SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauralg5bnwpa

Advice needed on rose placement

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have an area in one of my beds that receives full sun but also catches a lot of hot wind from our A/C unit (it’s far enough away to not pose a problem for the unit) that I would like to plant a rose. I’m in Zone 5 so we have very cold winters. I’m struggling with which rose would tolerate hot wind, full sun, and cold winters. If possible, I’d like to plant one of my container roses in this spot but I’m also open to purchasing one that will perform/survive best. The container roses I have available to plant here are Day Breaker, La Park, Honey Dijon, Firefighter, Twilight Zone, Caribbean Breeze, Distant Drums, Falstaff, Boscobel, Koko Loko, Dee-lish, and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Any ideas on who would be best in these conditions? I am open to any size/color/fragrance if purchasing a different rose is the better option. Thank you!

Here is a picture of my Day Breaker just because the post needs a pretty picture.

Comments (10)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

CoriAnn in hot & dry CA, zone 9b posted Falstaff as doing well at 100 F heat. Falstaff is also cold-hardy for a friend in my zone 5. See below link:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.315752

In the rating-tab of HMF, Dee-lish has the most votes on cold-hardy and heat-tolerance. But Dee-lish has bush beauty so I would save that for a spot where you'll see often, and put lanky Falstaff in a hot & full-sun spot where you don't see it much.

My Low-thorn Firefighter and Twilight zone prefer cool & partial shade with higher demand for water.

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked strawchicago z5
  • Roses In Clay
    2 years ago

It's true, different roses do better in different conditions. I'm lazy and don't research so I'd plant them all and see which one takes off. I have the same rose planted on different sides of the house, and one takes off and one doesn't. Part of it is the soil, part of it is the sun, wind, and other factors. This is a 6B humid zone.

The soil in my front WEST facing lawn is a loamy flower bed, and therefore both my rosebushes, Crush on you and Surreal, have taken off there. I have 3 roses planted in heavy clay facing SOUTH, all of them are healthy but 2, New Dawn and Iceberg, have really taken off. Polar express put out lots of flowers and a big cane but not as big. Florentina is planted in heavy clay facing EAST in my backyard on a corner mostly against a Southern wall but with an Eastern wall near by, so she's shielded from afternoon sun. Most of my roses are planted in the middle of my backyard which is open on all sides, especially to the EAST AND SOUTH so gets no break from the sun until late afternoon when it's shaded from the final bit of Western Sun. There is one raised planter, otherwise, heavy clay soil.

Due to the relentless heat and heavy clay the roses in the middle of the backyard are smaller with one exception, Cherry Parfait has really taken off in the backyard planter. Carribean Breeze, which you have, is in the raised planter and does okay, but may be small due to the type of plant - floribunda. The Pink Simplicity Hedge is a decent size, growing in clay. However, my Surreal in the backyard raised planter struggles unlike the Surreal in the front yard which is 10x its size, and doesn't push out flowers. The others are the same, 1-2 roses or just buds at any given moment, instead of a continuous show.

Sorry this was so confusing, I should draw a pic. I guess I'm "Sink or Swim" when it comes to rose bushes.

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked Roses In Clay
  • Related Discussions

Rose placement advice?

Q

Comments (3)
    Graham Thomas should get between 5-6 hours of sun there. Watering him should't be a problem but thanks for letting me know. My baby Abraham Darby (or Darling as my son calls it) throws a fit if I go more than a couple of days without watering him. Hopefully when the roots are better developed he'll toughen up a bit. Yes, all four spots should have plenty of room for them to grow.
    ...See More

Mermaid Rose - placement advice. Pictures included. Z8

Q

Comments (7)
    While I'm not saying to put it by the tree, I disagree about planting a rose at the base of a tree. Well-established mature trees have most of their feeder roots very far from the trunk. The difficulty would be in digging a hole large enough to get the rose in there. But once planted, a vigorous climber will do just fine at the base of a tree. I have 'Orfeo' and 'Baltimore Belle' planted separately at the bases of trees, and they're already pretty substantial. I also tucked 'Eugene Beauharnais' and "Huilito" at the bases of trees, and they're doing just fine. Both are planted on the "sunny side" of the trunks. The climbers have reached up and around enough that they get plenty of sun. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

Need advice on 2x2 placement

Q

Comments (1)
    This is absolutely dictated by paneling manufacture ,contact them. Also ask if strips should be parallel or perpendicular to panel seams. Most paneling on ceiling requires nailers be 16" oc and parallel to seams.
    ...See More

Need advice on door placement

Q

Comments (8)
    @chispa I wonder if a really good mattress topper would help? I put a queen Murphy bed into my office so it can be used as a guest bedroom when my son visits. I got a good mattress topper and he said it's very comfortable (although at ~6'6" I'm sure he'd prefer a king.) I actually love the option because the bed is not used often.
    ...See More
  • LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 thank you! I have been leaning toward Falstaff but had also considered Dee-lish for that spot as well. I really appreciate the advice!

@Roses In Clay thanks! I do know what you mean. I have one bed that has higher pH soil and I‘m noticing that Bolero is really struggling to put on size there. I have a Desmond Tutu nearby that was planted at the same time/same size and is more than double the size with thicker, sturdier canes. The soil and location makes all the difference.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    2 years ago

I grew Falstaff and Dee-lish in the hot dry desert (Las Vegas). Dee-lish was more heat tolerant than Falstaff and its blooms were strongly fragrant. In the desert, my Falstaffs received afternoon shade, however, I preferred its blooms... I found the coloring to be striking, and am partial to deep reds/purples... Also in full agreement with Straw regarding the bush form... based upon growing both in the driest major city in the country, and second hottest... YMMV surely because your conditions will not be as hot or dry...

Last year, here in TX, I had two Dee-lish (own root). One made it through snowmageddon and the other did not. My Falstaff had very little damage after a week of being covered by 1/4" of ice, and then snow for another week, with temperatures that got really close to 0 (I think 5-7 degrees... in a zone 8b). Falstaff is a grafted plant that had been growing in my garden for a year before snow,ageddon hit, which places it at an unfair advantage in terms of comparison due to age and being grafted...

I found both Falstaff and Dee-lish to be great roses in the hot & dry and the hot, not very dry nor exceptionally. humid location where I currently garden ...

Bolero has a reputation of being slow to take off, for many gardeners, especially when it is own root... but it is fragrant, heat tolerant and will get there but does not create a really large bush... Earth Angel had decent heat tolerance, and in your zone, it may create a larger bush as compared to Bolero... Straw is in zone 5. I wonder if she has grown Earth Angel and if so what her experience is/was??? I know people in areas with heavy rainfall have reported balling blooms...

I do not know if any of my experiences will have useful meaning for your growing conditons, but maybe something can be extrapolated...

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    2 years ago

I would not conclude that Dee-lish is more Winter tender... both of mine were own-root one gallon plants versus a grafted Falstaff which was more mature... I have to go back and read to see if Straw mentioned whether or not her Dee-lish is own-root or grafted...

My Las Vegas Dee-lish was grafted... no snowmageddonto contend with, and it was very heat tolerant... My TX Dee-lish roses were both own root...

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Nippstress Nebraska z5
    2 years ago

I have all the roses you list except La Park and TIMF, neither of which survived my winters. Beyond these the most cold tender of these for me are probably Honey Dijon, Koko Loco, and Falstaff. I don't count any of the ones you list as entirely robustly hardy - the interesting colors tend to be less hardy (particularly russet or lavender roses) - so you're probably looking at root hardiness but not cane hardiness in the situation you describe.

My take on the most cold hardy of what you list might be Dee-Lish, Twilight Zone, and Day Breaker. The others barely hover around knee height for me after regrowing from the winter, even Boscobel (and usually Austins do well in my climate). Firefighter is SUPPOSED to be pretty hardy but I've had trouble overwintering one as a replacement for a plant that lasted a few years but wasn't ever really robust. A lot of people in zone 6 report Firefighter to be huge so it might be one where a zone's difference is important.

You might consider whether the winter winds drop your "virtual" zone in this area down a notch. On the north and east sides of my house the spring bulbs bloom a full 2 weeks later than on the south and west sides and it's a virtual zone 4 for me. I've learned that I can't plant anything in those two areas that isn't rated for zone 4 and below. It's worth an experiment but it's possible that none of the roses you list will like that area much. Earth Angel would laugh off the cold and you might look at other Buck or Easy Elegance roses as a more robust specimen to put in that wind tunnel.

Cynthia

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked Nippstress Nebraska z5
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

From what Laura has: Earth Angel, Day Breaker, La Park, Honey Dijon, Firefighter, Twilight Zone, Caribbean Breeze, Distant Drums, Falstaff, Boscobel, Koko Loko, Dee-lish, and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Here's the info. on OWN-ROOTS that I gather from HMF:

Earth Angel has a reputation of balling, best in full-sun. 4 excellent votes on cold-hardy, also best winter-survival for a friend nearby.

Day Breaker & La Park: both are floribunda & below average on cold-hardy. My experience with own-root Floribunda: 90% of them die in my zone 5, that's why the old Chamblee catalog classified Floribunda as hardy to zone 6, versus Grandiflora as hardy to zone 5. Floribunda tend to be short with short roots as own-root .. I lost at least a dozen varieties of own-root floribunda through my zone 5 winter.

Honey Dijon is a grandiflora with a better rating on winter-survival. Grandiflora are taller with deeper roots.

Firefighter: it's a tall hybrid tea but is a water-hog due to low-thorn & glossy foliage. Very vigorous in my dense & wet clay. But I still lost Firefighter 3 times as own-root due to my fault. HMF comments state that it needs shade. I agree.

Twilight Zone: water-hog since it's low-thorn & glossy foliage, survived 5+ winters since I learned my lesson from Firefighter. This need shade since it's a water-hog.

Carribean Breeze: Another floribunda, best as grafted for best chance of winter-survival.

Distant Drums: total wimp & BS-fest as reported by 2 people who grew it as own-root.

Falstaff: HMF comments stated that it likes full sun. Average in cold-hardy

Boscobel: folks who grow it as own-root said it's wimpy. Any wimpy rose is best in full-sun for faster growth.

Koko Loco: Another floribunda with the lowest rating on cold-hardy, 6 people voted it as Fair, which is like a C average.

Dee-lish: This gets 7 perfect Excellent rating on cold-hardy. Plus 9 votes of Excellent in heat-tolerance. I have 2 Dee-lish, both are 7th-year-own-roots, but the one in full sun blooms 6 times more than the one in partial shade.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild: Depends on if the rootstock is appropriate for your soil. If there's tons of rain, Austin-grafted-on-Dr.Huey don't live for more than 5 years in acidic clay. If it's grafted on multiflora, then it can handle acidic rain or snow in winter better.

LauraLG Z5b-NwPA thanked strawchicago z5
  • LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nippstress Nebraska z5 thank you! I appreciate your experience and input. This area is actually relatively sheltered from the prevailing winds which makes it a little more hospitable for tender roses. I managed to keep an Oklahoma alive over winter in this bed, though he wasn’t super happy about it. The winds are blown from our A/C unit and are very warm all summer long. My house is at a weird angle relative to the cardinal directions. This bed is in a south-southeast facing direction.

Good to know Day Breaker is pretty cold tolerant! This will be replacing my very unhappy Oklahoma at the end of summer. As for Buck roses, I have to say I’m not impressed with their cold tolerance as surprising as that sounds. I lost Silver Shadows this past winter while right next to it a Velvet Fragrance pulled through with no die back (same size/age from Heirloom). My Prairie Star and Quietness had a significant amount of die back also. Oklahoma is right next to Quietness and suffered the same amount of die back rated 3 zones warmer.

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 My Mr Fairchild is own root. 😩 Oh well, I suppose Ill just enjoy it this summer and chalk it up to lesson learned. Distant Drums is grafted from Edmund’s (as well as Honey Dijon). La Park, Boscobel, Day Breaker, Firefighter, Koko Loko, Dee-lish and Falstaff are own root. The rest are grafted.