SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humbleandkind

Landscape Design Help

humbleandkind
2 years ago

We live in zone 6b and are looking for ideas for what to plant in our front beds. We purchased a landscape plan after providing detailed information similar to that below, but it was way too busy and complicated (57 plants with many different varieties), and the second version we had done missed the mark too, so we’re trying to come up with something on our own that we can go back with or just have our garden center plant.

The house faces south-east and the front beds get pretty much full sun through mid-afternoon (the side bed in front of the propane tank is full shade). The soil seems standard with no puddling (we mulch each spring). Deer definitely enjoy the arborvitae that run down one side of the house, and we spray them occasionally (with a product that I believe is basically coyote urine) which seems to help, and they generally leave the other plants in the yard alone. We do have a slight grading issue on the bed to the right (facing the front door) because of the downspout so we plan to address that (we were given the option of redirecting it, adding stones, or adding a rain barrel). We are drawn to simple, structured beds with not too much variety. My plan for both beds was to do a row of small boxwoods even with the lowest step (not sure how many or spacing), with a row of something behind them, and maybe something interesting in the cutout near the water spigot. But I have no idea what those “somethings” should be. We really like roses, hydrangea and salvia, but I know those just looks like sticks much of the year here so I’m not sure those would provide sufficient foundation coverage with the boxwoods. Previously, these beds were filled with leggy rhododendrons and overgrown Alberta spruce that were affected by spider mites. After having all that removed (and everything powerwashed), we love the openness and the natural light we now get in the front of the house, so we don’t want to plant anything that will block the front windows. I was also thinking I could do a front row of annuals in the bed to the left to provide early color.

I’ve attached pictures of the beds and dimensions. Regarding the bed to the right (facing the front door), we were planning to go with expansion option #1 so we could get more space between the plants and foundation but not interfere with the underground sprinklers which start in front of the bottom step. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments (20)