SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Rose mystery - please help me figure this out

Twenty-six years ago I moved into my current home and started a garden. My grandmother gave me two Jackson and Perkins bagged roses, nothing special, probably bought at the equivalent of a Walmart. I put them in my first garden, which wasn't really ideal for roses, being in more than partial shade.

Over the years one of them died. The remaining rose survived but did not thrive, but always had a couple of blooms which were coral colored. I didn't really like the color at all but of course the rose had sentimental value, especially after my grandmother died.

After almost ten years of planning on moving this rose - and not doing so because I was so afraid to kill it! - I moved it last fall. I have a bed with orange/yellow/red bloomers in one corner of my yard, but most of my yard is pink and purple bloomers. I am making a long bed between the two beds that will transition from red/yellow/orange to the pink/purple, and put this coral-colored rose there, thinking it would help bridge the color spectrum.

Thank God it survived the move and is doing well. And then it bloomed....

... and it's white! How can this rose, that was coral for 25 years, suddenly be WHITE?

I did not move the wrong rose. This rose was the only other rose in the bed with a very large Darlow's Enigma, which is still in it's old spot. I KNOW it was coral, because every year I would wish the other (pink) rose had survived instead, and I didn't like the color. I know I'm not confusing the rose in this new spot with anything else because this is a new bed and it's the only rose in it. And I have no other coral roses blooming anywhere.

Is this possible? I know heat or sun can affect a color somewhat (dark pink to light pink, etc), but can there be such a drastic color change?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

:)

Dee

Comments (7)