wcdoran

Help with courtyard wall ideas

wcdoran
3 days ago

I have a walled in courtyard that separates my home from my garage. I have three of the 4 walls figured out, the 4th wall is my design dilema. I have furniture or potted plants along three of the walls and would prefer not to use more potted plants, would like to add some other type of interest. /things we have considered:

- a 66" ipe wood and metal console table (decorated with lanterns and a small potted plant). Unfortunatley the cost to have it built is more than what we care to spend for an outdoor table ($1200-1500). This was my first choice.

- a fountain, but there is no power in that area of the wall and they are not cheap either.

- a vertical garden, husband wasn't too keen on that one.

I have attached photos to help you get a feel for the space. The wall I am having an issue with is the one that currently has a lone yucca plant and an empty bracket for a hanging plant, please ignore those as they will be removed. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!!!

Comments (16)

• wcdoran
    Original Author
    3 days ago

A few more pics to get a full 360 view of the area...

• arcy_gw
    3 days ago

Know any artists? A bright fun mural would be fabulous there!!

• Related Discussions

Courtyard design/fountain help needed, please

Q

Comments (24)
    I posted this on the other side yesterday and wasn't sure where this discussion was active. Basically I scanned your two posts, but my first thought was that your space was way too crowded with the 4 parterres, and since it looks like you nixed those in favor of the border, can I offer another idea? How about a triangular bed in each corner? I would put a dwarf taller plant (maybe a conifer like a soft cryptomeria) in the corner flanked by the boxwoods for some interest. It would better balance the space instead of just a 'ring' of boxwoods. There are also some really nice variegated dwarf boxwoods (I have some around our pond) that would be a nice complement to your stonework. It would also give your fountain a little more space, not to mention more walking room. You need at least 3' of pathway. I would keep the center fountain/pool/whatever small-ish, but ensure there is some height there in keeping with your house. I love the look of an urn with your home. Are you going to be doing the maintenance on a fountain yourselves? If so, an urn or vessel does require some periodic maintenance to keep leaves out and algae at bay. Not much, just some scrubbing, etc, and winterizing, depending on your climate. Something to keep in mind. It will be beautiful no matter which you choose.
    ...See More

Need help choosing materials for front courtyard walls

Q

Comments (4)
    Also, the original design calls for 18" walls with 36" columns, and 18" railing. I am wondering if these are the right dimensions/proportions. I almost think it's too short. Maybe 24" would be better. If I did that should I raise the columns up to maybe 36"? And then the railing would be 12". I don't have a good sense of proportion for this part of the project. The entry seems so tall that I don't want the walls to look squatty in comparison, but at the same time we are not trying to achieve an enclosed courtyard with highwalls. It's more of an accent, a way to make the front entry prettier.
    ...See More

Courtyard Flowerbed and Concrete Wall

Q

Comments (4)
    I love your question! I'm really open to anything that would be a conversation piece and enjoyable over time. I live in Ca so the backyard is pretty much used year round. And thanks for the trailing plants that drape over the sides. I think you're right on that! I'll start looking for those this weekend!
    ...See More

Help with walled courtyard patio privacy

Q

Comments (8)
    "The pics do not completely show all of the gaps/holes in the trees." But the point of pics is to SHOW the problem. If we can't see it, it's hard to evaluate. Usually, where trees are used to screen, the lower level screening becomes worse over time as the lower branches decline. I wouldn't particularly care for filling the foreground (strip of lawn area) with screening plants. I think it would be better to keep it at a distance. You could replace the lower hemlock branches with the foliage of a shade tolerant hedge. I also wouldn't care for a privacy fence in front of the hemlocks. If you use a fence, it should be behind the hemlocks, close to the property line.
    ...See More
  • wcdoran
    Original Author
    3 days ago

arcy_gw, unfortunately I do not. I'm not really a fan of murals so I don't think that's something I would pursue, but thank you for offering a suggestion. :)

I liked this idea (the planters on the wall) but not sure if it would be too much wood with the teak wood piece in the corner of that same wall. I wouldn't have room for three and one may look too dinky on the large wall.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 days ago

Some faux greenery wall cover idea

• Angel 18432
    3 days ago

What a lovely spot to have to relax. I think you need a couple of outdoor rugs to warm up the space. Pull the sofa away from the wall, you have lots of space so don't have to have it crammed against the wall.

I would cluster your plants - not one here, one there. Try clustering them in groups of thee,

Three different heights in each cluster.

The two chairs, have them face the sofa so you have a large grouping of seating.

The large fern, put it in the corner behind the lamp after you pull the sofa into the room.

• JT7abcz
    3 days ago

You have a beautiful space!

Your teak wood piece is fantastic and not being used to it's full potential tucked in the corner. I'd make it a focal point and hang it (not prop it up) where the large palm tree is now on the back wall. Scoot the two matching plants toward it so they aren't blocking your carriage lights.

There are a variety of outdoor screens available, some quite economical, that could compliment the wood piece. Get two to hang on the wall behind the chairs, in between the hanging baskets. The baskets are too small to carry that wall by themselves.

Add two more screens on the other side and place the large palm tree in between.

Some extras to consider: solar powered water fountain(s), larger carriage lights on a dimmer switch, a floor lamp in the corner of the seating area (for height), rugs, and attractive solar lights in the pots for the evening.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 days ago

I can’t figure out which wall you want to decorate since they all seem to have plants in front of them. I would put in a bar/beverage station where you can stash a cooler, store some drink ware, table linens, liquor, entertaining necessities etc. Then do some art on the wall behind the bar. where is your grill?

• l pinkmountain
    3 days ago

Ask yourself first how you are going to use that area. What kinds of activities are you going to do and what kind of atmosphere do you want to create. That should drive your decisions, not the other way around. For example, me I'm a plant person so I'd use that space to espalier something. But gads, if you're not a plant person that would be heck! I also love metal art, so I might splurge and get a piece like that, but gads, I can't afford something like that. I might want to drown out street nosie, so then a wall fountain, Shady wants a bar and some would want an outdoor kitchen so then I might be hanging planters and growing herbs against the wall . . . etc., etc., etc. Form follows function . . .

• wcdoran
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Thank you for all the suggestions, finally found time to sit down to reply!!! Rather than create separate comments I figured I would reply to everyone on this one comment. :)

Celery. Visualization, Rendering images, thanks for the idea using the faux greenery. Since I have a lot of real plants in the courtyard I'm not sure I would like having a wall of faux. I'm sure it would look amazing in another setting.

Angel 18432, thanks for your many suggestions. We really do enjoy the space and are hoping to finalize the decor so we can relax and not spend our time analyzing everything!! Rugs are something I have wanted to add but my husband is not in favor of them. We hose the patio down fairly frequently and he is concerned about the travertine under the rugs and the rugs not drying well and getting moldy. We don't really want to be picking up the rugs and turning them over to dry every time we hose down the patio. Unfortunately I think I have lost the rug battle.

The reason we have the sofa up against the wall is because we have a small overhang that protects the furniture from the rain. That way we are able to use the sofa and chairs right after it rains, no waiting around for the cushions to dry. As for the two chairs, I set that area up as a separate sitting area but we can always move the chairs over to the sofa area if necessary. Another reason they are in that location is because they extend out to make lounge chairs, and that is the best spot for sunning.

The plants have been a work in progress...I wanted a clean look and to cover as much wall space as possible. The smaller plants in the black pots on the plant stands were going to go on either side of the table I wanted to have built, I just placed them between the row of plants on the back wall temporarily. But I do get your rational to mix it up a bit...it's a struggle haha.

JT7abcz, thank you for your generous comments on our space and the teak piece. We have the teak piece in the corner for two reasons...to protect it from the elements (that area is covered) and we thought it warmed up the sitting area, made it a little more homey feeling. I think your idea off placing it on the back wall between the two plants would look awesome but we aren't willing to risk the beating it would take from the rain and sun. Another reason why we have the three large plants along the back wall is that is what you see when you walk in the front door and from the kitchen. I preferred looking at greenery rather than a yellow wall. ;)

I do like the suggestion of the wall panels, I have looked at those online. And I agree we need something else on the wall with the hanging baskets. We tried some metal sulpture wall hangings but with the shadows there were soooo many lines between the actual wall hanging and the shadows, it drove me crazy. Perhaps a tighter design would be less apt to create shadows. The other concern I had with wallpanels was having too many large vertical pieces since we already have the teak piece. Do you think that is something to think about or more of a non issue?

And last but not least, I again love the suggestion of the two panels on the wall with the large palm in between, the glitch there...yes I am finding there is always a glitch...we placed the large palm next to the chair to hide a big drain spout. So even if the panels were not too much of a "vertical thing" we would prefer not to move the palm away from the drain. What do you think of just two panels next to each other with no plant in between? All of your other suggestions are great and we have incorporated some of them...we recently installed the carriage lights and they are on dimmers (that was the size recommended by the lighting store person),and lights behind plants. Unfortunately rugs have been vetoed by my husband. :( Thanks again!!

ShadyWillowFarm, thanks for your reply. The wall I am working on is the one with the lone yucca plant, the best view of it is in the third photo. There is a large palm on that wall but once you eliminate the yucca it is completely bare for the most part. Since we have our table in the middle there isn't alot of room to add anything too wide, but yes I was thinking along the same lines as you with an area for beverages, etc. when we are entertaining. That plan has been put on the back burner for now due to the cost of the table. That area is not covered so it gets wet when it rains so I wouldn't want to store too much out there on a regular basis. Our grill is in the back right corner of the courtyard (first pic), you can see a bit of the black cover peeking out from behind the plant.

I pinkmountain, yes, you are correct form does follow function!! We use the area to relax and entertain when we have friends over. We don't have any specific needs for the area, as much as I would like to have a table to set things up when we have company, we have survived without one just fine. My main goal is to have the area look finished. It has been hanging over my head for awhile and I'm just ready to be done haha. Thanks again for your input.

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply with suggetions!!

• calidesign
    3 days ago

Your plants all look great. Sometimes it's nice to have areas that aren't filled up with "stuff". Since you already have a lot of pots, and the stone accent wall next to that area, I wouldn't add anything to the wall. I would paint that section a deep green color. It would relate well to all your greenery, and make the wall recede. If you absolutely wanted to add anything to the wall after the paint, you could add a large outdoor mirror, centered over your table, which would give the table more focus and add some sparkle to the space.

• JT7abcz
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

I understand your hesitation to place the teak piece in the sun and rain and wanted to mention in case you didn't know that teak is extremely weather resistant which makes it an ideal choice for outdoor use.

You asked, The other concern I had with wallpanels was having too many large vertical pieces since we already have the teak piece. Do you think that is something to think about or more of a non issue?

IMO, the large vertical pieces will enhance the space. The four walls of your courtyard truly make this an outdoor room. Any interior room, like a living or dining room, would look bare/unfinished with only furniture and plants and no art or texture on the walls. That's why your teak piece is so great, it provides texture and warmth and contrast, it's also another interesting vertical layer. You don't want to add more potted plants for texture and clearly, you like symmetry (me too.) Consider another layer for the wall by the chairs and the opposite wall, whether it's wall screens or shutters or some DIY pieces.

You already have a wonderful space and your furniture placement is spot on, just some ideas for you to consider.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 days ago

A cheap and easy step which I think would make it look more cohesive is if you clustered your plants. They look disjointed and spotty at present.

• ashtonchic
    2 days ago

I would attach a fairly large canopy to the wall and put a buffet-style table under it for entertaining. You can set it up for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. or for a buffet picnic.

• wcdoran
    Original Author
    yesterday

@calidesign, thanks for your comments about the placement of our plants. I know a lot of suggestions are to cluster them but I was looking for a more symmetrical, clean look...that's just the way my mind works.

Painting the wall is an interesting concept, never thought of that. I did look into outdoor mirrors after I read your comments, unfortunately the ones I saw had comments about not holding up too well in the rain and direct sun. Neat idea though, thanks.

@JT7abcz, thanks for coming back with more wisdom!!! Yes, we are aware that teak is fine out in the elements, we prefer to keep the nice brown color rather than the natural gray that results from exposure. I love your idea of putting it on the back wall but my husband (who is very handy) has no interest in going through the process of scrubbing each little piece with teak cleaner to bring it back to the brown color...thus it is tucked away.

Your comment about the 4 walls being like an indoor room was a very valid point. You are correct, we wouldn't leave indoor walls empty. I will have to start the hunt for wall art. Thanks for your remarks on furniture placement. There was thought behind it and it seems to work well for us.

@floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK, I appreciate your observation on my plant placement, a few others have made similar comments, however as I mentioned above I wanted a symmetrical, clean look. The small plants in the black pots on the plant stands are not permanent, they will be relocated once we finalize our plan. The lone yucca will also be gone, currently looking for a home for it. I like the two plants on either side of the two chairs, I think it gives balance and one of them hides the grill when looking from inside to outside.

@ashtonchic, thanks for your reply. That was my original plan, to put a console table on that wall, hadn't thought about a canopy. I'm not sure if you read through my original post, I was considering having a table built out of ipe wood (cheaper than teak but great in the outdoor environment) and metal legs to coordinate with my current coffee table. Unfortunately it was quite a bit more expensive than I anticipated and I'm having a hard time justifying the expense for an outdoor table when I want to replace a few pieces of furniture on the inside of my home. Thus my design dilemma!!

• calidesign
    yesterday

Intimate Space · More Info

Intimate Space · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

how about painting that one wall a brighter color and then accenting w/slat wood, plants, bright pots? ( I actually did this with cobalt on one of my walls. (pics below,) and here's how that looks

I think if you brought in some type of blue, or even a canary yellow, orange or green, did some wood, some plants, some bright ceramic pots, succulents, it would look greeat.

another idea is wood panels. You can get these (I ordered two of them) from wayfair and paint them the bright colors if you like. trail some plants on the walls around them

Teak may be weather resistant but it will gray within a year or so. YOu must use a marine quality varnish w/UV properties. and, it should be done once a year.

I have ipe and iroku in my yards.

can't remember if this was ipe or something similar. anyway, brand new! I even coated it w/a good marine varnish. want to see what happens when you don't do it every year? see pic 2

great, huh. It's still strong and not rotted. but this is the natural color it turns.

I used the Iroku slats as an orchid wall. It's simple to do yourself. and yes, I varnished the wood. This doesn't get any direct sunlight.

this wall is in the front courtyard area. I painted the one wall over a koi pond a bright cobalt.

I've since painted the house white and charcoal, but the blue wall is still there!

In the back yard over the pond waterfall (yes, we have two ponds) we did a slat fence made from redwood. much cheaper than the others. yes, I varnished that too!

I made all of the orchid pots with hooks on the back. if you do that, you can pot anything and hang it off the slat wood.

you could do succulents since yours is in the sun. I'd prob paint that wall a vibrant color too

I took an old cabinet door and turned it into a vertical succulent wall hanger.

Sponsored Story
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Pro Spotlight: Dive Into a Pool That Suits Its Surroundings