinks are awkward. Only one person can use it at a time and dishwasher placement isn't great. I can see, however, why your KD put it there. The biggest problem (besides awkwardness) is that it does nothing to solve your gripe of seeing it when sitting at the counter. You could put it where the range is now but you'll need to go down a size or two if you want to preserve symmetry (not the end of the world IMO). The problem with that, though, is that you'll have all that space on the penisula that will essentially be useless in terms of work space. Ask me how I know this.

Since moving the sink to the corner won't solve your line of sight problem, I'm in the camp of leaving it where it is. Doing away with the tier will give you more depth on the counter so you won't be that close to it and you won't be looking down into it. If you have a deep, pretty, undermounted sink, I think you'll find it less offensive.

• AnnKH
    last month

The wall next to the fridge has light switches in it - if you remove that wall, where do the switches go? If you don't want to switch to a counter-depth fridge, perhaps make the counter on that side a few inches deeper, so the fridge doesn't stick out as far.

When we remodeled our kitchen, I made a list of goals: increase storage space; improve efficiency of the layout; eliminate clutter on the counters; eliminate angled upper corner cabinets. I have a U-shaped kitchen, about the same size as yours, but with 2 outside walls - my sink is in the middle (under a window), with fridge on the left (like yours) and range on the right. We didn't really change the footprint, but with a few minor tweaks to appliance placement, we made a huge improvement in function.

What I'm hearing is that your goal is to keep dirty dishes out of sight. Eliminating the raised bar will definitely open up the kitchen to the dining room - I agree with cheri127 that a deep sink will help a lot!

As the owner of a U kitchen, I understand your feelings about the corners. But since one of yours opens to the dining room, I would do as decoenthusiate suggested, and put drawers in the corner, facing the dining room. That gives you full utilization of the space.

My old kitchen had 2 crappy lazy susans, and I hated them. I replaced one of them with a super susan - there is no center pole; the turntables are mounted on shelves. I use it for small appliances, and it's fantastic. For the uppers, I replaced the angled corner cabinet with Easy-reach uppers - another vast improvement.

Making your uppers taller will give you a lot more storage space - especially if you do like I did, and order an extra shelf for each cab. Above the fridge, I had my cabinet maker build pullouts - they are ideal for lightweight, bulky stuff - we use them for cereal boxes and paper towels, and the big canning pot we only use for a few weeks a year (and then it's out all the time - we can every few days as things ripen).

As you are planning, make sure you plan out where everything will go: dishes, silverware, pots and pans, cookie sheets, spices, potholders, storage containers.

T. Jones thanked AnnKH
  • T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the comment cheri127. Our thoughts for moving the sink off of the peninsula are that we can have a large space to place food for family gatherings. We also think that with the sink in the corner, once guests are done eating, the dishes can be put more out of the way. We don't tend to prep next to our current sink anyway, and see moving it as giving more prep space on the counter/peninsula. We are curious how you know this, though.

nidnay - it is good to know that you have not liked either corner sink you have had. We are not necessarily in favor of the corner sink, per se, but we can't figure out a better place to put it. We want to like the new design, so are definitely weighing the pros and cons of various ideas.

• cheri127
    last month

@T. Jones In the house we just moved from we had a peninsula to the right of our sink that I thought would be an amazing amount of counter space when designing the kitchen but it wasn't. We never used it as a work space (we also never used the space to the left of the cooktop). All prep was done between the sink and the range. The hutch counter was lower and used as a breakfast bar and for baking. We did put snacks on the peninsula when friends were over but otherwise it collected junk.

Ask your designer for a rendering that has the counter and sink installed. I think you might find it looks a bit odd, half in and half out of the walled kitchen space.

Mamagoose's layout is very efficient (love the breakfast/snack counter) but in some ways this discussion is purely academic bacause you hate the sink in the peninsula, so much so that it's driving the remodel. Despite the ominous warnings, you may find that you prefer the corner sink even with it's drawbacks. Do you know anyone who has one so you can actually test it?

Our prior kitchen

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks mama goose- great ideas! We are planning to use full-depth cabinets around the fridge to build it in. (This was my bad with the designer.)

We have a walk-in panty to the other side of the entry to the kitchen. The cabinet open under the seating overhang is a great idea - we will definitely consider that. Thanks for the draw-up, pics, and links!

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    last month

@cheri127 Thanks! Your picture looks great to me :) I agree; this is academic, but I am an academic, so this is par for the course for me...

This type of forum is great for ideas, like the cabinet open under the seating overhang, which is something we would have never thought of. i didn't exactly intend for it to be a corner sink bashing, but the issues with it are great to know. We more or less were interested in ideas to improve/finish the design.

The main driver of the remodel is the camo granite and poor quality/30-year old cabinets. We are just looking to get as much from the redesign as we can. We originally wanted an island but are now working to improve the existing layout. We host 5-10 people a minimum of 8 times per year for occasions. Plus, we have kids' friends over randomly. So, space on the peninsula is a big plus, since we use it for serving food, seating, prep, etc.

We have been working on this since Oct., have "moved" the kitchen into at least three other areas of the house but nothing worked. We are essentially designing our on (or at least coming up with our own ideas for the designer to put into 2020) - everyone else we have talked to is slammed and at least four companies never called us back.

This is why we greatly appreciate the comments from all of you!

• felizlady
    last month

The dishwasher should be next to the sink. If you rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, you will be dripping across the counter more than necessary.

• felizlady
    last month

I don’t care for the beige and gray color scheme.