SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_clack

Contractors Final Invoice higher than agreed upon

Beth Clack
2 years ago

We received the final invoice for a 50k home renovation today. The job was bid for two and a half months, but they took five months. When the contractor dropped off the final invoice, it included a separate invoice for add-ons. This invoice totalled 7k and included work that was clearly laid out in the original bid. I immediatley let him know we would not be paying for add-ons that were not pre-approved and signed off on in writing. (As per the contract.) He wasn’t happy m, but relented. I then noticed that they did not give deductions in the final invoice for items that were in their budget that we paid for out of pocket. We paid for all of the bathroom fixtures, shower/tub combo and surround, two bathroom vanities, etc as we wanted to pick them out. It totalled $3,580.

He is refusing to provide a lien waiver so that we can issue payment for the previously agreed upon amount. He is threatening to take us to court for the full invoice amount and the add-ons. I know that we will win as I have all paperwork, receipts, and photos. My concern is settling this in a timely fashion. We used a construction loan and need to wrap it up. Is there a way that doesn’t include paying more than agreed. We had a great working relationship through out this process. I truly hate that this has soured that relationship and kind of put a cloud over the experience. But I refuse to be bullied into oaying more than is owed.

Comments (4)