• bpath
    2 years ago

Working on #5.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Got 5

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Pretty sure I got them all. Now if I can just not question my answers. . . .

Rusty

• bpath
    2 years ago

Might have #5. But like you, Rusty, I'm going to second guess forever.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Got them all! Yay!!!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

All but #5 so far...

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Just came back and got 6. Confident with all my answers. Of course we know what that means!

• Lars
    2 years ago

I got them all quickly, but #5 took a couple of minutes.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting these, Jasdip. Sometimes the remind me what day it is!

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I don't have #5 yet.

• sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

1-4 got right away.... still stuck on 5 & 6

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

#5 is a toughie, imo. I'm glad so many of you got it! We'll see tomorrow :)

• lily316
    2 years ago

Got them all but 5 and 3. I see others have a problem with 5 but I guess everyone got 3. It'll come to me.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I keep r we thinking 5, so far I have at least 3 in possibilities. Wait, 4 possibilities! Ok, I think I have it!

• lily316
    2 years ago

I have no clue for 5. But 3 should be hitting me but it's not.

• bpath
    2 years ago

For 5, I had all the right ideas but the wrong words.. Once I started thinking of synonyms, especially regarding the spacing of the letters, it came to me.

Oddly, though, every time I look at it now, I almost have to figure out out all over again, because my previous possibilities are still hoping around in my brain!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I am confident in all except #5 and going to take another look at that one. Guess it is giving everybody a chance to second guess themselves!

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Ive only come up with one answer for 5 and im confident so curious what im missing

• Rusty
    2 years ago

^^^^^

Me too.

Rusty

• lily316
    2 years ago

I don't expect to get 5. But someone give me a clue for 3. what am I missing?

• bpath
    2 years ago

For 3, do you see the word? If so, hold ln to it for a moment. Now Now, take a look at the SHAPE of the image. ignore what the letters are. If you drew an outline around the shape, what would it look like? There might be a couple of answers, but the next step help you decide which one to use.

Now, combine the shape you drew, and the word that the letters make.

Does that help?

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Lily, think of blended families.

Rusty

• lily316
    2 years ago

Okay, I might have it now. I was thinking of that other word but didn't put the two together. Thanks. Now to solve 5. Not going to happen.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Mean, ______, mode…

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I don't have #5 either. I have an idea but really can't make it quite work.

And if FOAS's hint is what I think it is someone will really have to explain it to me, even if it's ethereal.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Well if my solution to #5 is correct then my hint is key to the definition.

• User
    2 years ago

I think FOAS’s clue is excellent. We stand united, not the other way around on this one 😀

(Definitely a synonym for what would be a big part of what would be in the answer)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

Came back for another look at #3 and finally got it. I had thought of both words, but couldn't get past having them in the wrong sequence!

• lily316
    2 years ago

raee-That's just what happened to me, I had both words but didn't put them together. Still, 5 isn't coming to my tiny brain even with clues.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    2 years ago

Number five another way?

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That works, Richard!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

1. We are counting on you
    2. A Friend in need
    3. Stepmother
    4. Caught in the moment
    5. Divided highway
    6. Season Tickets

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

All but #5 - totally missed the 'high' part 😀

• User
    2 years ago

I got ’ counting on you ‘ for #1 and caught ‘up’ in the moment for #4. The rest were right. Close enough😊

• bpath
    2 years ago

Gee, the ”r” is so wee I didn’t even see it! and yes, #4 caught up in the moment.

• User
    2 years ago

Oh my gosh! I thought that ‘r’ was dirt on my screen. I’m deducting a point from my score for poor housekeeping.

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I would never have gotten #5 but the rest ---- yes.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I didn’t see the wee r either. my screen is so cracked I have to scroll up and down just to proofread my posts. Little chance of seeing that. And yes, clearly the caught is up.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I did not get 5 and I had overseas tickets for 6.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Got them all except number 5 which is another one which doesn't work in British English. It isn't a phrase we use. Can anyone design a puzzle for ’dual carriageway’? 😉

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dual Carriageway, how cool. Do you call your highways carriageways, Floral? If so, I've never heard it mentioned on the British shows I watch, but I'll be listening more closely! I do put the CC on some shows as I really don't know what they're saying. LOL

• bpath
    2 years ago

It’s interesting to do puzzles that are in the same language, yet not! i enjoy cryptic crossword puzzles, but the ones in British publications are so hard. Much has to do with cultural references, and slang, but also just a different way of approaching the puzzle. I do a daily cryptic by an Australian, which i find easier than ones from England, but i still have to pay attention to spelling and cultural references, and, trickier, know my cricket, soccer, and rugby terms! (which I don’t. Did you know that duck means zero? It’s short for duck egg, and a duck egg is a shaped like a big zero. The things you learn!)

• User
    2 years ago

bpath, my husband uses the word goose for zero. Same reasoning.

My grandmother, from England, always called me duck. I think it was because I meant the world to her. LOL, I sure hope it wasn’t because I was a big zero.

In tennis love means zero (l’oeuf is French for egg)

Fun stuff!

Thanks for the puzzles, Jasdip.

eta FOAS should get bonus points for working with a cracked screen.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I had 'counting on you' for #1. as I didn't see the tiny 'r', either, I'll blame it on my macular degeneration. Also had 'caught up in the moment' for #4, because that's how the words are shown.

I'm really curious about what some of the other possibilities for #5 were that some of you mentioned yesterday. Care to share?

Rusty

• blfenton
    2 years ago

rusty - I do agree with you on #4.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I didn't see the "wee R" either, but I'm counting "caught up in the moment" as correct!

• lily316
    2 years ago

Could my "overseas tickets" for 5 also be an answer?

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I think the tickets wouls have tk be over c’s.

jasdip - I looked up carriageway and it was defined as each of two sides of a dual carriageway - makes me think that’s the only time rhe term is used?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Jasdip, we call highways ’roads’. ‘Carriageway’ is only used in that

one expression.

‘Duck’ only means zero in cricket. ‘Duck’ as an endearment isn't connected. It just refers to being cute and loveable.