Need help with builders risk insurance

Suzy Lee
last month

Hello. I live in California and currently having major renovations being done to my house. I have a mortgage on the property. Do I need to tell them I am having renovations being done? My current home owners policy is about to drop me due to the construction and no one can live in the house while it's being renovated. After researching online I guess I need builders risk insurance? and do I have to provide that to my mortgage company?

I am having a lot of trouble finding a company that would give me builders risk insurance because I am not a contractor. I do have a contractor but he does not provide builders risk insurance and it is something I need to purchase on my own. Does anyone know any insurance companies that would insure me as just the property owner?

I am new to all this so please educate. Thank you!

Comments (20)