SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenchick2010

Is this Holy Mouse Ears?

gardenchick2010
2 years ago

Back in 2012 or 2014, when I was new to Hostas, someone gave me a mini with the tag included for "Holy Mouse Ears". I didn't think too much about it, just planted it, and let it be.

Eventually, as I learned more about named Hostas, I realized it didn't look right, with most of the leaves solid green. Over time the green leafed part grew and I divided it, but I left the coloured part with mama.

Here's a pic from 2018:

Today I finally dug it up and easily separated the green from the 3 teeny tiny coloured parts, which are now in a pot.

Three questions:

1) Does the potted part look like "Holy Mouse Ears?

2) Would the green leaves have a name?

3) How long should I leave the baby in the pot? Or should I put it in the ground now?

Thanks.

Comments (34)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Yes, it does look like HME. They often revert especially if stressed. I was looking at my HME today and it has some reversion after a terribly hot dry year last year.

HME is a sport of Royal Mouse Ears which is a sport of Blue Mouse Ears.

If you were going to leave it in a pot I would put it in proper media as opposed to garden soil.

It is adorable!

gardenchick2010 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your reply, peren.all.

I haven't decided whether to leave it in the pot for a while, or just put it back in the ground. It just looked so small and vulnerable there in the ground surrounded by all the big hostas. LOL.

If I leave it in the pot, I will get some proper soil. Right now, I don't have any at all, and that's on my next shopping list.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Have Holy Mouse Ears

Q

Comments (0)
    I'd like a named streaked hosta in return Pam
    ...See More

Hosta supplier that will ship internationally?

Q

Comments (3)
    are any of these actually available on any market???? or have you been making dream list at the hosta library???? just because you see a picture.. and note a name ... doesnt mean its in more than one garden ... but i could be wrong.. i am not what i would call current.. on all the new introductions... ken
    ...See More

Holy Mouse Ears, Batman

Q

Comments (9)
    Both are available and I've ordered 3 of each :-). If you want larger plants then hurry and order a few from Natures Reign "Emile and Jane". What most of the other nurseries will receive it small liners like Josh mentioned. Rumor is Natures Reign has a few older plants to offer until sold out then they'll offer the newer tc's like all other nurseries will. Home Of The Original Mouses
    ...See More

Pure Heart and Holy Mouse Ears still hanging in there, too

Q

Comments (4)
    Tonight is going to be the closest to freezing. Sposed to get down to 34 degrees. I hope it doesn't drop lower. The rest of the week, sposed to be in the 50s/40s. My geraniums are still blooming a lot. I am loathe to put them in paper sacks until I get a real freeze warning for overnight. And you may have seen the pic I took Friday of a lone last Easy Does It rose. What a gift from that faithful rosebush under the "Miscellaneous" post. Amazingly, the mini snapdragons and petunias are still in full bloom, even the alyssum has teeny purple flowers. I will HATE to see this go for the 3 months or so of winter!
    ...See More
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Ken, for your reply, especially the explanation on the difference between media and soil. Since I'm not sure when I'll be out to get media, I'll put the baby HME back in the ground today.

I know it's a mini, but how much do you think she'll grow this year? Should I give her some Miracle Grow?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Here’s mine second year. The rocks around it started out as squirrel rocks to keep them from digging.

I think I left them as it keeps me from stepping on it. I steppedon Mighty Mouse last year and he’s still in intensive care. I find it’s best to plant them along edges of beds or near a marker like a stone.

debra

gardenchick2010 thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very pretty, debra. Good idea marking it with the rocks. I should probably do the same thing, to protect it all summer, and also so I'll know where to watch for it next spring.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Btw, I think it is HME. The green part perhaps is Blue Mouse Ears. Holy Mouse Ears is a sport of Royal ME and RME is a sport of Blue Mouse Ears. BME can look green in spring. Just a thought.

debra

• Babka NorCal 9b
    2 years ago

Agree that it is HME. Slow to grow, and often gets a green shoot, that I pull off.

-Babka

gardenchick2010 thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Went out to check on HME yesterday morning, and was met with a tragic sight. Three leaves were lying on the ground !!!

So I dug the poor baby out of the garden and put her back in a pot. (this time with bagged organic gardening soil)

Then later in the day, I found another leaf had fallen off. No more damage this morning, thankfully.

Below is a current pic of my baby HME. Any chance she can survive the trauma? Anything I can do to help save her?

(the leaf on the bottom right was the last to fall off)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Looks like some thing nibbled on it……… slugs????? Make sure none are getting into the pot. Just give it time and make sure it’s not planted too deep. So hard to judge with the little ones. :-(

debra

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Just planted a bunch of new minis and small hostas in pots and containers. We've got a new type of aggressive squirrel that has taken over our area. They are smaller, with gray chests but they drive off the other larger squirrels. They have taken to digging in pots, ripping off leaves, etc. I have a new hosta on life support thanks to their recent vandalism. My local nursery said that deer spray doesn't deter them at all. They had a spray which I bought and they also told me to try using some blood meal. Anyone tried blood meal to deter small critters? I also saw online that squirrels hate bone meal. Anyone use bone meal?

• frankielynnsie
    2 years ago

We also have had 3 very bad years with an overabundance of destructive squirrels. This year I just have had it so I have been trapping them (37 as of last month) and taking them 10 miles away to the other side of a lake in hopes they will not come back. I hate to kill anything and I know others will move into the areas vacated but not as many I hope. We are taking a break because I don't want to take a mother away from her babies. 37 squirrels in 1 huge oak and 2 pecans, they were totally unafraid and challenging us when we would go out to work in the yard. They wouldn't even run away, this was their yard. I am now seeing 3 every day--that is a manageable number.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    2 years ago

Frankie, the Simple Answer… Squirrels typically do travel about 2 miles but squirrels can travel up to 10 miles. You can trap and release squirrel 10 miles away from the habitat, but it would be better to release far than 10 miles in which case, it would be impossible for them to return.

I'm have a suburban lot but we're quite close to green spaces with trees and we get squirrels but have been 'relocating' them for the past 4 years or so. I have a Have-A-Heart trap on the cap of one of my fences that's used as an access path by them and they're so smart to go in by themselves I don't even have to bait the trap any more. They come into the raised door and step on the trigger when going to the other end. If memory serves we're up to 57 but it's been getting slimmer the last couple of months...May be it's time to bait again...

Pieter

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Debra. I wondered about slugs. Poor hosta. I feel I should have just left the HME with the bigger blue one. Hopefully she'll survive the summer, and then I'll try putting her back in the ground before winter.

Good luck with your hosta on life support Miles. So sad when they are attacked by "vandals". 😒

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

I put bone meal in the bottom of my first Hosta planting hole and it was promptly dug up by the squirrels. I stopped using it and only had one or two other issues with squirrels until recently. Now they like to bury their nuts in my pots. (Take it easy Ken). It hasn't gotten too bad yet, but I have used the rock technique twice now.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Steve, I've had the squirrels in the past dig nuts into some pots but that happened in the fall. Now with the newer type of squirrels in my area, they dig every day. This morning I saw that they had been there already ripping out soil and exposing the roots of the minis that I just planted. They seem to have favorite pots, so far they haven't gone into the pots with the larger hostas, just the minis and the small hostas. I can't be out there before work and in the evenings every day replacing soil. One lady at the local nursery told me she plants in her pots and then puts chicken wire around the plants. I don't have the time or the energy for that.

• frankielynnsie
    2 years ago

Can you get a picture of the new squirrels? I would like to see if they are like the ones we have. Ours are the Eastern Gray Squirrel. They are just too in your face. No one in the neighborhood feeds them that I know of. I think there just aren't enough predictors and there has been a population explosion.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Sure I will get a picture and post it. Shouldn't be hard, since there are always 5 or 6 in the yard.

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Look who's recovering from her trauma. 🙂

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Surprise, surprise surprise! She’s recovering already.

debra

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm so proud of her. 🙂

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

So glad it is rebounding for you!

gardenchick2010 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HME is continuing to recover from the "attack of the slugs" or whatever ate her leaves. Just over a month has passed and looking so much better.

Still looks like tiny leaves are appearing. How long will that keep up?

Also wondering when to put her back in the ground. How long will she need to settle in, before the ground freezes? And will slugs, or other leaf eaters, still be around late summer?

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

Next time, mebbe an overhead projector for a size comparison? lol

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Slugs are always around if you don’t treat for them. At least in my garden they are. I treat spring and fall with 10% or more vinegar or ammonia to water. I literally drench the plants in fall after they are cut back, that will kill eggs laid. Then when the pips come up in spring, I do the same drench to kill any eggs left or hatched. Makes a huge difference!!

debra

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Debra for the slug repellant tip. Might try that in the fall. So 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water?

• gardenchick2010 thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another question about the vinegar/water slug repellant, do you spray it on the ground around the plant? Or is it safe to spray on the leaves?

I'm having a major slug problem this summer, so I may need to do something sooner than later.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

lots of good threads on the subject. Since I don't do it myself try this one:

slug killing recipe

You need to contact the slugs/eggs with the spray. My understanding is vinegar can damage the leaves but ammonia is safer. Also be sure you're using the right concentration and avoid spraying in the heat/sun of the day.

gardenchick2010 thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Steve, for the reply, and the link.

My little Holy Mouse Ears is still doing well, and getting new leaves, in her pot. But eventually she needs to go back in the ground and get ready for winter. So I need all the slug repellant tips I can get.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Yes, to confirm steves answer…….he’s lucky he doesn’t have to do this like I do……2x a year!! But yes, 10 parts water to 1 part ammonia or vinegar. Or 20 to 1 if you like, just to be mean……..hahaha! 🐌

debra

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just thought I'd post an update on my Holy Mouse Ears. She recovered beautifully from the slug attack, and now it is probably time to put her back in the ground for winter.

Hopefully no slugs or other leaf eaters finds her. Still nervous about the vinegar/water slug repellant. Do I spray it on the actual plant leaves? Or the ground around it?

Here's a before and after.

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My little Holy Mouse Ears is back in the garden, after her traumatic early summer incident, which was followed by a long, happy summer, sunning herself, and recovering beautifully, on my deck. Hope she survives winter, and then is happy being a garden hosta, not a deck hosta. LOL. Here's a current pic.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

Great comeback on the mini!

Regarding the ammonia/water slug spray, it will only work on the slugs that it comes in contact with. So no need to spray the leaves if you don't see any slugs on them. The spray is used to drench the petioles at ground level. This would kill the slugs resting there and their eggs.

Yesterday we had rain in the afternoon. I went out when it was dark to check on an area I was finding a lot of leaf holes in. There they were: the slugs! So I sprayed the hosta leaves where I could see them. I drenched some of the hosta crowns and plan to check again after a rain.

I generally don't spray the leaves because sometimes it leaves marks on them. But since we are nearing the end of the season, I figured it wouldn't matter anyways.

gardenchick2010 thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada