SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_360034478

Replacing Windows from 1990 MN home

Scott Trudeau
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My wife are I starting the process of replacing our windows and by starting I mean we're at the very beginning of information gathering. We had a few questions:

1. Is it a good idea to replace all windows in the house at the same time assuming that can be afforded? Said differently, should we wait until we can afford to do them all at once.
  2. What are your vinyl window brand preferences? Also what Model if applicable.
  3. We tend to shy away from base models but don't always have the funds for top of the line so any other suggestions would be helpful.
  4. Given we've already purchased cellular shades for most of the window, is it highly unlikely we'll be able to replace the windows with the same/similar size and still be able to used the shades?
  5. Is there anything else we need to consider?

Particulars about the house:

• Twin Cities, MN
  • Built in 1990 by Orrin Thompson
  • 2 Story with walkout basement
  • 2x6 exterior studs
  • Rectangular shape
  • Oriented East/West
  • The back of the house has a west facing walkout which also means it has the most exterior sq ft.
  • The windows are original, most of them being casements and all but one being double pane. The only one that isn’t is the small basement window.
  • Back of house: 10 windows (7 casements and 1 picture window flanked on either side by 1 casement window each)
  • Front of house: 6 windows (2 casements, 1 hexagonal window that wouldn’t mind turning this into a small square/rectangular picture window, Bay Window: 1 picture window flanked on either side by 1 casement window each)
  • Side of house: 1 small basement window (my pure guesstimation says it’s around 24” x 12”)

What initially got us started down this path is that the windows are looking shabby; broken seals, some gaskets just dangle down, there’s condensation inside quite a few of the windows or they fog over easily and there’s quite a bit of weathering/wear from being over 30 years old. From the inside the windows look to be all wood, from the outside they’re white so it’s hard to tell but they look as though it’s some other material; either way the vast majority of the window looks to be wood.

More of a current issue is that during the summer the heat gain from the windows is unreal. The worst of it comes after 3pm when we get full sun on the back of the house until about 8:30 and even with cellular shades you can feel the heat when standing a few feet away. We’ve planted a few fast growing trees in the back yard to, in the long run, account for the impact of the sun but for now the only other option we have not attempted is to replace windows.

Also during the winter the windows do more to act as a heat sink than anything else and often almost entirely frost over if we have any humidity in the house and the shades are down.

Where possible we're looking at replacing the casements with sliders which by my estimation accounts for 7 windows in the back and 2 in the front. In instances where the casement flanks a picture window we're thinking of sticking with a casement.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Scott T.

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Glenn Pierce Home Improvements
    2 years ago

Pictures of the front and the back of your house would be helpful.

If you don't mind white vinyl windows then Simonton is definitely my favorite, because they have the best warranty, lifetime transferable. Also they have a moderate price tag and quick delivery time.

The home center windows are usually junk by comparison but there are other choices. So, Simonton are under $400 each but there are other brands that are either aluminum clad, Sierra Pacific, or composite clad wood, I think Marvin has these. These windows will cost you just about 2 times the Simonton 5500, which I would recommend. You can also get solid wood windows that are painted on the outside, Andersen Woodwright.

I'm a PA contractor and I get my windows at building supply or lumber yard.

If a contractor wants to give you home center windows I would probably move on.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Glenn, thank you for the reply! My wife's preference is to go with a white window, inside and out. I've added Photos of the front and back of the house.

• Related Discussions

Best replacement windows in MN??

Q

Comments (38)
    This is great info . Thanks I need to replace a 72" x 88" opening. I currently have one picture window along the top two picture windows on the bottom with a roll out window in the center. I'd prefer it to be one big picture window. Can you tell me what brand has the best price and energy efficient? Renewal by Anderson's bid was really high and Home Depot didn't offer a window that size.
    ...See More

Updating 1990's drapery in postmodern home - Advice appreciated

Q

Comments (14)
    mnzinnia, thanks! It took me some time to embrace those stepped windows, but now I love how unusual the house is. The front room is not open to the dining room. The dining room is open to the living room, but the living room doesn't have windows other than the sliding doors to the sunroom. I understand, Patricia. I know you feel like I'm putting the cart before the horse and I'm sorry. I presented the case for waiting, but my partner is resistant to the idea, so I'm trying to make selections that will work with the colors we're most likely to use in this house. I hope you'll still help me make selections, even though it's not the order of operations you prefer. I have a fair idea of what sofa I want for this room and I have fabric samples coming. I should have them in hand before we place the order for the drapes. We are awaiting a quote from Budget Blinds for these fabrics: Front room: Left to Right: Front room, dining room, and a slate gray sheer for the master bedroom to be hung in front of the white blackout drapes that are currently installed. (I find it a bit hilarious that we have chosen two circle patterns.) Wave/Ribbonfold for both the front room and dining room. Front room hardware plain white installed on ceiling. Dining room decorative hardware in black (goes well with the bronze that the new windows will have) wall mounted due to the ceiling slope. Triple pinch pleat with bottom tack for the master bedroom sheer, and using the ceiling mounted traverse rods that are already installed. The wall color is Hint of Vanilla, and we're not planning on repainting. We have this color throughout the common rooms in our house - and I checked on here when we were having the interior painted and I was strongly advised to stick with the eggshell-like color, so that's what we did.
    ...See More

Updating 1990s house with new siding, windows and entryway

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks houssaon for the renderings! I agreed it would look better without the large gable but I don’t think we want to spend the money to do that. Too many other projects. I was hoping to make it more interesting with a mixture of siding perhaps. Your suggestion about the architect is a good one as well.
    ...See More

Polaris full frame window replacement Question/Options

Q

Comments (15)
    They could do a full frame without nail nail flange and and out ut into the rough opening or do as insert and put inbetween tour interior wood casing, this would give mire glass loss. From the edge of the frame to the edge of glass will be roughly 3”.
    ...See More
  • Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Are there any other considerations that need to be made? Also seems like a generic unanswerable question but would replacing 30 year old windows have an appreciable difference as it relates to u-factor and shgc? Not familiar with the technological advancements in windows.

• s a
    2 years ago

Same situation here, looking for replacements for our windows here in MN for our 30 yr old house, that are mostly casement, old windows are vinyl Wellington and are about 19 yrs old and are failing.

We are sticking to a major name this time (Wellington folded), so looking at renewal by Andersen, Marvin, pella. We are going black exterior, white interior. Our first bid back is about $1600+ per window, but we are looking at fiberglass. Extreme temps here are making us shy away from vinyl.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

OP, why slider's? They are typically the weak link in any manufacturer's product line. Are you looking at full framed replacements, it sounds so. I would look for a Okna, Polaris or Kensington dealer were it me and look at a quality vinyl product. Marvin or Kolbe in a fiberglass would also be worth considering in my opinion. Nothing Pella or RBA in my honest opinion.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Millworkman, I grew up with sliders so I really haven't familiarized myself with "if we should". I suppose my dislike for casements is a bit petty considering the house my wife and I just bought has the originals in more or less working order, albeit hard to crank even when cleaned and lubricated. I see all the moving parts required and the stem under the handle and can't help but see so many failure points; likely things that will be no longer available once they do fail. Sliders to me seem simple and I have no familiarity with other kinds of windows which is why I leaned into sliders. That's not to say I have no interest in learning of other options so please don't hesitate to offer information and your experiences.

Can you give me an example of what you mean by Weak link?

I contacted Okna and unfortunately they "do not have a certified dealer in Minnesota"

Do you have a preference between Vinyl and fiberglass? I'm guessing fiberglass is considerably more expensive?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Weak link being the performance (air infiltration, condensation rating, etc.) is typically the lowest in sliding windows. Fiberglass is more dollars but the difference really depends the look you are looking for and the budget. Marvin and Kolbe make pretty good fiberglass. Their are Canadian companies that make great fiberglass. And the brands I mention all make quality vinyl products. If going vinyl I would only use one of the better brands.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Maybe message toddinmn. He is a respected professional on here who may be able to help. Not sure where you are located but I believe he is in the Minneapolis area.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

toddinmn, what are your thoughts on the Sunrise Window brand?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

I like there casements but not a fan if there double hungs and sliders.

Scott Trudeau thanked toddinmn
  • Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Any suggestions on how I go about finding a contractor that installs either the Soft-Lite and/or Polaris windows? I tried HomeAdvisor but there's no ability to narrow the contractors by brand and now I'm getting constant phone calls that don't leave messages if I don't pick up. So far today I've been able to talk to 6 that have called and none of them install either brand.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

I think Universal Windows Direct is one of the very few Polaris dealers. There more than a few soft-Lite dealers.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So far, we've a few contractors come out. I'll try and update this as I get more information

Polaris:

Contractor 1:

Seemed to be new to the company and didn't really know what product his company was selling, simply called it the 800 series window. Didn't have much information on what all was included on a full frame install. Overall if I didn't know anything I still wouldn't feel confident in purchasing there.

Bid was $24k for "800 series" triple pane - I asked for double but got a "free upgrade" to triple. No NFRC ratings were given in the bid.

Soft-Lite:

Contractor 1:

knew what he was selling, for the most part kept things above board with a few claims of being hundreds of percent greater than "the next brand". Either way he was knowledgeable and not pushy which was appreciated.

Bid was $38.6k for the Elements triple pane - again, I asked for double but got a "free upgrade" to triple. U-Factor: 0.19 | SHGC: 0.22 | VT: 0.36 | CR: 70 | IGU Thickness 1"

Contractor 2:

Not pushy with no claims that make you double take.

Bid was

• $22k for Classic Plus - Double pane - U-Factor: 0.29 | SHGC: 0.28
    • $25k for Pro - Triple pane - U-Factor: 0.19 | SHGC: 0.22
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

The difference in Soft-Lites Double hungs can be big, but when it comes to casements there all built on the same chassis with the only difference being optiins. The Pro casement is an excellet value in this case , its gonna come down to the dealers credentials and the install method. When comes down to it Ii am not fond of any. It seems there all focused on the sales and are off no help on the details. I am not sold in anything at this point. it seems they are failing to walk you through the steps on adetailed driven jobthat is easy to explain for a company that is specialized in windows.

• oberon476
    2 years ago

Scott,

Go with the triple pane in MN, the upgrade is worth it.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

All of those prices were for updating all 14 openings but changing the 9 standalone Casement windows to Sliders. The Soft-Lite Contractor #1 gave us a breakdown of the window, the install and everything in between and he seemed very knowledgeable but they only sold the Elements and $38.6k is well beyond our reach.

• Julie Praus
    2 years ago

As a Minnesota Building Inspector, the best window replacement jobs I see are done by Renewal By Andersen. I don’t know what they cost, but they would be my personal choice. Do a few windows at a time if you need to, don’t go with cheap windows, they may not be any better than what you have. Don’t do sliders, no matter the quality, in my opinion they look cheap.

• s a
    2 years ago

We ordered Fiberglass Marvyn's for us here in MN. 4 months to build/install.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

if you don't mind me asking how many windows, what type and roughly how much did the fiberglass windows cost?

• s a
    2 years ago

It was expensive. I never want to look at windows again for this house. Honestly, we bid the more traditional places (Pella, Renewal, and Marvyn) and all were similar in price range. The prior owner bid/replaced with Wellington, lower cost, vinyl and went out of business without a warranty. Those windows are failing 18 years later. This is the main reason we went with the 'traditional' names. There are a couple of original wood windows left, that are in real bad shape.

We are going mostly casement with about 33 panes. Black exterior, white interior. I would say each pane is 1500-2500 depending on configuration.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Soft-Lite:

Contractor #3:

Spent 25 minutes here, didn't explain really anything about the window or the install process, measured a few windows and gave a bid. Tried to push to get something setup, "if we can at least do a few windows now then I can lock in the price for the rest of the project".

First Bid was

• $25k for Imperial Elite

Ensuing conversation:

ME: "is that full frame install" || HIM: "Yeah that's for the whole thing. Have you gotten any other bids yet" || ME: "Yeah, we've had one other so far but it was beyond our price range and it was for the Elements model" || HIM: "How much was it" || ME: "38k" || HIM: "Oh wait you said full frame? I gave you the wrong quote. Our price is $32.8k"

Ending bid: $32.8k

When he tried to push for the sale and I mentioned that I had the estimate scheduled before we just started the process to get medication for my 4 month old son's Cystic Fibrosis and I didn't want to give any solid timeline just to have to back out later. Without insurance the meds are, no joke, 360k per year. He didn't know what CF was, I explained it and how bad it can be for the people who have it, his response was "I hate to be a downer but if they haven't cured it by now..."

I called the manager to log a complaint, he said that I probably caught the guy off guard and rather than saying nothing he probably just said somethings stupid. He also had to explanation for the price increase.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've been seeing some brands/models volunteer the Air infiltration rating and others simply mention that their windows reach "as good as .01 cfm". Is there a point at which the cfm of a sliding window would disqualify it from your consideration; this assumes you, like me, are considering a sliding window

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

Slider are gonna typically be closer to 0.10.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I get hung up sometimes on the NFRC ratings.

is there even any appreciable difference between 0.10 cfm and.08 or .01?

one other example:

SHGC of .34 vs .29 vs .21

at what point is there an appreciable difference?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    2 years ago

Yes, there are differences among all of those numbers.

1) They tell you the performance to expect

2) For the most part, they go hand in hand with quality. There are a few exceptions such as fiberglass and wood windows which generally don't have great air infiltration ratings. The nicer units like Marvin, Kolbe, etc are still quality products, you are simply trading off the aesthetics for performance.

In a vinyl or composite window, Air infiltration for a casement should really be .01-02cfm at worst. Double hung (lower is better .01-.03), but there are some well made units around .04-.05. Much higher than that is generally a red flag. Sliders are inherently leakier, so most good ones are still .05-.1x, the only stellar unit I can think of is Okna's Starmark EVO at .03, Todd may be able to cite another or two.

SHGC: that makes a difference as well, however the rating that you want here is determined by your climate. In a colder region like MN, you will want that rating to be moderate to high. Mid 20's are okay as long as its traded off for an excellent U value from triple pane glass (.20 or lower). If its double pane and a rating like .27 (energy star for your area), you'd want that to be in the upper 20's and 30's. Seeing something like a .27-.30 U value accompanied by a .21-.24 (or so) SHGC will tell you that this is an inferior window with glass designed for Arizona or TX, not MN. A very high number (think 40's) can be good, but only if your home is designed to take advantage of that passive solar gain, and not turn into a hot box in the summer months.

Watch for Condensation Resistance (CR) as well. These days some manufacturers will achieve a nice U value by using a low e coating on the interior surface (surface 4), which can be problematic in cold climates that are prone to condensation issues. Ideally you'd like to see that rating in the 60's for double pane and 70's for triple pane.

You have some solid product choices to consider there, hopefully you are able to find a dealer that is reputable and trustworthy.

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Update to this, we ended up going with Richlin windows, just the back of the house for now.

4 - 900 Series sliders

1 - Heritage Series Patio Door

The Casement/Picture combo was 500 Series casement

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 months ago

Solid update. Happy with the product/install?

• Scott Trudeau
    Original Author
    9 months ago

They just finished the install two days ago so it hasn't been long but for sure it's already made a difference in reducing outside noise. There's also been a noticeable difference in solar heat gain reduction; we have no shade in the afternoon because the tree in the backyard died and it'll take a while for the two trees we planted to help out.

We went with Craftsmen Home Improvements and they did a great job from beginning to end; great communication, explained how they go about the install and once we got to the installation I thought the installers were awesome. I was seeing a massive discovery of water damage from the old sliding door in my nightmares but when I mentioned I was concerned about water from the old door they called me down after they removed the door to show me that there was nothing to worry about; not that they installed the old one 32 years ago but I thought that was pretty nice of them.

The only thing of all of it that surprised me was that the Richlin sliders don't have wheels, just flat on the bottom with weather stripping. I didn't even think to look but simply didn't expect it. Overall the windows are great.