SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
g_indecisive

Flooring Dilemma: wood look herringbone tile & sizing

G Indecisive
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi All! We are working on a kitchen reno to the ever-trendy white kitchen and unfortunately, have no choice but to also dish out the $$ to replace the floors. We have a large 800sqf tile expanse that is the kitchen + hallway + foyer. I have struggled with whether to/I can split the floor into 2 sections or not (1/ Kitchen and 2/ Foyer + hallway) and even initially wanted to install wood in section #2 to blend into the dining/living room which are wood floors. Due to many different factors & complexities (we have concrete embedded hydronic heat under the tile), we think the best course is just sticking with tile - replacing tile for tile. But I'm still stuck with keep 1 continuous flow or split into 2.

So my simplest questions for now are:

1/ Do you agree to keep 1 continuous floor vs splitting into 2 sections?

2/ I LOVE herringbone & want to incorporate into the new flooring somehow/somewhere. Part of my dilemma is tile size because of the hallway which is 54" wide. I prefer larger planks, but feel I might be limited to a 6x36 or up to 8x40 max due to the pattern in the hallway. But then I feel a 6x36 would be "too small" for the large kitchen floor. Any thoughts here? can we go up to 10x40 with the hallway still looking ”good” with the herringbone pattern preserved?

Attaching pics to try to give some proportional dimension.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource