SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
anniedeighnaugh

Frowny face time...

Annie Deighnaugh
14 days ago

I went to get my haircut at one of these walk-in places the other day, and she gave me the senior discount before I asked for it.

Sigh.

Comments (30)

• bpath
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

But, a couple of grocery stores cars me! Has nothing to do with my youthful good looks (cough cough, the grey hairs, the sagging bustline, the widened hips) but ive decided to appreciate it and relive my college years.

btw, recently FB has been showing me ads for plus-size athletic and leisure wear. i don’t THINK ive shared my height, weight, BMI. How do they KNOW?

• Lars
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

You have to ask for the discount before they can offer it to you. I am always happy to receive discounts. I am more upset when I don't get them.

Some places want to give as many discounts as possible, in order to attract new clients/customers, and I think this is what happened in your case.

Hairdressers, of all people, should be able to judge someone's age. It is a different story with grocery clerks.

• Related Discussions

Radio Times and Angel Face

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you, Pauline. I am glad for the history lesson. I knew it was named after a magazine of some sort, but this adds a dimension of romance to the name. I love the color, too, actually. It really glows. It is very bright, though soft, and it really stands out. It will be fun to see it grow up. And, it has a wonderful fragrance. All these roses were just planted in May, so I have enjoyed seeing how they look and smell as they bloom in our climate. You never know until they actually 'bloom where they're planted'! Vancouver Island must be a wonderful place to live for a gardening enthusiast. Thanks for the note! Sandra
    ...See More

Crawl Space Insulation--Faced or UnFaced?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would use unfaced. I would buy as a roll (not precut batts) and cut you own 5 ft pieces.
    ...See More

'The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face'

Q

Comments (12)
    LOL...these are great...got to forward these on to my ole foggy friends...not that I'm old or nutting...just sayin...LOL
    ...See More

FaceTime question- someone keeps calling me- can I block them?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks - that's the first thing that I did but nothing comes up on google. I thought perhaps it was a school because it ends in @voorhees.k12.nj.us. Voorhees is a local town not too far from my home and the k12 might indicate a school K through 12. Well I just threw caution to the wind and called back. A young girl answered and I asked her if she had just called me on her cell phone. She said no - it's her iPad. I kindly asked her if she could remove my number since it's obviously wrong. I did discover that I could block that number in the 'Settings' on my iPhone - so if she calls again I'll block it. Thanks for the help
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    14 days ago

I got ID'd when buying booze well into my 30's. Enjoyed it while it lasted.

There is a grocery store, closet one to my house that vends spirits, and they ID everybody. Now, it just pisses me off. I've been working all day; I'm tired; it is hot outside; I just want some white wine to make a spritzer. My driver's license is never at the top of the stack. Last time it happened, I started to dig for ID. Too much trouble; I don't want a spritzer that badly. So I said, 'To hell with it' and walked out. Same store wants you to show your store card to get the sale price on ad items. So, two forms of ID needed to purchase a cart of groceries. No thanks.

• arkansas girl
    14 days ago

The other day, I was buying Lucas Gas Treatment (requires an ID) so the cashier at Walmart says "are you 18?" My answer was "I am definitely NOT 18". HAHA! We got a good laugh...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Of course, the hair dresser has an incentive to give the sr discount as I pay the same total amount either way...just with the discount, her tip is larger!

• maire_cate
    13 days ago

The only time my age isn't apparent is when I'm on the phone. At least I have a young voice.

• jupidupi
    13 days ago

When I went to get vaxxed, I had to answer a bunch of questions including, "Are you currently pregnant?" I laughed; and the tech said he had to ask everyone. And a couple of years ago, when we adopted a rescue cat, I had to fill out a long questionnaire designed to make sure we were committed to keeping it. One of the questions was, "What will you do if you have a baby?" I answered, "Call the papers. At my age, it would be a miracle."

• Ninapearl
    13 days ago

facebook has started putting ads on my feed for SENIOR DATING. granted, my birthday is on my profile but seriously, i don't need to be reminded!

occasionally my brother-in-law will call and ask if i'm going to town, would i pick up a pack of cigs for him. more often than not, i forget to take my i.d. in with me. the cashiers all know me and when they ask for i.d and i tell them i forgot to bring it in, they'll punch something into the register, and with a wink say "no problem, you're 23 today". ahh yes, life in small down 'merica! LOL

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Of course this year is easy for those who check ID...if your birthday year begins with a "19" you're good to go.

• Jasdip
    13 days ago

A number of years ago, I had a "good news, bad news" experience. Hubby and I had just come out of the drugstore chain where we buy our milk. I looked at the receipt and I had gotten the 20% senior's discount.

Hubby and I had a good laugh. His goatee was pretty much grey even though his hair was salt and pepper. Neither of us were near 65 (both in our 50's). But for 20%, heck ya!

I called the store and asked what the age was for the discount......some stores, and I thought this was one, started at 55. The lady who answered said 65. But I've gotten it ever since, so I think she was wrong.

I get the 10% at the pet store and it's 60 yrs to qualify.

• salonva
    13 days ago

My experience is that no one ( or very few people) like to pass for older ; liquor sales excluded.

I am now definitely a senior (over 65). Once I was in my 50's, I requested senior discounts since some places it's 55, some 60 , and some 65.

• chisue
    13 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

My 'Senior Moment' came when I was about thirty. I got into a taxi in the Loop and the cabbie asked, "Where to, Ma'am?" (Not "MIss" -- and I was never "Miss" again.)

DS was floored when a kid addressed him as "Sir" for the first time. He was still in his twenties.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    13 days ago

I guess that I am looking old enough now, that I am consistently asked if I need help lifting or carrying something out -sometimes even just a couple of bags of groceries. Sometimes though, I think that I am likely stronger than the person offering the help!

• ci_lantro
    13 days ago

The last time I bought dog food (40# bag), the teeny bopper checker asked me to roll the bag over so she could scan the UPC.

Then she remarked, 'Wow, you are strong; I couldn't lift that."

Earned her an eye roll, it did.

• Fun2BHere
    13 days ago

Just a note. It's easier to teach those who sell liquor to check every ID than it is to trust them to make judgements on who should be carded. If it becomes rote for them, then they don't forget and, as the retailer or restaurateur, you don't get hit with huge fines for selling to underage customers.

• maifleur03
    13 days ago

As stated it is easier to ask for ID every time. One store at least the clerk appeared to enter the number and not just the date of birth into the register. Memorial Day weekend I went to Iowa and on the way back stopped for a quick snack break I also purchased lottery tickets. I was asked for my birthday and it was entered into the register.

On my 35th birthday a group of us went out to eat. Because I had the bad habit of paying for things they insisted I leave everything including my purse behind. The restaurant would not serve me my normal wine because I did not have ID with me. They served everyone other than myself and asked none for their ID.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 days ago

At least she didn't give you the senior haircut!

• maifleur03
    13 days ago

Even a senior haircut would be better than my experience the other day. I went to one of those places after not having my hair cut since a year ago February and the person insisted that she had to have a picture of what I wanted my hair to look like. I should have just walked at that point but having talked myself into it I stayed. I was able to find one picture of myself on my phone which showed longer than normal hair but that was enough for her to start cutting my hair. I had to tell her shorter each time she stopped. Shape is ok but because her scissors were blunt not only does it look like rats chewed it but it has that blunted end look on each strain of hair. It will grow out but now to find another place because the place I normally use closed at the start of June.

• anneliese32
    13 days ago

The cashiers are supposed to check, no exceptions. They can get into trouble if they don't. You also have the go by the book other customer who calls the manager because she did not ask for my ID because she knows me and I no way could, I with my then 86 years, pass as underage. Cashier got reprimanded. I automatically reach for my ID when I get to the check-out if I think I need to prove that I am old enough to cross the street by myself.

• SEA SEA
    13 days ago

It's the law now to ask each person for their ID when buying alcohol; at least in our state. My kid used to work for the gov't doing undercover ID work. They would send her in to be a customer who didn't bring her ID with her and those who let it slide were cited, posted in local news paper and the employee who let is slide is 'suppose' to lose their job.

I remember the day I became a ma'am. It was someone in a grocery store asking me (ma'am) if I knew where they kept the canned goods. I looked around to see who he was talking to. It was me! haha I've been ma'am ever since, also haha, on me.

• patriceny
    13 days ago

I posted this as a Facebook update a few years ago, when it happened to me..

Something happened to me for the first time ever this morning. I didn't like it......

I stopped in Dunkin Donuts for my morning cup of happiness. I know exactly how much it usually costs. I handed the cashier the money, and she gave me back more change than usual.

It turns out the cashier - who appeared to be about 12, mind you - gave me the SENIOR CITIZEN discount!

So, to recap my morning - I look old, and it saved me 13 cents.

• marilyn_c
    13 days ago

When buying alcohol here, if you look old, they just ask your birth date. You don't have to show an id. Maybe younger people do....old folks, no.

• Elizabeth
    13 days ago

I recall shopping with my sister ( who is rather vain ) and the cashier asked her if she was eligible for the senior discount. She was in her later 40's. She was SO offended! I still giggle over that one.

• dedtired
    13 days ago

Remember the first time someone called you ma’am? That almost bowled me over. Long time ago.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 days ago

Remember the first time someone called you ma’am? That almost bowled me over. Long time ago.

Yes, I was in my 20s working as a waitress. I responded that it was Miss, thank you very much. Probably rude of me, but I was so shocked. The poor customer was probably from the South and doing as he was taught.

I noticed (back when I used to go out and do things) that in my area all women are being referred to as miss in restaurants, wineries, etc.

I'm fine with miss or ma'am so long as it is consistent amongst all ages, the same as sir is with men of all ages. And please, don't get me started with younger people calling older women "young lady." No, it's not flattering, it's patronizing.

• amylou321
    13 days ago

I've been called a lot worse than ma'am.....

But none of them bothered me.

Things like that do not matter. Not to me. Call me whatever just don't touch me and get out of my way.

As for a senior discount, well I will not qualify for a while. BUT. I remind myself often that aging is a privilege that everyone doesn't get. That fighting it is useless,and those that do look silly,with their frozen botox faces and such. My mom celebrated when she got her first senior discount. She said, I am old, and I get a discount for it,yay! Oh, and she loves to ask "are you working tonight? You are? Good! Keep my social security checks rolling in! Ha HAAAAAA!" 😏

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    13 days ago

When my husband was legal drinking age and I was not, he would be carded in a restaurant and then I was also asked if I wanted wine -- without ever having to produce an ID. (He was two years older than I.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I still remember the time my Mom came home from shopping...she was crossing from the store to the parking lot and apparently being slower about it than some driver like, who hollered out the window at her, "Get out of the way you old biddy!" She was so upset! How dare someone call her an old biddy!!

• ci_lantro
    12 days ago

Yes, I know it is that grocery store's policy to ID everyone who attempts to buy booze. It's in the policy handbook under the heading: How to Annoy Senior Citizen Shoppers. In the case of this particular store, in the last dozen or so years, it has changed ownership more times than I can remember. So, I had the faint hope that new management had adopted a more common sense policy regarding obviously senior customers.

Anyway, only due to the circumstances did I stop there that day--being across the street from Menard's where I had to go for more project supplies.

I don't get carded at the Mexican restaurant when I order a margarita nor at the liquor store that is just a bit out of my normal path.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I was at Goodwill and found a hardback book on gardening I liked. It was marked 49 cents. At checkout, the young fella said, “That’s not the real price. Our price on hardback books is $3.49.” Noting my look of surprise, he continued, ”But it’s your lucky day! Today is Senior Discount Day!” I walked out, sans book. Didn’t want it that bad anyway.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler