SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_768497500

Kitchen layout help

David M
2 years ago

Hi! My wife & I want to remodel our kitchen and are looking for help with the layout. I attached the current plan below along with a sketch showing the whole house for context.

Here's some relevant information based on the FAQ and "sweeby test":

• Ceilings are 8' tall
  • Fridge will be roughly 36" wide and counter-depth, 36" gas range, normal dishwasher
  • Both my wife and I cook. We have two small kids who we hope will enjoy sitting at the "breakfast counter peninsula" as they grow older, and will help out with age-appropriate tasks
  • We're planning to use white shaker cabinets and think of the space as: warm, tranquil, spacious (for a galley-style layout), transitional style, casual, sleekly simple, homey, and accessible.
  • We enjoy cooking, though nothing too complicated, and definitely want function over form -- this is not a show kitchen, but we still want it to look nice. :) We only do minimal baking (cookies, muffins, banana bread, etc.).
  • Goals: create some seating space for kids/guests (a full island doesn't seem possible). That's currently blocked by a fireplace that juts into the kitchen creating an awkward zigzag and precluding the peninsula. We're coming from an apartment with a small kitchen so we're excited about having more space for us both to work without bumping in to each other.

Our current concerns are:

• The width is awkward: 6'6" is wide to work back-and-forth but not wide enough for an island. If we shrink it, cost will go up, and we'll lose the peninsula.
  • The range seems oddly placed, but perhaps it's enough to move it "down" a bit. It shouldn't be hard to extend the gas line.
  • We're not designers so we're missing something that we'll regret after a very expensive (for us) remodel.

Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated! Thank you in advance! :)

Comments (31)