SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shen_yi1

Project estimation of Downdraft vent hood

Shen Yi
2 years ago

Hi, new to this forum and already seeing a lot of great discussions. I have an upcoming project to install a new vent hood in the kitchen.

Current situation:

I have an island gas stove, and an existing downdraft vent hood (a super old Maytag which is already discontinued, but very similar to the Broan model). The current vent hood vents through my crawlspace to outside wall.

The vent hood stopped working weeks back hence in need of a new one. I know a downdraft almost never works well comparing to over the head vents. But my guest bedroom is right above the kitchen so I guess running a new duct through ceiling may not be feasible. Hence I'm looking into installing a Best Cattura with internal blower. Based on my research, the cost breaks down to majorly and some questions need help:

1. Equipment (Vent hood and internal blower), prices seem to be transparent online and in local stores. No issue on this.

2. New duct to replace existing one with 10'' pipe. I assume this will be moderate project given the crawl space has enough space for the pipe? And I need to find HVAC company to do this instead of the vent hood installer?

3. Install of vent hood. I don't know where to look for installers, should I buy the equipment locally and ask the store to install it or buy online and hire dedicated install person?

4. Make up air cost (still confused on whether this is required or not). Existing vent hood has CFM of 500 and new one seems to be 600.

What are rough cost I should expect on 2&3? is there a single company can do both?

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)