SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Another wedding attire question

3katz4me
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

What is considered ”summer cocktail” attire for men and women at an outdoor wedding at a mountain venue at 5pm in August? We were also advised to wear shoes suitable for grass and a bit of a walk to the location of the ceremony. I’m pretty sure I know what I’m wearing but not sure about DH.

Comments (65)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Blue blazers are somewhat of a uniform for the men in my world. One of my sons calls that garment, The jacket of instant style. My boys get their first blue blazer shortly before middle school.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Same here, Zalco. For me, that look, especially at a summer wedding, evokes New England

• Related Discussions

A girlie question--Evening Wedding attire

Q

Comments (14)
    Oh, I was a military brat and an officer's wife as well, and the protocol was so defined, one even knew before the fact where they'd be seated at a function or park in the lot outside. Neither of my parents were 'high society', but of a generation where upward mobility was linked to 'what other people' thought. Since America didn't have royalty, we had to invent them and it was done in social circles. I do a lot of historical and genealogical research, and anyone my age or older knows very well how the society section of the paper read. It was the common mass' fifteen minutes of fame and nobody begrudged it to them. Oh gosh.......not that protocol should dissolve completely. I still cringe at white shoes worn before Memorial day, sandals in winter, school jackets worn over formals, and bridal gowns designed like somebody forgot to cover their underwear, complete with corset stays showing as well as a mountain of cleavage all the while a veil over the face denoting modesty. rofl. After googling the popular W**martian U-tube videos nothing shocks me anymore and a really pretty red sweater and Tuxedo pants for a wedding strikes me as beautifully appropriate. Enjoy yourself.
    ...See More

Wedding guest attire help needed

Q

Comments (88)
    Well, I survived the wedding and my dress turned out to be perfect for the crowd and venue. I think I only posted it on JTL’s funeral attire thread so here it is. INC on sale $70, and it’s even less now. I’m not a gazelle so it was just above my knees. Wore a longish mixed medal pendant. Flared sleeves are super cute. I actually like this dress and will wear it again
    ...See More

More wedding guest attire...

Q

Comments (14)
    fyi nordstrom has the navy floral and the black embroidered one in P sizes yes the pink one i showed first comes in petite (scroll down past the cardigan) https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/nic-zoe-daybreak-open-front-cardigan-and-matching-items-prod209690023?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat14950738%2526pageSize%253D30%2526Nao%253D0%2526Ns%253DPCS_SORT%2526refinements%253D4294913919%252C73700044%252C73700045&eItemId=prod209690023&xbcpath=cat000000_cat000001_cat14950738&cmCat=product I like the way it looks like it has texture.
    ...See More

Another Wedding Attire Post

Q

Comments (19)
    Thank you all so very much for the compliments, good wishes, and the weather info and advice. It is all appreciated. Ruby, yes, I have a pair of low-heeled black sandals that are also a contender. I’m going to re-try everything and make a decision this weekend. Their wedding colors are black and gold and my DIL is wearing a black dress with gold trim. I’ll be in the background anyway and didnt really want to wear black so this was the next best thing. I tried a couple of gowns in a champagne color but that color just is not flattering on me. I think i will order the ruana. It’s on sale for $66 and I can wear it around here when the weather isn’t so cold. Transportation will be provided from our hotel to the wedding venue so I’m not too worried about traveling around the afternoon/evening of the wedding. I’m just glad we’re driving so i can take whatever clothes I ’might’ need.
    ...See More
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Zalco/bring back Sophie! @jojoco Gotcha! Obviously a location/regional thing! Not that you wouldn't see a blue blazer here, but more variety.

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

Yeah ... responses will likely vary widely by region. What's considered "appropriate" on the east coast is likely to be something quite different than what you might see in the southwest. For some, it's the blue blazer. For others, jeans and boots are perfectly acceptable.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Navy blazers are def the uniform in my town also. trousers, jeans, ubiquitous khakis or even shorts might accompany it.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

Not sure which oart of the country you’re in and whether it’s a daytime affair. Here in the south, seer sucker suits are popular summer wedding attires for men among the young/hip as well as the old/conventional. They’re not exactly inexpensive nor are they considered cheap. You’ll find articles like Like this one from GQ, and this and similar magazines. Here are a few:

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

oh i agree a blazer iis appropriate for a formal wedding, i meant you wouldnt see a sea if blue ones here, but a variety of colors/patterns.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Here in my part of the east coast, formal weddings, always held in the evening, call for either a tuxedo or a dark suit. In fact, I've never even been to a daytime wedding, but will next summer when our daughter gets married in California. I'm looking forward to a slightly more casual (but no jeans!) celebration.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@bookwoman, I'm afraid I've mislead you! My apologies, I think I read formal attire somewhere in the thread (or I dreamed it???!!!), but from the OP I see it is "summer cocktail" attire. It is a mountain venue. I like whoever suggested a pretty dress for the women and a sport coat, trousers and no tie for the men. I've never had an invitation that said "summer cocktail" so I'm thinking similar to casual dressy?

I've never been to a wedding formal enough for male guests to wear tuxedos (only the wedding party, officiant, etc.). But yes, an evening wedding (depending on venue and what bride/groom want) would ordinarily be a suit. Evening weddings seem to be more popular here in the fall/winter, with lots of afternoon (particularly 4:00 pm) weddings in the spring/summer.

This has been an interesting thread!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ya know, I havent been to an indoor traditional wedding in years. I guess no one does that any more. DH has a nice linen jacket and lots of dress pants and dress shirts he hasnt worn in years. I’ll poke around in the archives and pick out a nice combo. It wont be a navy jacket and khaki pants. He’s too unconventional to wear what the masses are wearing.

Its interesting to see someone who wore suits and ties to work for years now wearing shorts to work. It took him awhile to come to that but he finally realized when you own the company you can set the standard for attire. He’s very respectful of events like weddings though and has no problem complying with the requested attire.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

This conversation reminds me of an event that we went to every year for my husband's work. It was an awards dinner to honor outstanding employees of the company - from warehouse workers to the marketing department. Each regional manager named winners for their area. This is a Pacific Northwest Company, and the event alternated between Seattle and Portland. I'll never forget one year when the dinner was held in Seattle. One of the winners from our area seemed to be AWOL when the dinner started. We were all a bit worried that he had spent too much time at the bar. But when his moment came to accept his award he went up to the podium wearing jeans and an obviously brand new white Hanes or Fruit-of-the Loom T-shirt - you could tell from the tell-tale fold lines in the shirt where it had wrapped around the cardboard in the package. Thank God he was wearing a Seattle Seahawks hat!

• User
    2 years ago

“Blue blazers are somewhat of a uniform for the men in my world. One of my sons calls that garment, The jacket of instant style. My boys get their first blue blazer shortly before middle school.”

Here, too Zalco, although mine got their first Little Imp navy blazer and gray flannel trousers for the first day of school in first grade. It never occurred to me that in other parts of the country this is considered either too formal or attire for the masses. 😎

Lots of people here get married indoors in churches, which still has a somewhat civilizing effect on attire. Admittedly wedding attire varies widely by region, type of venue, solemnity of occasion, ethnicity, nationality and religion, but I think most people know instinctively what is appropriate. If they’ve dressed totally wrong for the occasion it is more likely deliberate, than clueless.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User - maybe its a regional thing or you have more refined friends and relatives than I do. In the last few years I’ve attended three outdoor resort weddings, one beach resort wedding in the Dominican, two farm turned wedding venue weddings and one zoom wedding that would otherwise have been an outdoor rustic resort wedding. As it was the wedding took place in the woods along side a river. All of my generation got married in a church. All their kids get married somewhere else.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Men instantly look better in a navy blazer*. Yes, it is sharp paired with a blue or white button down shirt and just the right shade of khakis, which my DH disparagingly calls "the uniform." DH has a winter weight navy blazer, a summer navy blazer, and my fave, a cashmere navy blazer that is soooo soft. DS got his first navy blazer at age 5, and looked smashing in it and a white cotton turtleneck, with his sunny blonde hair. I love it when Kindergarteners wear "business casual."

DH likes seersucker for summer events, and he has a blue seerscuker blazer and also a grey seersucker suit.

The other day I was out shopping and I thought I'd get my DH a few more summer shirts. He wears a lot of pique polo shirts, but when it is very hot he likes a cotton button down. Sometimes, gasp, with short sleeves (sometimes long sleeves rolled up, a look i love with shorts and Sperrys).

So, anyway, I walk in Brooks Brothers and ask "do you have any button down short sleeved shirts?" The salesman replied "no, we do not ever carry them" with a slight emphasis on ever. Well then. I get it, it's not my fave look, but this was after a spate of 90 degree heat and I know what he'd like. No worries, RL was happy to sell me a few. BB was empty.

* come to think of it, I think many women do as well. My DD1 loves them. I have a double breasted Austin Reed, but it is mysteriously snug right now. : (

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Aha! Maybe that's it! The Uniform! I must be related to 2katz husband. I tend to follow the beat of a different drum. We are not formal people, and it would be like getting Ida's hubby out of jeans - getting me into a blazer. It's just not me, although I have many nice clothes and I can certainly dress appropriately for events. But remember, I am from the south!! I recall one of the first trips I made to Washington, DC probably as a pre-teen. I can still remember a lady asking me where I was from (my accent I guess) and then being surprised THAT I HAD ON SHOES. haha! I guess we are not all hillbillies here in TN. But seriously @mtnrdredux_gw I had no idea you were so preppy! No wonder you are mistaken for that preppy blogger.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Hahah! DH has short-sleeve button down shirts as well. Back in the day when the AC was whimpy if it existed at all in the buildings where he worked made them necessary. Besides, they always looked fine with his plastic pocket protector!

😆

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

My dad often wore (and my son still does) either one of those red/pink blazers or trousers (not together, not a suit) to summer parties. Love that look.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Me too, Cyn

• User
    2 years ago

Our son is wearing those red /pink bermuda shorts and a plaid RL short sleeve button right now for his birthday party downtown. You really cant go wrong with that kind of look, at least not where we live,

2katz, i dont think my group is more refined, maybe just more churchgoing 😊

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Nantucket Reds!

Nantucket Reds were originally inspired by cotton trousers worn in Brittany. A characteristic of Reds is that they fade to a "dusty rose" as they age. Since their inception, the cotton canvas pants have been marketed as shorts. The distinctive salmon pink color has since been used on hats, shirts, sweaters and socks.”

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

???

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nantucket Reds - I learn something new here everyday. Never heard of them here in MN but now that I have I’ll surely hear about them again

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I had no idea...now I know what you're talking about!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

It's a great look but always reminds me of tomato soup! DH would never go for it, and DS is even more conservative

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

Vadap might have come up with their own comment? There is no question mark and no winky face at the end of their semi quoted statement.

Zalco had both a ;-) and a question mark. To my mind that is two different comments. YMMV.

I'm not sure what either means; that's where I fall short in understanding. I'm not very good at what I think is being facetious and I'm abysmally bad at perhaps pointed possibly mean statements.

2 years ago

I think you're right @terezosa / terriks. Before I was married (about 6 years ago now), I bought an ettiquette book and it suggests that it is not proper ettiquette to put a dress code on a wedding invite.

My comment about etiquette books keeping pace with rude behavior was in response to this comment, directly above mine.

2 years ago

Mtn, I thought I was the only person with very preppy dressers who refuse to wear those red trousers. I kinda love the look. The men in my life all balk, yet they mostly wear clothes from J Press. Go figure.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

I have also never heard of these red pants/shorts!

Our son is wearing those red /pink bermuda shorts and a plaid RL short sleeve button right now for his birthday party downtown. You really cant go wrong with that kind of look, at least not where we live,

It's not a look that I've seen here in the Pacific Northwest.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Another who has not heard of the nantucket reds, but I'm in the south.

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

You might see those reds here, but most likely on young bearded hipsters drinking $15 pints in trendy brewpubs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Of course, I don't really like that nantucket red at all...but ever since I went looking, now every site I visit it chockablock with ads for nantucket red!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Zalco, there is conservative preppy, and there are pants with whales and the like, amirite?

• Kitch4me
    2 years ago

My nephew got married on Saturday. It was a beautiful day here on the west coast!

Cocktail attire was requested. Because of this thread, i could tell which guests were from the east coast. lol!

His west coast friends and family were in black. His east coast grandpa was in a khaki suit. His east coast uncles were in khaki pants and blue blazers. Younger guys in linen or light pants. A few wore hats.

I think everyone looked pulled together, not necessarily in cocktail attire. That was okay. We all just had fun!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

How beautiful!

• nini804
    2 years ago

I mean, it’s a wedding! One of the happiest, most exciting days of the couple’s life-surely it’s not too much trouble for the guests to dress appropriately? I didn’t request any particular attire…but I was married in the 90’s at our large, formal Episcopal church at 6:30 pm, with a reception at the country club with a band, dinner, drinking, and dancing. It was a toss up b/w men who wore dark suits and men who wore tuxes. Someone in jeans would have been incredibly out of place and umcomfortable.

We just attended the wedding of one of my dear friend’s children! The first in our friend group! She’s too young! 😂 Anyway, it was outside but very religious and simply lovely. The groomsmen wore suits instead of tuxes, and the guests were a mix of linen and seersucker suits and sportcoats (sportcoats skewed a bit younger.) I just can’t imagine anyone dressing down to the point of jeans here. All this to say, your dh would probably be fine in a nice sportcoat for the outdoor wedding you have coming up.

2 years ago

Fascinating comments about East Coast versus West Coast attire. In my Bay Area circle, the dress code is very East Coast- mind you a lot of us are East Coast transplants, but there are plenty of native Californians too, and they are indistinguishable from the East coasters.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

..."there is conservative preppy, and there are pants with whales and the like, amirite?"

Ummm, nope. My dad and his friends were some of the most conservative people and dressers you could imagine (back when conservative meant Eisenhower). I think it is more a case of where one grows up when it comes to clothes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Cyn, I am missing your point. My point was that some elements of preppy fashion are less controversial than others. Most guys won't balk at a navy blazer and khaki, and many will do seersuck and madras, but I find less take up on whale pants and their ilk. My DS does have some cute white shorts with navy lobsters, and khaki shorts with navy Adirondack chairs, but DH wouldn't wear embroidered anything.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

First I learn that there is such thing as Nantucket Red pants for men, now I find out that some wear these pants with whales on them?!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Cmon, now, yes you have? there is some regionality to it, but it is also very much a golf look

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Its not unusual to see guys in printed slacks here (Florida) including madras, whales, sail boats and tiny flamingos.

Although I prefer the flamngos on a dark backgroud.

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

Admittedly, I don't get out much lately, and I'm not a golfer, but I really can't imagine many (if any) men in Southern Oregon wear those types of pants.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

Mtn, just saying that conservative/preppy and those trousers (if that is what you meant) are not necessarily different. I also grew up with men wearing those embroidered trousers. Not controversial where we were at all. Still, not worn by everyone. Not all conservatives are preppy, but back in the 50s through maybe the 70s, my dad's generation in our area were both conservative and preppy and wore those trousers which we didn't consider controversial. That's all. Didn't intend to offend you, just explaining my view on it.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I dont think the pants/shorts are controversal; i just dont see them around here. I do see a fair amount of madras plaid shorts on men.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I'm not sure it's an east/west coast thing that's determining what people wear as much as it may be a social class thing. I'm on the east coast and I've been to formal events with more white collar folks and everyone was dressed very formally. And then I have been to, eg, a wake with a more blue collar group and saw cut off shorts and sandals and cowboy boots and jeans.

Then there was my uncle from FL whose only apparent suit was a mustard polyester leisure suit from the 70s which he wore to his mother's funeral...I guess I can give him credit for still fitting into the thing decades later...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Yes, I see what you mean Cyn. No offense at all, just saying that IME, even among preppies and golfers, the whale pants were just less common than a lot of other "preppy" looks.

Geez, Annie, I can picture the leisure suit. I may have nightmares.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OMG - DH would not be caught dead in any of those whale type pants or shorts for that matter. He does wear these however.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Those are such a pretty plaid! DH has a lot of BB boxers that look like that, I call it his Catholic schoolgirl look.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Of course you can picture it Mtnrd! And you know he wore it with a dark brown and orange printed shirt!

• nini804
    2 years ago

Since I am addicted to Lilly myself, ofc I love the whole Vineyard Vines look for guys! It’s just so fun and summery and festive! My dh won’t do any of the loud stuff (i think i saw a Kentucky Derby print patchwork blazer in the catalogue once😳😂.) I mean, that’s just hilarious! The craziest he’ll get is maybe a fun needlepoint belt or something.🙄 I think it is nice to see guys as colorful as girls, especially in the summer.