SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Boy, do slugs ever love petunias!!

Golly darn!! Although I have never investigated the possibility, slugs must have an acute sense of smell. How else would they know when new plants - ones that they LOVE to eat - arrive in a garden? No sooner than I plant up a summer container including petunias, then they are there in droves to mow 'em down!!

I have not been a big fan of petunias in the past but recent bicolor intros in unusual color combinations just blend so well with the dark leaved dahlias that I cannot resist trying them out. Last year, they got eaten so fast I had to replace the contents of the container twice! This year, I have been hand picking the slimy nasties so they haven't done as much damage but it is still significant. What was an attractive, full and flowering planting 2 days ago is now in shreds.

The damage to the petunias is far worse than I experience with my hostas - and I've been complaining about slug damage on those for years. I have tried all the tools in my playbook - planting in containers, elevating the containers, copper tape (doesn't even slow 'em down), liberal applications of Sluggo, spraying with dilute ammonia. Nothing seems to work....except hand picking. And that is only temporary, as they have apparently put the call out to all their brethren and have alerted them to the plant buffet and the container is inundated with more the next morning!

I can't win :-( My biggest gardening failing....even worse than the deer damage.

Comments (31)