SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickimc66

What to do with unused breakfast nook area in kitchen remodel

Nicki
2 years ago

Hi all. Working on redoing our kitchen and need thoughts on what to do with a breakfast nook area that is unused. Posting pictures from the real estate listing. None of the decorations in the photos are mine. Definitely not my design aesthetic—my vibe is more California Coastal/Transitional. The issue is you can see the dining table from the nook area and I think it's weird to have a table that looks directly at another table. We always eat at the dining table. Right now the space just has some random furniture that we had when we moved in. We already installed new stainless appliances. The ceiling fan you see in the nook area is long gone and we will add a light that can be swagged depending on what kind of furniture we add here (keeping the junction centered for any future eat-in kitchen action). Attaching a pic of that. Cabinets are sorted (light grayish blue); basically like for like with a slightly longer run on the sink side. Counters will be white or light colored quartz. Ceiling tray/soffit will be removed. Black hood vent over cooktop and black faucet and accent light fixtures. Backsplash TBD. Floors stay for now but will be changed eventually. It's a townhouse in an HOA, so angled windows and wall in the nook area can't be changed. Windows in the nook area are too low for cabinet height and we definitely don't want a built-in banquette. Plantation shutters will be removed and the grooved paneling on the walls will be removed and replaced with drywall. We would like to keep the space open for future resale (lots of others in our neighborhood use that space for another dining table) so I am looking for furniture solutions that are freestanding/movable. We are a 2 adult household. The kitchen is a galley (8' 9" wide by 20' long) and the area in question is 8' 9" wide and about 6' depth to work with. The wall to the right of the windows is 45.5". Also attaching an inspiration pic of an idea that caught my eye. Any ideas about what to do with this space will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)