SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaceymae

Dichondra argentea Silverfalls ponyfoot question

jaceymae
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Are there more than one variety of Silverfalls ponyfoot out there? I just bought several flats and the leaves were twice the size and much more green than others I've found. Not GREEEN green, but grey green. The Silverfalls I see online in drifts and in beds are much smaller leaved and much more silver. Is this a result maybe of growing conditions in the greenhouses, or are there variations between different varieties of Silverfalls? I couldn't find any others online so baffled by this. Any growers of this out there that might have me an answer? Big thanx!!

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I don't believe that is 'Sliver Falls' at all! As the name indicates, Silver Falls is silver - an icy gray color that is very distinctive. Yours is far too green and I would suspect that is just Dichondra repens and possibly the cultivar 'Emerald Falls'.

• jaceymae
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Oh NO......I was afraid of that! Emerald falls huh....well I just bought 10 flats of this I wanted for a groundcover. I ordered it without seeing it. It was marked Silverfalls. Guess I better investigate that some. I bought from a wholesale nursery one of the best. And they said they weren't sue why there would be a difference unless it was growing conditions.......:(

I think the repens is the deep true green flat growing dichondra....but I'm really confused now.

• jaceymae
    Original Author
    2 years ago

UPDATE...yes, it totally looks like Emerald Falls, exactly from the pictures. I went to check on an installation I did a couple weeks ago where the color didn't matter...and what do you know?? The new growth is silver, with smaller leaves. I guess cultivation DOES play a part. Hopefully the grower will let me come back after doubting them so vigorously. But they actually wouldn't even admit that there was a difference in appearance...sigh. Oh well..much too much stress to go around I guess. Alls well that ends well too!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!