SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

kitchen sinks....

I'm hoping to update my kitchen countertops, sink, faucet etc. in the near future. I currently have a double stainless sink...nothing fancy or expensive. Probably from Home Depot or Lowes. I do want to go to a single basin sink. Most likely stainless. I'd like a white farm house style but with trying to keep things simple, not having to cut out the front of the cabinets etc...I'll just go with a regular drop in/undermount or whatever its called, stainless.

My question is, when reading a lot of sink reviews...I see a lot of complaints that food bits get left in the sink. Like they aren't angled right, too flat so food doesn't move toward the drain. We just did a remodel in a new office here at work and I know the sink they picked wasn't cheap and I've noticed the same thing.

Is that just the nature of design with a single basin you think?

Also, what should one consider when picking out a stainless sink?

Comments (55)

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I buy a LOT of sinks! ♥ Ruvati, Vigo, Franke & Kraus are my favorites. I've thrown out Kohler and think anything 18gauge is crap! Only 16ga, with pads for sound dampening. I've paid as little as $125 & as much as $1000. There's a Restore in Denver with a stack of "new-in-the-box" Franke, 32" undermount SS sinks, single bowl. That would be MY pick...IF "I" was doing a remodel this minute. Should be $250. Suggested retail $1250. (They may ship, ask if you need their phone #)

They do have a slant in the bowl to get things to move towards the drain, but it needs to be sprayed to move the junk along. Also the corners, round or square, need to be hand scrubbed. I also turn the grate over to clean it....yes YOU WANT A GRATE, it comes with one. The drawback to Franke grates...they're plastic coated and very hot water will melt the coating off, then it corrodes.

The biggest problem you'll encounter with your BIG new sink...is getting the garbage disposal to mount under it. The shallower the sink ....the better!(No more than 10" deep)

• Isaac
    2 years ago

If stainless countertops are an option, you can get a sink integrated with the countertop so there is no seam or lip for crud to build up in. Or as the previous poster said, integrated sinks are possible in solid surface too. Formica counters can have a Karran sink integrated but it isn't cheap (not that the other two are cheap).

I see a number of complaints in this forum from people who say their sink bottom is too flat to drain properly; all the older stainless sinks I have seen do not have this issue, so perhaps a salvage sink from a ReStore would be an option?

• Related Discussions

New kitchen Sink. Blanco or Nantucket Sinks brand??

Q

Comments (12)
    Well after living with my Nantucket for awhile i do have a few other thoughts. The mirror finish scratches like crazy. We are so careful but somehow it has quite a few scratches around the drain already. Also hard water is a big deal. We have to wipe it down completely and if the feet of the rack are not completely dry they will leave water marks that are very hard to remove. It’s a lot of upkeep. We dry it out after dinner and don't use it again until next meal. i find myself pouring out water glasses in the bathroom. It’s really attractive and I especially like the folding rack that sits on the top ledge but do you really want this kind of upkeep in a sink? If you have a softening system it’s probably not an issue.
    ...See More

kitchen sink to use as vessel sink

Q

Comments (14)
    Many who have vessel sinks in any bathroom but a powder room tend to get them replaced with more traditional sinks. Some are large enough, but vessel sinks have the difficulty of not easily being able to wipe water from the counter back into the sink, and smaller ones are difficult to do such simple tasks as shave or brush teeth - so the thought of washing dishes in one seems absurd. Even the bathroom type of vessel sink seems to be waning. If you found one large enough to wash dishes, you have the difficulty of the raised sides which are not convenient for doing dishes, wiping counters or prepping a meal. Kitchen surfaces have to be practical otherwise they will not sell well. Most would not find a type of vessel sink in the kitchen practical. Many other types of kitchen sinks function very well, so consumers will pick the functional sink over one that does not function well. Today, the under mount sink is very popular because it functions better than the older over mounts. The under mount sink allows water / crumbs on the counter to be wiped right into the sink and does away with a potentially gunky, moldy caulk line. I imagine people will want more this type of set up then one which increases the sides of the sink above the counter.
    ...See More

Everything but the kitchen sink. Integrated sinks: Love them or meh?

Q

Comments (42)
    Gorgeous cedar, waverly6 ! I can also recommend Odie's Oil, which is made and sold from a little business in Florida - you should be able to find it online. It's a waterproof zero-VOC wood finish - hard to explain, but it's amazingly waterproof and not shiny like many others. I've got it on the kitchen floor and NOTHING soaks in, and I'm not very nice to it. His advertising is beyond cheesy, and he's cagey about what's in it while dissing the competition, which imho is unprofessional, but there you go. It's good stuff! We also got a Waterstone faucet from Rachiele, and it's perfect - I don't know how they do it, but it doesn't splash. It's worth putting together what you fancy using the Rachiele website, and then phoning Dino, as he's extremely knowledgeable (was previously a Certified Kitchen Designer) and very helpful, lots of good ideas to get you the best bang for your buck! My sink is on his website, actually - it's the overhead shot with lots going on - dishes drying, flowers, big pile of onions to make soup, and a bottle of wine ;). I'll try sending you a pm about the fb Aga group. :)
    ...See More

kitchen sink - SS drop in, SS apron front, or white farmhouse sink?

Q

Comments (5)
    Do you have to do a drop in? I would do an undermount, much nicer look. I use Le Creuset and other cast iron all the time, my SS sink came with a grid at the bottom, it's the best!! It really protects the sink from dishes and cookware. I had a farm sink previously and liked that one also, this time I wanted a more contemporary look and opted for a large SS undermount.
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    2 years ago

I have a single, stainless, undermount sink with a removable grid at the bottom. After a slight adjustment period I fell in love with it. I can't imagine wanting a divided sink again. You can always use a bowl or pot or colander to separate things. The angles in mine aren't square so I don't get crud in the corners. Because of the grid I'm always turning on the spray to chase little bits. It's not a huge deal.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

If anyone is intending on staying in their house I would suggest that you avoid the integrated Corian. While it has probably improved since the sink was placed in the bathroom, special order by previous owner, the surface does wear with use. You can polish it with car wax but that is not something I would like to do. The sink was put in in 1992 to give you an idea of the age.

I lived in a house that had a three sink variation and loved it. Two sized large sinks and a smaller sink at the back at one side. It did not have a stopper only a pierced area but it was handy to toss small fruit and veggies into to wash although I mainly used it to hold used silverware.

• chisue
    2 years ago

I loved the smooth, integrated Corian countertop and double sinks at our Maui condo. Easy to clean with Bon Ami, and warm to the touch -- unlike the *cold* granite countertops I have at home. The only problem I had with Corian was that guests would refuse to use the cutting boards and cut right on the countertop. Corian is anti-microbal; it's used in hospitals.

The kitchen in our first house was metal to the max. It was a quite expensive St. Charles kitchen, with metal cabinets and a stainless steel counter top and sink that was 12 feet long. I hated it -- grey, spotty, ugly. It was my *home*, not a restaurant kitchen! The origial owner (1950's) had evidently loved all that stuff. (It did have a wonderful Thermodore broiler/oven that vented to the outdoors. I could broil anything without any residual odor.)

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have a very small galley kitchen. Literally 2ft of counterspace on each side of the sink and same on the opposite side with the range. My current countertops are those laminate pieces you buy at Lowes that are supposed look like stone/granite etc. It's a drop in, mounted above so you get the yuck on the edge. Keep in mind, all this is coming up on 19 years old. I believe the plumbing is centered to the open so I think that will be an issue. I should probably take a look.

• wcjo
    2 years ago

While waiting to replace granite counters, we bought a Kraus Standart Pro drop in stainless single bowl sink. I was amazed that I could sweep stuff off the counter into the sink and never had crud left around the lip of sink. It was heavy duty with square shape, with a grid and nice drain included. I was sad to see it go with the new counters. I think Kraus makes a nice product drop in or undermounted. With a single bowl, I chase stuff with the sprayer every time I rinse the sink but I love the versatility with a large bowl.

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Kohler whitehaven comes in a short apron front sink you wont have to cut your cabinets. if you really wanted the farmhouse look.

always1stepbehind thanked Becky H
  • julieste
    2 years ago

We're staying at a resort right now, and our suite has a full kitchen. From the looks of the decorating style, I am guessing the place has to have been built about 20 years ago. There is an Elkay Celebrity drop-in sink I am impressed with because it looks so shiny and clean. Yes, it's scratched, but it still looks nice after I assume at least 20 years of heavy duty use from guests. It has nice rounded corners, but I wouldn't ever get a single sink this size--21" x 16" x 7". Would be a fine size if there were another bowl but way too small if this is the only sink you have.

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have Corian countertop and sinks in my bathroom in Cathedral City, and I left them in place when I renovated my bathroom. Of course this is not a kitchen, but I do like molded sinks in bathrooms

Bathtub to walk-in shower conversion · More Info

In my kitchen in Los Angeles, I have a white porcelain undermount sink that has a half-high divider, and so it is almost like having a single sink. I think that this is the best compromise between single and divided sinks. I particularly dislike the looks of farmhouse or Belfast sinks, as I do not like the way they break up the cabinets and countertop. I also ruled out stainless steel when I was selecting a kitchen sink, partly because they are harder to keep clean, from my experience, and partly because I prefer the look of white porcelain for kitchen sinks.

If I were getting a stainless steel kitchen sink, I would get one like this.

I think this one would be easier to clean, and I actually do like it.

• julieste
    2 years ago

vgkg Z-7 VA

Love the sink!

I am debating whether to use an Elkay I found on Craigslist. It's perfect for what I want for size and style (two large uneven, sized double bowls with a drainboard on one side. I cleaned it up, and it's in great shape. But, I am going for a modern look in my new kitchen and I am afraid that a drop-in will look out of place. It's the dilemma of finding exactly the sink functions I want but it's not current or stylish.

to the OP, I'd think long and hard about replacing a double bowl with a single. I think so many of the people who complain about their old double bowls are those who had a typical builder sink with two small, equally sized bowls.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

A1SB, my installers didn't seem to think it was a problem to go from centered drain to the rear placement. It just involved a few new pieces of drainpipe & trap to attach the new drain to the down pipe in the wall. PS my sink is a 28" Blanco, it fits nicely into a 30" cabinet - there are lots of nice sinks out there.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I have a large soapstone sink over 2 feet by 20 inches. I know you won't get soapstone but I just love a large sink compared to two smaller ones which I have had in all previous homes. Large one bowl sinks are so versatile but then everyone has their own preference.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Actually, we should not want our food scraps to go down the drain (this includes using the disposal). Better to compost or toss them since all that food is what leads to added nutrients and thence to all the alga bloom in our waterways after going through the waste treatment plant.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I see no need for a double sink if you have a dishwasher. I don't even own a traditional dish rack that would have sat inside half of a double bowl sink. A larger single bowl is easier for washing the occasional big pot or griddle pan. It gives you a few more inches of counter space.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I have two large porcelain single bowl sinks. I have had zero problems with them. I do wash my sinks every time I use them. I despise double sinks. Any hand washing is done under running water- conversely, very little gets hand washed, knives and delicate glass, otherwise silver, porcelain, stainless, it all goes into the dishwasher.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I agree, Zalco. I hand wash very few items and immediately dry them and put them away .

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Personal preference but I like having two sinks. I can wash the things that need hand washing in one and rinse in the other one without diluting the wash water.

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

Good questions always1stepbehind and will only comment on them. Food gets stuck because of the brushed finish the sinks have. The brushing are small scratches but don't hold the food, water surface tension holds the food. The water underneath the food is trapped behind each little scratch and water surface tension is the effective cause why it sticks. Think of a glass of liquid with something floating on top and you want to pour out the floater. It gets stuck at the rim but doesn't dump until you pour faster. At that point the floater broke the water tension and flows out, and each little scratch in the sink is the rim of a glass with dozens under the floater.

So what to look for in a stainless sink? from the example above a finer brushed finish is one if you want to reduce stuck floaters. but a trade off is any future scratches will be more visible and annoying. Even worse would be a polished finish and look horrible in a few days from scratches.

Thickness of the sink. I will only buy a sink 18 ga. (1.024 mm) or thicker. The cheap sinks in the box stores can be 22 ga (0.64 mm) thick and easily flexed with problems sealing the strainer and around the faucets causing leaks. The thin sinks will also sound very tinny and noisy even from a dripping faucet.

The noise, a good sink will have sound proofing on the outside of the sink.

Finally the quality of the stainless steal. The best is 316 but expensive and uncommon. 304 grade is the most common and slightly less resistant to discoloring and corrosion but cheaper and adequate. the cheaper sinks are made from lower grade stainless and are most likely to discolor and even rust, and a magnet will stick to them, but won't stick to 300 series stainless.

always1stepbehind thanked kevin9408
  • lisa_fla
    2 years ago

I tecently went from a white doublesink to a stainless steel big sink when we replaced our countertops i live my new sink! i hated rubbing out smudges on the old sinks i use the dushwasher for kist dishes but always handwash knives, pots and pans , tupperware Tupperware, any vintage kitchen items Its much more roomy for big pots veryveasy to keep clean so e bits of food dont go down the drain ill help them along its still better than picking it out of the grated drain ! now i have just a center garbage dispisal drain

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I have a double basin stainless sink. I do not pay enough attention to it to list pros and cons. Dishes do not pile up in my sink, I tend to put them in the dishwasher as I use them.

If I ever get round to remodeling the kitchen,I have my eye on a single basin, beautifully pink sink. It. Is. GORGEOUS. It will be mine one day..........

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"I'd like a white farm house style but with trying to keep things simple, not having to cut out the front of the cabinets etc.."

Elkay Quartz Luxe Ferguson model in Ricotta.

Elkay Quartz Luxe in Ricotta.

Each of these has a short apron so the doors remain unaffected; the top cabinet rail is easily removed. They are some of the finest sinks on the market and dominate my sales.

always1stepbehind thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

We have an excellent dishwasher and we definitely also need a double sink. We hand wash delicate glassware and have to scour pans occasionally. We also have a canteen of silver cutlery and an entire dinner service for high days and holidays with gold bands which must not be washed in the machine. And apart from washing up, a dishwasher is no help at all when one if us is cleaning lettuce and the other is scrubbing potatoes. Or when you need to drain pasta at the same time as rinsing greens.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I also LOVE apron sinks. This one I modified, by cutting 2" off the cabinet, then reassembling and gluing back together...a real hassle. It's a Kraus sink.

• Debby
    2 years ago

I could never have a single sink. I watch Property Brothers almost every morning with my coffee and pretty much all the make over kitchens have a single sink. I could not do that.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

A Kohler Whitehaven farm house sink has a short apron that would work for you.

• chisue
    2 years ago

The apron sink would be a boon to your back if you use the sink a lot -- puts you up close to the chore.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"A Kohler Whitehaven farm house sink has a short apron that would work for you."

• lwfromny
    2 years ago

I am a huge fan of the Kohler Whitehaven short apron front sink. Having purchased two sinks in the past few years, I paid close attention to what I did and didn’t like at my sisters’ and daughters’ kitchen sinks (as well as my own) before deciding what would work for me. Here’s what I figured out. The single bowl sinks that have the food problem tend to have (1) center drains and/or (2) water pressure that is higher or lower than typical. The center drain combines with high pressure makes the food shoot right past the drain when you rinse. High pressure plus side drain is fine. Low pressure is awful no matter where the drain is, but less of an issue with a center drain. So when choosing a sink I would also consider your water pressure.

I selected the Kohler Whitehaven because I wanted to be able to deal with large cookware, the cast iron version is indestructible and easy to keep clean, it has a side drain, and the height is fantastic - my back thanks me every time I use it. I was worried I would mourn my double sink but I have loved the single bowl from the minute I got it - wouldn’t go back for anything. If you consider this sink don’t get the fireclay - you want the cast iron. The fireclay chips and if you have a garbage disposal the sink can craze if the flange is over tightened.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"...the cast iron version is indestructible..."

One chip in cast iron and you're dead. All that bright white with the black peeking through. Then the cast iron starts to rust and the sink self-desructs. The color goes all the way through the Elkays.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE my kitchen sink. DH installed it when we did a refresh on our kitchen. It has three compartments. Two hold a jelly roll pan lying flat and are nice and deep. The third is the perfect size for rinsing dishes and housing the disposal. It's a good thing to think this purchase through if you have the opportunity to swap yours out. It will get a ton of use and you want to it work for you--no matter what the "latest" is.

• julieste
    2 years ago

arcy_gw

I'd love to see a photo of your sink. Do you know what brand it is?

I so agree with you that people should think through what will work for them rather than just following the latest trends.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Imhave a new appreciation for my kitchen sink. its a plain old undermount, single bowl, stainless steel sink. Last night when cleaning up I noticed that all the bits and pieces float down the drain because the bottom of the sink is slightly angled. Ah, its the little things in life!

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    2 years ago

something different.

Reality Sink · More Info

good luck on your project!

always1stepbehind thanked RCKsinks Inc.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Nice sink and a perfect reveal, but the sharp 90* corners in that sink cutout put the estone top out of warranty.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Joseph......I appreciate the input. My corners are always round. I did not know THAT! (I work for myself. Only on houses we own.)

• RCKsinks Inc
    2 years ago

I design , manufacture, distribute and give install guidance for them lol.. but installers sometimes do their own thing

The cut out template provided calls for a 5/8 radius on all corners . This was installed in Chapel Hill NC. Not sure who the fabricator was. Shipping all over the country I found there are regional differences in the reveals as well.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    2 years ago

This one shows the 5/8 radius. Dover, Delaware

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Function before style, always! We chose our downstairs bathroom sink based on looks. It doesn't drain well at all, and it shows every speck of dust and watermark. Darn.

• chisue
    2 years ago

I don't want to have to wash an acre of big sink when I've only rinsed a bowl that held tomato soup or a greasy plate. (I rinse in the smaller of my Big/Little sinks.)

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

whoa!! thanks for all the replies. I should have also mentioned my double stainless sink is a deep one, which I really like. We had a single standard depth stainless at our old office which was fine but all we washed was coffee cups etc. I definitely want a a deep sink whether single or double.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Looking at the Costco website, I didn't realize Costco sells quite an assortment of sinks, but this sinks comes with the faucet etc...they have in the store and goes on sale often, which right now it's on sale...but I have a question regarding that faucet handle set up. We have a faucet with this same exact handle in my office and the counter is CONSTANTLY wet under the handle. I even thought maybe it was leaking but I think it's just from turning if off after use and it drives me nuts. At home I currently have a two faucet high arc faucet but it' has the plate on the bottom...maybe I just don't notice the water but the water sitting on the countertop at my work is very obvious. I guess that is going to happen unless you fling the water off your hands in the sink before shutting of faucet right?

I just used the faucet here at work and I'm thinking because we're using the water on hot and the handle is pushed back when we go to turn if off, the handle is pushed back...I think that is why the water is getting all over the countertop. Just my observation. Not sure how to avoid that.

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

Good way to fix that with that type of faucet is to select one that allows for the handle to face forward. There's been a few threads about this over the years and you might find some more discussion about it by searching. We mounted ours facing forward and it's great. Plus, if you have a mixed of left and right handers in your house, there's no conflict, lol.

• PRO
    Altair
    2 years ago

Hello!

Just responding to your comment:

"I'd like a white farm house style but with trying to keep things simple, not having to cut out the front of the cabinets etc.."

We see that you are looking for a farmhouse-style sink.

We understand that you do not want to cut out the front of the cabinets, but if you happen to change your mind, we do offer beautiful kitchen sinks that are perfect for a farmhouse look.

Check out the following sinks!

Product: Trento White Ceramic 33 in. Single Bowl Farmhouse Apron Kitchen Sink

Model #271033-KS

Product: Trieste White Ceramic 32 in. Double Bowl Farmhouse Apron Kitchen Sink

Model #281032-KDS

Product: White Ceramic 24 in. Single Bowl Farmhouse Apron Kitchen Sink

Model #241024-KS

If you want to see more, check out our website Link: https://altairdesignusa.com/collections/farmhouse-sinks

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Altair Team

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

wiscokid: I just checked the one here at work and the handle can be pulled down so it's parallel to the sink and you just push it over to turn the water on, but you'd have to lift it back to get hot water. Is that what you mean by the handle facing forward?

• wiscokid
    2 years ago

no - I mean the lever is actually mounted facing forward - see photos on this thread:

houzz.com/discussions/2442104/positioning-single-handle-kitchen-faucet

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ohhhh....interesting. Who would have thought. Thanks for the link.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

While reading through the posts, I didn’t see anyone mention the sink we have which is Silgranit. Its a double, one sink smaller and the other is larger for pots. Love it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I had my faucet mounted with the handle in front - the installers thought I was nuts, had never heard of doing such a thing, but they did it and it has been great. ETA: I am sure that I got the idea here, maybe from the thread Wiscokid linked!

always1stepbehind thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource