SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teachersrule226

Artwork too small?

teachersrule226
2 years ago

The artwork came from family members and i like the prints. are they too small for this wall?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO yes too small but maybe just hang them on a smaller wall and ask the artist to do a bigger piece for that space

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Maybe i could put somethjng on the sides of the prints? i have sconces in the dining room

• Related Discussions

Art Work - Too Small for Wall?

Q

Comments (60)
    Thanks everyone ... I appreciate all the help and compliments I received on this! The rug isn't new, but it was my 3rd try until I got it "right" You know I didn't even think to move the picture up a little, to cover the box, but I will definitely do that. Unfortunately my whole house needs to be rewired, so I will have many more of these type holes to patching paint!
    ...See More

Is this wall art too small for my ginormous couch?

Q

Comments (8)
    The width isn't bad. The rule of thumb is 2/3 to 3/4 of the sofa width. The iron work is nice but I'm not sure if it has enough visual weight to balance out with the sofa. Have you considered something with more color and presence? Here is a triptych from the Houzz store.
    ...See More

Vertical art work too small for 72 inch sofa?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't see any problem with the size or orientation of the proposed artwork. While I normally look for landscape pieces over a sofa, I think a portrait orientation can work well as long as it is large enough.
    ...See More

what would you recommend for wall art?

Q

Comments (8)
    Art in your home is a personal choice. Your home is your private space, and it should reflect what is important to you--only you--not strangers on the internet. What makes a statement about you? What makes you interesting to other people? Build on that. IMHO, your new 'wall art' is more appropriate in a doctor's waiting room; it's too generic for a home (unless it truly reflects something about your life). It means nothing to me, hence my reaction to it. And triptychs bug me. But if you (or a friend) had taken that picture while on vacation, that puts a whole new spin on things. I would get rid of that mirror in a second. The only thing it's reflecting is a lamp cord. That is the worst place possible for a mirror. Put it some place where it reflects something worth seeing.
    ...See More
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

I would agree with Patricia…(she’s the expert). It’s tough because we don’t see all your walls. Could they go over the chest in the dining area with a large vase of brightly colored flowers on the table? I do like your candles on the wall there. Maybe show a couple more pictures of the space/kitchen?

• L P
    2 years ago

Another vote for Patricia’s advice! Whatever you decide, hang them closer together, and only 6-8 inches above the couch.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

They are too small, even if you tried to put something on each side. If you want to keep them in that location, you can mount them together, vertically on top of each other a few inches apart, and place a much larger square piece of art or a large circular mirror next to them. Look for something with the same sized simple black frame.

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

calidesign—I love the idea if a larger piece of art next to them after they are stacked. what kind it piece do u think would look nice?

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia, Molly, and LP.. ill try to post more pics once the kids are asleep. thanks thanks!!

• User
    2 years ago

Asking the artist to create something is a good idea, but even if not, maybe they can suggest something.

I might try this

Sylvie Demers 'Ariane' Canvas Art, 47 x 35 · More Info

but maybe the artist would object

• User
    2 years ago

Eventually you might want some of these

Tulips Throw Pillow Case, Without Insert · More Info

Tulip Pattern, Yellow Throw Pillow, 18"x18" · More Info

Cotton Linen Indian Pillow Cover Rust Orange 20"x20" Tulip Embroidery,Tulip Sway · More Info

China Old Floral Print Throw Pillow With Linen Texture, Purple, 14"x20" · More Info

• L P
    2 years ago

I was going to suggest some kind of sculptural mirror, like a sunburst. If you search ”sunburst mirror” in Shop here on houzz, you will see lots of different types.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You might try buffet lamps on the sofa table (is that a sofa table behind the sectional/sofa?) on either side of grouping and some books to "fill out" the space.

teachersrule226 thanked Flo Mangan
  • User
    2 years ago

I‘m voting for unbreakable things behind the sofa. Just a feeling.

teachersrule226 thanked User
  • teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo—- where did you get those green lamps?

eveyeone im having trouble with the website allowing me to post more pics. ill keep trying :)

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP. Everytime i get a suggestion/notification i get so excited.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I'd use a large mirror next to the vertically stacked art, so it doesn't take away from the artwork itself.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

By the way... do NOT hang artwork just 6 - 8 inches above the couch! The height in the initial photo is perfect.

Sorry... I have tall friends who bang heads against overhanging artwork when getting up from a sofa. I am also tall, and hanging artwork centered at about crotch level is disturbing for me to view.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

In other words... art should ELEVATE someone who views it. Sorry for any toes I step on, but I am serious.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You may be serious, but you are also wrong. Haha! The optimum placement is so roughly the center of art is at average eye level which is around 60” above the floor. Also, when you can put a sofa table behind a sofa, this gives more space from wall to heads on sofa. It is also why we suggest TV centers be at eye level rather than above mantels. There are always exceptions and perhaps in your home adjustments are needed but not as a general rule.

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi all. I dropped the picture down and added lamps and some plants. is this a bit better? do you think the nine frames to the right looks cluttered?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I like it! The group of 9 because you kept timing black works. I know that was hard to hang. You could have switched the two groups but I like it. Lamps are perfect. I would like to see them turned on.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I meant you kept framing black on 9 print grouping.

• User
    2 years ago

Since you asked, I think if you keep all nine framed photos they might look better to the left of the paintings. But if you want to keep them where they are, I’d think about doing 6 in two vertical columns or 4 in a square. My problem with the location is not that it is clutter but that the view of them is partially blocked by the curtains from where you took the picture, almost feel like you need to crane your neck to see them. Also the photos themselves are small enough one needs to be fairly close to appreciate them, and the sofa is in the way of that.

But I wouldn’t obsess about any of it. Overall everything looks fine and harmonious. I don’t think you need plants or greenery in the vases (which can make them look cluttered).

• Maureen
    2 years ago

This would be a pain, but I think they might look nicer one above each other next to window.

Then I’d reduce the nine prints to six, using larger mats and frames above couch and you’ll create a more balanced feel on both walls.

teachersrule226 thanked Maureen
  • Kate
    2 years ago

I would remove the plants and just do something low in the center, like books.

teachersrule226 thanked Kate
  • katrina_ellen
    2 years ago

I know its said that art doesn't need to match the furnishing, but that pink color which is dominating those two prints just doesn't look best with your rug and pillows IMO. I think the black and white prints look better with it. The rug and pillows are nice together. IMO I would switch the location of the nine prints and just don't hang the other two in that room. Just my 2 cents!

teachersrule226 thanked katrina_ellen
  • User
    2 years ago

I think there is enough salmon pink and golden mustard in both the rug and the paintings to make the art work in the space, but you could boost it by tossing some pink and lime pillow colors amid the mustard pillows (and removing altogether the blues and white pillows). You might want to stay away from floral pillows to let the art stand on its own.

Surya Lexi 22" x 22" Cotton Pillow Cover LXI001-2222 · More Info

Surya Declan DCL-001 12"x20" Pillow Cover, Burgundy/Olive/Tan/Burnt Orange/Green · More Info

Macro Pillow Cover 20x20x0.25 · More Info

Something else you could consider to unify all the colors into the space is to take the central column in your 9-photo grid and do mustard or gold frames, or light pink frames. Or if you happen to have a colorful photo that you like that has many of the same colors as the paintings, put that alone in the center of the black and white grid, or do one column of color photos with the rest black and white.

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi! Everyone’s feedback is so helpful. I made some quick changes today and here is what I have right now…

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another question… my chandalier isnt centered with our table and it is not possible to move the table. Does swagging a chandalier work in this space or should i get an electrician to move it?? or does the chandelier not even work in this space anyway and i should save for a new one??

thanks in advance for any feedback. i get so excited when i get feedback to help improve this space for my family!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Those lamps look very nice!

Just wondering whether you've tried spacing the 2 paintings a bit further apart?

teachersrule226 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks carol! I had them further apart but the prints are sort of small and it looked odd when they were apart. I thought about adding a mirror inbetween the prints but there is already a mirror in the room on the oppsite wall. i know what you mean tho bc there is a big gap between the sconces and the tulip pics

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ital mover—- thanks for the idea to move the blue and white pillows! ill use them somwhere else. I’ll hunt for some other pillows one of these days.

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo mangan—-thanks! i turned on the lamps in the pic. thanks for that original idea to add lamps.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

Your rooms have pretty clean lines; I think moving the fixture would be more cohesive than swagging it over. I like the chandelier in the space; I feel like it shares shapes with other pieces in the rooms.

teachersrule226 thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Blueberry! that makes sense and i agree with you. I like the fixture but I don’t really have a good eye for decorating so I wasn’t sure.

• User
    2 years ago

Do you need to move the fixture or the table? Hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like maybe you need to move the table closer to the window.

• teachersrule226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I need to move the fixture. moving the table makes it hard to pull chairs out and the fixture is not centered w the window