SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lekhouse

Help choosing kitchen sink! Torn btwn cast iron and granite composite.

lekhouse
2 years ago

Hi. I've read all the threads but I'm still really torn about which kitchen sink to choose for my remodel.

I love the look of an enamelled cast iron sink, probably with a farmhouse-style apron front but I feel like a granite composite might be the more practical choice. White in either instance. I haven't completely ruled out stainless but it is really not my prefered look.

With cast iron I do worry about gray pot marks and general loss of luster over time. I'm also a little concerned about things breaking in the cast iron basin. And I feel like the sound of heavy pans scraping against the sink might hit me like nails on a chalk board. Does anyone have that issue?

Those of you with an apron front, does the front get scratched by belt buckles and the like?

I would definitely get a grid to help mitigate these problems but don't love the idea of washing a sink full of dishes with a grid in the bottom. I just prefer the feel of the smooth sink bottom, if that makes since. I guess that's a minor issue.

Those of you with double basin cast iron sinks, do you find that the divider tends to get pot marks? I cook and bake a lot and use heavy dutch ovens almost daily. I'm used to a stainless sink that takes endless abuse but I don't love the appearance.

I have a busy kitchen with mulitple active children and adults who work from home and cook frequently so the sink is in constant use. I need something low-matenenance that can withstand hot pans, careless children and lots of messy cooking projects. I will admit to not being the most concientious housekeeper.

I really want a cast iron farmhouse sink but I'm also really worried I might regret the purchase. Even my kitchen designer thinks the granite composite is the better, more user-friendly option. Help sway me one way or the other please! I have to make a decision soon.

Comments (35)