SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sljnilsson

Penny tile shower floor installation -

Sheri Nilsson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Opinions, please. Our bathroom remodel is almost complete, but I am struggling with how the penny tile was laid. There are areas that have more space between them than others. Also where the penny tile meets the subway tile along the back wall - that looks wonky to me. On the left end tiles are under the subway. At the other end, they are out. In addition, the tiles themselves have grout around the edges. The contractor said that the penny tiles were just glued to the mesh crooked. The subway is also not flush. He blames the tile again. It was bowed. He doesn't sound like he is willing to fix it. I would have happily bought new tiles that were not crooked or bowed so that they could be installed properly. What are your expert opinions? Oh yeah - I have already paid him 85% of the job. He asked for that before the tile was completed.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

If the tiles were glued wrong on the mesh he should have realized that and removed and repositioned the tile as he went . As for therest the subway tile should not have been done in a 50% off set but a 1/3 offset since they are longer than a regular subway tile .What you got was an inexperienced tile setter who now does not want to own his work. BTW you never pay more than 50% depeostit on any work ever . Now you have no leverage That grouting is just all wrong. Is this a tiler wo is working under your GC or just a guy you hired yourself?

Sheri Nilsson thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sheri Nilsson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The tile guy is the GC's son. The GC said he would not tear it all out and redo it.

• Related Discussions

Bill? Penny round tile installation

Q

Comments (1)
    It's not that tough with the pennyrounds. I've only done one, but it wasn't bad.
    ...See More

Installing Penny Round Tiles

Q

Comments (1)
    I am not sure about keeping thinset from squishing through, but the sheets are "keyed" so they fit together as you lay them. The trick there is to keep the same space between the two sheets as is between the tiles within the sheet. Good luck.
    ...See More

are penny tiles to slippery on the shower floor?

Q

Comments (11)
    Some sanded grout is rough, and some not so much . We use Laticrete Permacolor or Laticrete Select as it is much stronger and a very smooth grout joint. All grout is not created equal. As for penny tiles for shower floor, most mosaics, like penny tiles, do create the friction that you need for a non-slip surface. Very acceptable selection for a shower floor in that regard. Please do be sure that the installer knows how to install these sheets of tiles without an obvious grid line as they generally come on sheets and you do not want to see the separation between the sheets. Here's a couple penny round floors we have installed. The "blue guest bath" used the penny rounds on the ceiling and niche as well, although we used white on floor but pulled a few of the blue penny tiles from the ceiling blend to break it up and add interest.
    ...See More

Installing penny-hex marble tiles

Q

Comments (4)
    What are your sub-floor materials now? Also I am concerned with your basic level of knowledge and the complexities of building a proper tile base in the shower and waterproofing under the tiles. I hate to sound discouraging, but tiling a bathroom so the installation doesn't leak and fail subsequently is one of the most complex projects you can take on. The forums here are full of horror stories concerning people who were supposedly professional tilers who screwed up, and it's a project you will come to regret as a DIY-er if you don't have much experience with this (as I suspect is the case from your questions). I'm not trying to insult you, but I am trying to save you from having a mess on your hands. Tiling a bathroom is much more complex than tiling elsewhere in your home.
    ...See More
  • tlynn1960
    2 years ago

Not a pro, but it's obvious that the tile setter didn't stagger the sheets of penny tile which is a must to avoid seeing the lines between sheets. As Debbi mentioned, the dark contrasting grout makes imperfections that more apparent. If they were that careless with the tile, then it raises questions about their other work like pan slope and waterproofing. Perhaps post in process photos to show the layers/products used in the shower so that pros can weigh in if the waterproofing materials and appropriate processes were used from the start.

Sheri Nilsson thanked tlynn1960
  • kculbers
    2 years ago

I don’t think that tile tile installation is acceptable. Any experienced tile setter would not lay down faulty tile like he did. When he saw the tiles were not correctly set in the mesh, he should not have used them. I am not a pro, but the tiles installed in both my bathrooms and hallway look flawless. It’s too bad some GC’s allow subpar work.

Sheri Nilsson thanked kculbers
  • lwfromny
    2 years ago

Wow. I would definitely be unhappy with that.

Sheri Nilsson thanked lwfromny
  • User
    2 years ago

don't pay him the rest of what you owe until they fix it.

Sheri Nilsson thanked User
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

few things.

Grout should not be applied between the shower floor and the bottom row of tile, or the vertical corners. That should have silicone caulk in the same color as the grout.

Did he use grout or the silicone? (grout is not waterproof and can crack, which is why the silicone is used between any change of planes)

He blames the tile that it was bowed but went ahead and installed it anyway w/o informing you??? BS. Sounds like a cop out for his poor technique.

Normally tiles longer than 12" should be laid on a 1/3 offset, especially if they are bowed. What does the manufacturer recommend?? look on the specs of the tile. It will tell you.

He asked for 85% before tiling was completed? red flag. What did the contract say?

10-20% require up front, and another 25% or so, not exceding 50% (unless he has to buy materials) as he works. I'd never pay 85% before tiling was done. Don't give him another dime.

Does he plan on cleaning up the crappy grout residue that was left?

while the tile job isn't the worst I've seen, it's not the best either.

See the grid marks? If this was done w/dark grout it would have looked worse.

This one is just about perfect. you can't see any variation in the pennies. Look at the side cuts. beautiful job. On the left all of the cut pennies are almost identical and perfectly placed. The black grout was cleaned up properly w/no residue.

The clean portion on the grouting is horrible. anytime very dark grout is used against a white tile, the tile layout should be pristine or else every mistake is going to show

This one is beautiful.

Look at the layout on the floor and how perfect the tiles are.

Also notice his tile cuts in the corner. You never want sliver cuts of tiles in the corners

you see your 1/2" tile cuts on the left side? and how they don't match the right corner? (they're too small.

This has to do w/proper layout prior to tiling. you do a dry layout so you can make sure you won't get these sliver cuts in the corner.

you see how they did this corner? shouldn't be too much smaller than this

another example of a good penny tile layout.

similar to yours. horrible grouting job. horrible penny layout too. Yours is only slightly better.

Sheri Nilsson thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago

LOOKING FOR A QUALIFIED TILE INSTALLER?

14 QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK TO FIND A GOOD MATCH FOR YOUR PROJECT.

1. Do they have liability insurance and if they have employees, are they covered with Worker’s Compensation Insurance?

· Make sure you can verify appropriate insurance coverage.

2. Are they licensed (if required in your area)?

· Verify. Some states do not require tile contractor’s to be licensed.

3. How many years have they been working exclusively as tile installers?

· It takes many years to become proficient as a dedicated, qualified tile professional. Five years or more would be an expected minimum.

4. How was the installer trained? Do they participate in on-going professional industry training from organizations and or manufactures, and specifically what?

· Installers who have completed an apprenticeship under a Qualified Tile Installer and participate in industry training are generally more likely to follow standards and recommendations and stay current with products, materials, and industry updates.

5. Are they familiar with the TCNA Handbook and ANSI Standards and do they follow these industry recommendations?

· The TCNA Handbook coupled with ANSI Standards are the industry recognized guidelines for the installation of tile for a wide range of applications. A qualified tile professional will be familiar with and know how to specify and use these reference tools.

6. If wet areas (showers/baths) are to be included in the work performed, what approved system/methods will they use to assure a long-lasting installation?

· Tile installations in wet areas require some very important preparation to avoid leaks and unwanted moisture problems. Hybrid or unapproved methods, and the use of materials inappropriate for this application can contribute to a very costly and unwanted result that too often requires complete removal and replacement by a qualified professional. A quality installation should last decades or longer.

7. What manufacturer’s products do they use and do they comply with manufacturer’s instructions?

· There are many manufacturers of quality tile setting materials. Most perform well with use of approved methods and adherence to manufacturer specifications. Qualified tile installers will be well-versed on the materials and systems they prefer and should be able to answer your questions about the process and materials and their associated warranties.

8. Do they have a company website or social media page with photos of their work?

· Professionals will have a public presence that is available to consumers so you can review their work and customer reviews. Lack of a traceable, legitimate, and committed business should be a deterrent to hiring.

9. Can you speak with recent customers and see photos of those projects?

· Qualified, experienced tile contractors will have a loyal client base that is happy to recommend them and share their experience.

10. Do they have experience working with the type of tile you plan to use?

· There are different methods, materials and considerations when installing various tile products… ceramic, porcelain, large format tile, handmade tile, natural stone, glass. Verify their experience and training with the tile product you have chosen.

11. Talk to them about positives and challenges of past projects

· Get to know the tile professional as part of your project team. Do they take pride in their work? If your General Contractor is hiring the tile installer, it may make sense to request meeting with the GC and tile installer in advance of the installation.

12. What has been their greatest challenge as a tile installer?

· Listen carefully to understand the installer’s limitations and ability to meet your expectations.

13. Do they or their team belong to a professional organization like NTCA (National Tile Contractor’s Association)?

· Industry involvement is one indication of a tile installation company’s commitment to their craft. It gives them access to education, technical information, and other resources to assist them in professionally serving you.

14. Are they, or do they have Certified Tile Installer’s (Certified Tile Education Foundation, CTI) on their team?

· The certification of tile installers is an important step forward for the consumer. The industry has established a process to certify tile installers. Certification identifies an installer as being a dedicated and knowledgeable professional whose competence in installing tile has been verified to meet specific tile industry standards.

Sheri Nilsson thanked Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • chiflipper
    2 years ago

Unfortunately, poor workmanship such as you have is common. Why? Because the so-called Governmental Agencies that claim to "license and regulate" the Trades allow it to continue. Joe Hack pays a few bucks for a business license, does x number of poor jobs, gets sued, declares bankruptcy, changes the name of the business, gets a new license, and proceeds to screw people again...and again...and again. That is why the consumer has to become self-educated about any project before choosing a supplier for the labor. So sorry this has happened to you.

Sheri Nilsson thanked chiflipper
  • Sheri Nilsson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all so much for your expert opinions. It sounds like the only way to repair is to tear out the floor and start over. What does that entail? Is this a big undertaking? And for the bowed subway tiles, can just some of the tiles be easily replaced without tearing out the entire wall? Could it ever be flush? I wonder how much it would cost to have a tile expert tear out and redo all. I am heartbroken and feeling ignorant.

• lwfromny
    2 years ago

Sheri, I don’t know the answer to your questions, but you are certainly not ignorant. I find it super frustrating that with tile in particular there are so many hacks out there, and to make sure things go well the homeowner has to do a ton of research to be able to qualify a tile installer and then spot if the person hired is not doing a good job. I certainly never realized that before becoming a Houzz user and seeing a ton of posts like yours.

Is there anything in the contract with the GC about the standards they will adhere to? If the contract you signed references anything with regard to standards - even if it’s just local code - find out what the standard is, bc maybe you’ll be able to twist his arm that way. Unfortunately most code isn’t very stringent and doesn’t cover cosmetics, but the one thing in your picture that might not be up to code is the fact that grout was used in all the corners. If you have code violations the town/city should put pressure on him to fix the problem (although he shouldn’t do the fixing - he should refund your money so you can hire someone else).

Sheri Nilsson thanked lwfromny
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

sorry sheri. don't feel ignorant. I don't understand how workers today can do such shoddy work, gouge customers, and be on their way. What has happened to trades-people today?? There are some very good workers who take pride in their work, and then their are workers like the one you hired.

You say you don't think he's willing to fix it? why?

have you brought up any of these errors to him?

for instance, I'm just going off this one pic

as I've said, grout has no business in the joint between floor/wall. what does he say about that?

I'm sure he'll say, "oh it's perfectly fine I do it all the time".

Just because HE says he does it all the time doesn't make it right. I speed on the freeway all the time and it's always been fine. Does it make it right?

The clean up is so poorly done, I'd love to hear his excuse on this one. when you show him all the black grout all over the tile, what does he say?

the portions I've circled, on the wall it's out of line. on the floor you can see a divot. water will collect there after every shower, eventually discoloring that grout.

ditto the far left corner. with all the excess grout.

If you do get this redone, please, no black grout. black grout on a shower floor will always discolor and turn light. it has w/mine and I had an almost perfect install. and I clean it frequently. It's just how dark grout is w/hard water. (if you have soft water, you could be ok).

Whenever dark grout is used w/white tile, every single mistake will become more prominent. I'd consider using a gray grout next time.

what brand of tiles are these? lets see what the specs say. do you have a leftover box or know where they were purchased? look on your order form.

Do you have a contract w/this guy?

You say he's a contractor? A contractor isn't a tile setter. can they tile? yes. but they're usually aren't the best because they don't do it all the time

Do you have any pictures of how the shower was built?

Any idea about waterproofing? What materials did he use under the shower?

what about the shower pan? how was that constructed?

Have you spoken with him about the recent problems? Is he or is he not willing to fix them?

Does he have a license? if he refuses to fix anything and you feel you were cheated, you can file a complaint w/your state contractors licensing board. It's not difficult to do.

If he refuses to fix anyting you could go to small claims court.

What did he charge you just to tile the shower? Did he buy the materials or did you?

Did he do anything else for this 85% you paid up front? what was written on the contract?

At this point it's up to you. I don't know if the shower was built safely with proper waterproofing.

That should be your number 1 concern because if that fails, you could cause water damage to the structure.

As for the tile install, you could ask an actual tile expert to come out and look at everything for you, giving you an estimate for a redo. Follow Creative Tile's advice on how to find an 'expert', not a contractor who does tiling. You could also go to a high end tile store and speak to the manager. Ask him who tiled his house. Then check out that name w/the licensing board to see if he has any complaints. Check his name for reviews.

Don't beat yourself up over this. It's not your fault. You hire people because they're supposed to be the experts. If you knew how to do all of this, you wouldn't have to pay someone else. Sadly, your experience happens more often than it should. Homeowners literally have to be detectives whenever they hire someone to work on their homes now, as well as studying the finer points of waterproofing and tiling just so they know if the worker is doing it correctly! A lot of this has to do w/cheap labor undercutting extablished tile experts. Homeowner is looking for a deal and doesn't want to pay 8K for an expert tile setter. they fall for the BS of, "oh, I can do all this for 2500" ! I'm not saying this is what you did, I'm just saying this is how this problem has gotten out of hand.

Sheri Nilsson thanked Beth H. :