SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Luncheon porch party featuring kahlua

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A dear old family friend is coming for a porch get together sometime early July. Once again I get to have the fun of returning to thinking about party menus!! Our two families go way back to childhood for our parents, and our Moms were good friends, so I want to evoke some of the memories of good past summer times spent together. They lived on a lake and we had a boat so we often picnicked but I don't remember anything special food-wise other than standard good outdoor summer fare, but I do remember her Mom liked to make cocktails and it was at her house I first tasted kahlua. Her mom made kahlua milkshakes, she was one of those people with a high metabolism so could eat almost anything and not gain weight, but I'm not so blessed.

So I'm thinking I will serve low fat white russian cocktails. Even low fat they are dairy rich so I'm trying to think of a light summer lunch/appetizer menu that will go good. Since kahlua is Mexican I'm thinking light Mexican easy on the dairy.

Chips and a good guacamole would be one thing. Maybe some type of macerated fruit on skewers, and then I'm' thinking maybe grilled chicken fajitas because hubs likes them, or grilled fish or shrimp fajitas and sweet potato salad. Another option would be some type of grilled fish served over a bed of black beans and rice or the quinoa corn salsa featured below. I'm not lovin the idea of salmon with coffee flavor but maybe I'm wrong. I like this recipe for grilled baramundi, but that's not a fish I can get her in the upper Midwest. We don't get the diversity of ocean fish, and what we do get is best bought frozen, out here in the sticks. Tuna would be an option. I have flounder, but it's so soft . . . halibut would be a rare find . . . I'd rather not do tilapia or pollock, which are the fishes du jour here . . . I don't live close enough to the great lakes to get fresh whitefish or lake perch. I can easily get little pan fishes, mostly sunfish. I'd rather not serve those even though they are wonderful, because they take a long time to fry up, so many. I'd rather do something substantive I can make on the grill in one grilled swoop.

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/barramundi-tacos-black-quinoa-corn-salsa/a2ca6493-4d34-4577-8c0a-2b0e5c7c0fb8?current_section=recipes

Edited to add that if I invite my grumpy Dad, he could bring a basket of the lake perch and hubs could busy himself making them. That would be a great memory for both Dad and my friend and since hubs is kinda shy, would give him something to do. I haven't seen my friend in three years, not sure I want to subject her to my Dad for an extended period of time. However, her mom and dad were two of his best friends. But he is so depressed he just brings everyone else down and reminds everyone of what is missing, not enjoying what we have . . . I'm torn on that one.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions