SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339624696

Any hope left? Dried out Lady Emma Hamilton

Taco @BayArea (Zone 9b)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Newbie rose gardener here, feeling terrible that I might have killed my David Austin's Lady Emma Hamilton. I'm in Zone 9, planted LEH bare root back in March (David Austin shipped late). LEH has been the smallest of all 20 bare root roses I planted.

Side note: LEH has some reddish-purple spots on its leaves. Is this a trait of LEH? Cuz I saw this characteristic on the large potted LEH at my local nursery as well.

On June 4, I found the only bud LEH had put on, wilted:

The leaves looked dry. I hand watered LEH 2 gallons of water that day, and changed the drip irrigation schedule from 1 gallon of water for 3 times a week, to 6 gallons once a week) after learning that roses prefer one deep drink as opposed to frequent shallow drinks).

I got busy and forgot to check on her until today, June 13.

LEH looks dead, I wish she could hear me saying I'm sorry :'(

The stems have turned brown, no leaves left. I dug out my drip irrigation, only to find that the tube had been clogged and possibly too far away from LEH. No wonder it had been a slow grower... I just fixed the irrigation, gave it 2 new tubes, and hand watered 3 gallons of water. I have quite heavy clay - each gallon of water took a couple of minutes to drain. This is what it looks like now.

When planting, I placed it where its grafted union was 2 inches below soil. When backfilling, the soil and mulch may have been too thick. When digging today, I found a third stem (in the upper middle) that's brownish yellow.

Could anyone kindly advise me what else I should do, and if there's any hope left?

Comments (7)