SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_584632782

Need help to finish the master bedroom

Nathalie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Long story short, we purchased this new home in 2018, straight after moving from Europe. We had to get furniture at that time (bed, nightstands) quite in a rush.

Today, we are having all the carpets replaced with wooden floor (vinyl, actually). and I want to use this as an opportunity to redo the master in a nicer way, I find it quite plain looking.

The lighting of the room is quite low, as you can see in the picture. The room is somewhere around 18 x 20 ft, ceiling is 10ft

The flooring will be light (Floor2000- Addiction 912)

I am thinking about painting the wall at the back with a light blue

The bed (which is just a hadboard) will go.

The 2 nightstands are Hooker Furniture Corsica chest 3 drawers

The bench is hooker too, dark wood and beige fabric

Opposite to the foot of the bed, have a long console (Beaumont from Hooker, again!) which is dark wood and a bit of light blue

I kind of like dark furniture in a bedroom because it makes me feel secure (I really don’t know from where I got that!), anyway, I am thinking about getting a dark bed, maybe 4 posters, not too heavy in term of style (maybe like the Farmhouse king bed from Pottery & Barn, I have other options too, pictures are below, I would like something high).

Do you think it will be too much of dark furniture in the room, and too heavy? Especially with the light flooring?

(I would be ready to let go of the dark color furniture but I am worried I will never get a decent price for the 2 chests, so I feel kind of stuck with them and I have no other room that can accommodate them nicely…)

Also, I feel unable to mix the bedding pattern/color/structure so I always end up in plain colors! (here is RL chambray bedding, comfy but plain), what is the secret?

How would you make the dark color furniture scheme work in a light environnement ?

Shall I get taller mirrors? What kind of rug?

Any input - at any level - will be highly appreciated..

Thank you

Flooring to be

King size bed

Other option:

Taller option (but I am not sure it will pass the door) - exist in sand/cream too - and no bench

Comments (24)