SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Show your garden pictures - look inside Jinx

Tina Marie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Well these are not garden, but planters, etc. Jinx, if you remember, I bought a Peggy Martin rose (the Katrina rose). I am not much on bare-root, but I actually have 3 new roses - all bare root. So far they are doing well, but the PM rose, which is a climber, is tiny little blooms and leaves. It is growing though!

I couldn't get a good shot straight in front of it. It's in a vintage concrete planter, one of two I have that belonged to my mom. :)

My ferns are doing soooo good! This is a Kimberly Queen fern and it's huge. I have a large boston fern in the back.

I've shared this planter before, it's an old copper boiler. This was pruned back today so you don't see any blooms on the velocity blue salvia in the back. The bacoppa (in the front) does not have many blooms right now either as it got a severe pruning. There's a pink penta in there that was getting croweded, pink million bells and english ivy also. We have someone coming to clean the porch. Not the best spot for lots of flower pots, etc. but I can't do without them.

I have several "vine poles" as I call them. Here are my coneflowers and this iris was a cutting from my grandfather. It's a beautiful blue. The basket has diplidenia and vinca vine. I have a "false" hydrange vine (yes, that is the actual name) to be planted here. See the wooded area and the opening about half way in the picture? That's where the deer go in and out. Yes, we have utility lines. I am in the county, not city.

Now ya'll share some pictures! This fall we hope to remove some crepe myrtles, add an arbor (had one off the patio before we put up a pergola), and oak leaf hydranges along the back property line. I'm wanting to mulch in a large area along our privacy fence and have lots more plants/flowers, and a small tree or two. I'll have to share some pictures of back yard landscaping another time.

Who's next?

Comments (63)

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Jinx, Chaste trees are my favorite! I've had them at the last two houses, but no place for one here. :(

Tina, I am all about patina too, but somehow would feel guilty because I know Mom liked it shiny. It's currently in the third floor sitting area where I have my orchids that are not blooming.

Oh my! Gorgeous, Pink!

Nuts, I've never heard of Mexican Hydrangeas. Beautiful.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

Arcy, love a shade garden…sigh. love seeing all the beauty. ”weed cats’😂😂

Tina Marie thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • Related Discussions

Is your dog named Star? I can't find your kitchen garden picture

Q

Comments (2)
    That be the one; thank you! For the life of me I couldn't figure out where I'd been on Friday, and didn't even remember the title of the post. Much obliged!
    ...See More

Show off your favorite pictures of your collections...

Q

Comments (79)
    No rot at all - perhaps it's just because none of the water actually comes in contact with the plants? It's very low maintenance and has made for some nice growth. Whenever any of them start to look a little dehydrated, I just put the top on for a few days to really kick up the humidity, and things just seem to do well. Looking forward to trying some other stuff the same way. Have one jade I'm trying to do as root-over-rock in the same way; appears to be working well so far.
    ...See More

Show us a picture or two from your spring garden of 2017

Q

Comments (120)
    I looked through this thread again tonight and enjoyed everyone's spring photos. Seems I took very few photos of my garden last year as was busy and most of the garden was the same as previous years so little change. Enjoyed seeing all your spring blooms and still waiting for warmer weather and our spring. Will need to walk some neighborhoods to see what others have planted. Campanula, planting all those bulbs was well worth the work as they look lovely in bloom. While we have spent some time in GB we did not know any gardeners but enjoyed walking through many public gardens. Also, that was before I became a serious gardener. Now I think I would look for someone local to talk gardening with when I travel. Someone who would not think the glint in my eye was something odd.
    ...See More

Show us a picture or two from your summer garden of 2017

Q

Comments (56)
    Roxana, yes I was...95% I’d say. It still pops up but much more manageable. I go around every couple of months in spring and summer to catch stragglers but it’s almost entirely gone from lawn and easy to pull if it pops up in the bed. it was creeping up from an adjoining ditch and I battled it unsuccessfully for 10 years! Oddly, it seems to only expand in one direction. So now I’ve cut it off from my yard the ditch is even doing better. It seems not to be able to expand backwards where it has already grown and maybe depleted soil. Just my unscientific observation. Lol It also doesn’t like lime so be diligent about liming your lawn as you try to get rid of it. Aerating the lawn annually also helps improve drainage. good luck!
    ...See More
  • Feathers11
    2 years ago

Beautiful photos! I may need to move south simply to plant a Vitex.

This is my first spring in my home, and I’m having some structural work done that’s prevented much landscaping. But I did find these hanging baskets last month for my front porch that I’ve been enjoying immensely, until I can get my hands in the dirt.

Tina Marie thanked Feathers11
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beautiful @martinica and @Feathers11!! I don't think we have Chaste trees here, or at least I don't believe I've seen them. They look a bit like lilacs or butterfly bush which we do have. @nutsaboutplants beautiful plants! I don't think I've seen mexican hydrangea either. @l pinkmountain I love that planter! @Allison0704 oh no I wouldn't mess up your boiler, I was just pointing out mine was bought (has no special meaning) and was not in perfect shape when I bought. I didn't want ya'll to think I was ruining a perfectly good antique LOL.

• czarinalex
    2 years ago

I live in deer country so have found ways to outsmart them. I planted lots of daylilys, lambs ears and catmint in my front walkway garden. They won't eat the leaves when they first come up and then my garden is not in the deers normal buffet route, so they don't come back(usually) when the daylilys flower. I've also been able to hide some Echinacea and even hosta in the bed!

This is a pic from last June.

Unfortunately that large tree in the picture was dead and had to be removed. Everything was trampled and broken. After crying for about 10 minutes, I cut everything and removed the devastation. To add insult to injury, the deer came that night and ate anything that wasn't trampled.

I came up with an idea for the remaining tree stump, which measured 30" across. I made a planter with wire, lined it with sphagnum moss and planted flowers. So this is what it looks like now.

Tina Marie thanked czarinalex
  • Springroz
    2 years ago

Wow!!! Arcy, that shade garden is magnificent! I have my Covid garden from last year, so things need to fill in a bit more to get an overall effect, but the individual flowers have been spectacular this year(IMO)

Tina Marie thanked Springroz
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I built this little rock wall last week to help with water flow

Tina Marie thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Tina Marie thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Coco
    2 years ago

Vitex are hard to capture. Of all my pics this is the only one that shows its true beauty. I let mine grow free form instead of shaping into a tree.

Unfortunately, it is no more. One year it never put out new growth. Digging out the roots was a royal PITA!

Tina Marie thanked Coco
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beautiful @Coco. It really does look alot like a butterfly bush. @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 everything looks so good! We have a wall out of that same rock, or very similar. Actually two that landscapers did years ago when we had the front done. Over the years I've taken out/replaced much of what started there. Our rocks may be flatter, more rectangular almost. Good job! @Sueb20 YAY! We almost always do a small veggie garden. This year only zuke, cukes and a few variety of tomatoes - of course my favorite CHEROKEE PURPLE!! @czarinalex your flowers are looking good too! I love that last picture.

Thank you guys for indulging me. I really love gardening!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I love seeing everyone's pictures and I feel your enjoyment!

I enjoyed building that rock wall so much, everything from using my trailer to pick up the rocks and unloading them and planning it out, it was a great joy although the weather wasn't quite as hot as it is now LOL

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Im enjoying these pictures. Sometimes i wish I had a larger lot for gardening but i can barely keep up now. Heres a picture of the garden next to my kitchen door. The hydrangea in front is even pretter now.

And heres a small bed looking the other direction.

Tina Marie thanked dedtired
  • Coco
    2 years ago

Dedtired, what is that in the last pic? It's gorgeous!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Coco, it's Astilbe. Haven't seen that for sell in stores for years now. It's hardy in our area... or at least where we just moved from. Gotta get used to that!

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

The elusive (to me) Astilbe. The varieties with which I'm familiar only grow in cool northern climates with plenty of shade. I've never had success with it even here in zone 5b. I have pressed it a number of times as part of wedding bouquets, though--it's a lovely seasonal addition to flower arrangements.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

This was my maternal great grandmother's planter. It was at my parent's house and I brought with me. I lost the paper sticker that came with this plant I saw at Lowe's, but it's a trailing plant so I thought it would be good here.

(Click to enlarge all... why, Houzz? Why?!)

Our new house came with a lot of blue glazed containers. I'm giving the existing asparagus ferns a chance but replaced a sunburned house fern with Torenia.

The largest two containers from our last house are on either side of the garage now. I planted Oleander (almost put one of my eyes out) and blue Scaevola. The tropical storm wind was blowing when I took this earlier today, and I staked them about an hour ago.

Until I scratched my eye, and looked up Oleander, I had no idea it was so dangerous, or how big it gets here. LOL The local garden shop suggested it for these containers, but I will put in the ground this fall.

Tina Marie thanked Allison0704
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

These two containers came with the house and are on the patio with table/chairs. Purple Shouwers Ruellia (Mexican Petunias) and Scaevola Bombay White. The center variegated plant didn't have a tag.

Getting lopsided. :-/ Mystic Spires Blue Salvia, SunPatiens Compact Coral Pink and Ipomoea Little Blackie.

Tina Marie thanked Allison0704
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

Copper plants I bought 15+ yrs ago. Evolvulus hybrid Blue My Mind with a grass.

Couldn't resist this yellow beauty, which is next to the small patio. Lost its tag. Hardy and will get 6x6 (I hope). ETA: Golden Thryallis

I also planted several varieties of Lantana in the ground, along with Dark Blue Moody Blues Speedwell and Lollipop Verbena along the fence line and pool.

I knew we were meant to buy this house when I saw the Spiderwort in the backyard.

This is a small part of the backyard of the house where we lived 20yrs. Huge corner lot. Tons of azaleas, hosta, Spiderwort and more. Lots of wildflowers and ferns in shaded areas. The couple that bought the house from us stil live there, and pretty much cut everything down because they are not yard people. Even the foundation plants.

Sunrise this morning.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Yes, Astilbe. Thanks Allison. Mine spreads a bit and i sometimes find it in odd places. I am outside philadelphia, zone 7a. Here is a picture of the hydrangea now that it has blossomed more.

Tina Marie thanked dedtired
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Going through pics, found this one from my last house. I had exact matching Crapes on either side of entry. I miss them!

• Coco
    2 years ago

Allison, could your yellow flowering shrub be Golden Thryallis?

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

@Coco Yes, thank you! I recognize the name. Will edit to add.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Allison0704 I always plant torenia; mine is more of a blue purple. I have green glazed pots in our patio sitting area. I wish I could find more. I'll have to add a picture. @dedtired I have a similar deep pink hydrangea, but it stays that color, I have no intermingling of purple, blue, etc. Isn't it funny how they can change color (acidity of the soil I think).

This is from the porch last night. The Mr. does the pruning and he does a little more "manicured" that I like, but all will be good in a few weeks. It will look a bit more "wild". LOL Sadly the big blue spruce you see will be coming down this fall. Which may or may not be a major ordeal! You can see the pinestraw hasn't been refreshed in this area yet.

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Czarinalex, I like you remade the tree stump!

Allison, the older concrete planters like your mom‘s go for a premium at the local estate sales.

Enjoyed all these photos. So interesting based on everyone’s regions.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    2 years ago

Here are mine. My little mini rose hill on the side

And these pink plants spread so beautifully!

Here's a side view going up the stone steps to the hot tub.

And here is one of our two water falls. These don't photograph well.

And the other.

Tina Marie thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

@beaglesdoitbetter I recall you showing us a lot/acreage in Florida, but don't remember if you purchased. If so, have you started planning?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

Jinx, I have crepe myrtles on either side of my driveway entrance way and I planted them as teeny little sticks many years ago. They haven't bloomed yet but they're white.

• Tina Marie thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Beautiful, Bumble! I wonder how mine look now, I can’t bear to drive by my old house.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

Yes, Bumble, I love that symmetry. It's a beautiful entry.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    2 years ago

@Allison0704 Yes we bought a 16-acre lot in Davenport 20 minutes from Disney. But then we spent over a year getting a permit for a driveway and now the building market has gone insane in Orlando and we can't even get a builder to give us a quote w/o making a $5,000 deposit just for the quote!

We are, at the moment, planning on buying a townhouse or smaller house in a resort community like Reunion or Solterra and staying there part of the year and maybe renting it out the other part and then we will build the new house when things calm down a bit.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

The building market has gone insane everywhere, @beaglesdoitbetter. Even with the price of materials skyrocketing, construction has not stopped in the Panhandle. Finding someone that wants to do smaller jobs is not easy. We asked for a quote to add spa (hot tub). Over the phone "oh, we can do for around 25K." First quote came in at 54K and didn't include everything. We changed location (plan was never to attach to existing pool) and the price was almost 60K. Still wasn't all inclusive. Insane! We were told we would be Job #76 on the waitig list.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    2 years ago

@Allison0704 I can't think this is sustainable over the long-term. Are you waiting on the hot tub until things calm down or going forward? We kind of feel there will be an inevitable bubble-burst and then there may be builders eager for work rather than us having to fight to get a quote.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Oh, I agree. It's going to burst. Don't blame you for waiting. DH needs for his entire body, so I looked into Jacuzzi and Hot Springs. Ordered the HS Highlight Jetsetter, which is theraputic and not recreational, so much better for him. The Driftwood cabinet blends with the house and the shell is a solid color. It will go in a more shaded area next to the small patio w/table and chairs, so not next to the pool.

• Coco
    2 years ago

Oakley, get Benary seeds. I think the flowers are some of the best zinnias.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/zinnias/benarys-giant-series/

Tina Marie thanked Coco
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

Coco, thank you, I will!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Here are a few from around the yard and gardens. I havent taken a recent photo of the veggie garden, but it is getting close to producing lots of tomatoes. I have already picked several red and yellow cherry tomatoes and a few squash.

Tina Marie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

My one phlox started blooming finally. Lots of buds coming. :)

We went out to my Dad’s place yesterday and planted a beautiful purple Crape Myrtle … it has a view of the pond beyond it. I gave him a Red Yucca last year, it’s blooming so pretty, forgot to get a picture! We were riding around in his golf cart and saw a snake streaking across the pond (he’s not on a golf course, just has a cart to tool around his acreage).

Tina Marie thanked Jilly
  • party_music50
    2 years ago

BEAUTIFUL gardens, everyone!!! I've never seen a Vitex tree -- they're gorgeous!

I should have tried to get a photo last evening as I watched a deer strip all the lowest leaves and apples from my smallest tree, and then proceed to eat the tops of my favorite phlox. I share with wildlife. Here's a bit of my indoor garden. :)

Tina Marie thanked party_music50
  • party_music50
    2 years ago

How about blackberries and peaches? :)

Tina Marie thanked party_music50
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    2 years ago

This has been such a pleasuge….so much beauty. TY for starting it TM!

Tina Marie thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • pudgeder
    2 years ago

Here are a few from my garden.

Huge hosta -- the 4th sparkly thing is there to keep the deer away. Seems to work.

This is Baby Mouse ears hosta.

Tina Marie thanked pudgeder
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

Sitting out here this evening, DH and I are enjoying the new(ish) lights in our walled garden. Ahhhh!

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lovely @LynnNM! We love sitting out in the evenings. We just got solor string lights for our pergola and I can't wait to get them up! One night this week I was thinking we need some more accent lighting in the front and back. I need to get on the hunt!

Thank you everyone for sharing your gardens!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I lost my post! I’d posted a bunch of new pics, went to add another, and poof.

I mainly wanted to share this beautiful Monarch on our Vitex. There were three of them … DH took this with his cell phone.

This NOC enjoying our gardens that same evening:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Jinx, that butterfly!

Lynn, lighting is everything! Love the shadows.

• pudgeder
    2 years ago

That butterfly against the purple of the vitex! Wow!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

When we put in our pool at the beachhouse, I fell in love with a pool literally surrounded by blue hydrangea, my fave. My LA was not enthusiastic, as he said that they don't always do well oceanfront, so I compromised with just a line of them along one part of the fence. They were a little sad at first, then filled out and seemed healthier, but this year they have finally come into their own and I'm delighted.

Here they are:

And these are around the hot tub.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Am I allowed two in a row, or should i create a pseudonym? These are from back home in CT.

Trellised euonymus, IIRC, that we put in last Fall against our potager fence. (little pinky up)

Our gardeners put this in to allow our cukes to climb, from branches they found in the woods. I love it.

This space calls out for a bride. For now, it's just a dog.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH