SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waysaz

Matching Brazilian Cherry (I know, I know)

Saz
2 years ago

Our ground floor (living/dining/kitchen) is mostly Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) from 1990, last refinished in 1997 and in good shape. Thanks to a kitchen flood, we need to replace flooring in that area.

Floor guy tells us that BC is no longer available in the narrow width, just 3-1/4 inch and 5-inch, and that it has less color variation than the old stuff. It will be installed and then finished in place. Insurance has approved replacing the entire floor, but I'm balking.

Why dump rare tropical wood in a landfill and replace it with lower quality just so less than 15% of it will match across a 3-foot threshold? What a waste. I'm thinking a wide horizontal strip between old and new wood would do the job (see mockup).

We haven't seen the new wood yet (floor guy has been slow with samples), but I know color matching is a huge issue with BC. Old floor has yellow undertones and I understand new wood might have clashing pink undertones. How bad could this be, especially with all of it being finished/re-finished together? We already have plenty of dusty rose in the living room, so we're used to the combo, lol.

Color-wise, cabinets will be replaced with similar (white oak, light but not too yellow) and countertop will be Caesarstone Woodlands, which is brown/charcoal. No change to the layout.

Should I just give up and pick tile for the 62 sf in question? Thanks!

original

current

mockup

Comments (15)