SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Early American looking Conant-Ball wall shelf?

nhb22
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I previously had the following shelf in a garage sale for $25. Had one man look at it and tried to talk me down to $10. I declined the sale. So I recently listed on CL for $35.

I had a buyer who has so far not shown up to collect the item. As I was cleaning the shelf for him, I noticed a wood burned stamp on the bottom of the drawer. This shelf came out of a great aunts basement about 25 years ago. I had it hanging in a bathroom for 4 years, and then it's been in storage ever since. It's a bit country looking for my taste. I had assumed that one of my husbands relatives had made the shelf. It's old looking, the wood looks ripped, and to my eyes, the shelf appears to be hand made.

So I looked up the furniture stamp and found many pieces from a company called Conant-Ball out of Massachusetts. I could only find one photo with a stamp like mine (just the initials, and not circled with the company name.) From what I read, the initials only stamp indicate that the piece was built before 1909. I have searched and searched and can find nothing else on the initial stamp, or find a single wall shelf made by CB.

Is anyone familiar with Conant-Ball? I know that there were some MCM pieces made in the 60's designed and signed by someone named Howard Wright that could have some value. My piece is not MCM, and I doubt it has anymore value than what I have listed it for on CL. However, I want to make sure before I let it go.

Lots of photos...sorry! Shelf is approx. 24" x 30" and in great condition.

The draw screws may not be original

Only the drawer unit has nails in the sides.

Random photos of the wood

Comments (6)