SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecupcakes

Kitchen Pulls on Faux Drawers

Sunshyne
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some thoughts. I wanted to use edge pulls similar to the following BUT we have 2 faux drawer fronts nd I have no idea how to get these onto faux drawer fronts as they don't pull out. Does anyone know if there's a company who makes an edge pull and also makes a matching hardware for faux drawers? Or, does anyone have suggestions on how to make it work?

https://www.houzz.com/photos/park-slope-brooklyn-contemporary-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~1944264

Comments (25)

• unwantedadvice
    2 years ago

Hi. I’ve heard that faux drawers don’t need hardware but maybe some others on here will chime in.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I had a faux drawer at my old home. It came with a pull that matched all the others, it was simply glued on, without the screws. You could try that?

I got rid of it, because I and others kept inadvertently pulling on it... and eventually it would come off. So... you could try not adding one in the first place?

• Related Discussions

One Drawer Pull Or Two Drawer Pulls?

Q

Comments (14)
    Did any of you do one pull and wish you had two? I have one pull on all drawers, no matter what the width. I have 27s, 30s and 33s. Not even for one second did I regret going with one only. I'm into convenience, form following function, etc. I don't know if a drawer would get messed up if you only pull one when you have two installed, since you're always pulling from the one side, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Anyway, I like the look of one pull only. So for those trying to decide, I'd say to ask yourself the following questions: -- Do I like the look of two better than one? -- Do I like that look enough to make it worth having to use two hands to open the drawer every time? Only you can answer for yourself, there's no right or wrong answer except as it applies to your own situation. I will say that having had kitchens where two hands were required for things that could have been accomplished with one, there's just no contest.
    ...See More

For those with Bin Pulls / Cup Pulls on kitchen drawers...

Q

Comments (11)
    Dian- Thank you for posting about Cripe. I just placed my order, and even though I had to order quite a bit extra due to the lot size, I still only paid $58, including shipping. Can't wait to get them. I'll use the extra knobs in the bathroom. :)
    ...See More

Do you install handles/pulls on pull down drawer under sink in kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    If you mean tip outs, then, yes.
    ...See More

kitchen drawer pull size

Q

Comments (1)
    I have all the same pull sizes on all my drawers and doors. My largest drawer is 32" I think and my smallest are about 9" My pulls are 6" long.
    ...See More
  • Rho Dodendron
    2 years ago

There are three drawers on one side of the peninsula in my kitchen. Two are faux. None have pulls. Drawers elsewhere in kitchen all have pulls.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Faux drawers? have you considered making them tilt outs? I would put hardware on them either way.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

No pulls. : ) It's that simple.

• Nick
    2 years ago

As pointed out already, if you put pulls on them, people will pull them. I don't see what purpose they would serve.

However, if you do need them, then I assume the solution is to attached the pulls before the panel is fixed to the unit. Or, if it is already fixed, remove the panel, attach the pull and refix it. That seems a more secure way than glue.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everyone, so these are spice pullouts so the faux drawer is the bottom piece of a single piece pullout. The company doesn't handle hardware anymore so they can't attach it during the manufacturing process. We do need a handle though for consistency, it's not like the faux drawer under the sink. My husband, mom and I are the only ones who would use the kitchen and we're all aware of the functionality so I'm not too concerned with anyone pulling them accidentally especially since they're also the lowest to the ground.

@Rho Dodendron do you have a pic you could upload? It sounds like yours may be somewhat similar and I'd like to see the look. I feel like the fact that we have 10 real drawers around it may make them look funny but I'm open to it vs. having to switch my hardware.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO you need to post a picture so we see exactly what it is you are talking about . I agree no pulls on fake drawers.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting this is what we have so far (we're still in the process). The two pieces that have the green arrows are the pieces I'm trying to figure out. The bottom "drawer" that you see on that pull out is actually not functional, we just did drawer fronts on it so that it looks like drawers all the way across. That's why I feel that if we leave these without hardware it would look weird as it's the only spot that wouldn't have hardware.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs. S i'm not sure where your comment went but it came through my email. to answer your question...the pullout is a two level pullout so we aren't wasting any space next to the stove. it's a pullout that will hold two levels to allow for a cooking cutlery/knife insert and olive oil storage (both being tall so a classic drawer wouldn't work). The pullout is the height of 2 drawers though. Typically the pullout is a single door that pulls out but to keep the look consistent you can break that single front up into two drawer fronts so that the look mimics two drawers instead of one pullout. basically we are utilizing the kitchen with 100% functionality but aesthetically we are playing with the facades to create the consistent look that we are attracted to. This is really just a design question not a functionality question.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

I deleted the comment because I didn't read your description carefully enough, so my reply wasn't helpful.

Now I think you are stating you have a pullout next to your stove, but it's made to look like a couple drawers instead of one pullout.

Ok, I get it. I stand by my earlier comment that I would add hardware.

I know some pros disagree with me. But I like the "look" that hardware brings to the kitchen, I just do. I wouldn't put a pull on a tilt-out directly underneath a kitchen sink, but I WOULD put a pull on a faux drawer-front in your circumstance.

I am not sure why it was important to make the pullout(s?) look like they are several drawers, but since that is the plan, I would dress them up with pulls. Otherwise, just make the whole pullout-units look like the pullouts they are. That's my opinion.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs. S thanks i appreciate your feedback (and that makes sense i just figured houzz was being wonky;) i agree I'd like the hardware I just need to find a way to see if I can get the edge pulls on a faux drawer and i'm just not finding that and haven't gotten many tips on how to!

• Nick
    2 years ago

Possibly I am not understanding correctly, so apologize if that's the case. As Patricia says, a picture might help.

If it is a single frontpiece, made to look like two drawers, then attaching an edge pull is going to be extremely difficult. They need an edge to fix to, and it sounds as though you don't have an edge, or not enough of one. You might be able to get the pulls cut to size and glued in place.

If you're talking about two pieces that are attached together to form one pullout, then disassembling them, attaching the pulls and reassembling them would be what I would explore.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nick about 3 up is the layout/pic. I am in the same thought as you...just don't even know how I'd manage to cut the metal. They aren't in a spot where it would ever really accidentally be pulled so gluing sounded fine to me but I was hoping I was missing something and there was a way. Oh well.

• Nick
    2 years ago

@Sunshyne, I see the layout, but it would be useful to see what the drawer fronts look like, especially the profile, and whether they are a single piece or two pieces attached together.

From what I have seen, edge pulls are either two sides at right angles and attach at the top of the drawer front, or, more commonly, they are three-sided sitting over the top of the drawer front and fixing at the back. Even with the former, they would need to be cut back or else they would protrude farther than the 'real' drawer pulls.

Cutting metal isn't too difficult and I have done it on various DIY projects that are less visible than the kitchen. Cutting metal so that no one notices it has been cut is more challenging and where I would start to look around for someone more skilled than me.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nick so how do you cut it, or what type of a place could cut it for me? I do have a contractor doing the job so maybe he could? We are doing a classic slab door but the faux panels will just be a slight gap between the slab fronts. Unfortunately I don't have a photo, wish I had one myself!

• Nick
    2 years ago

If there is a gap between the two fronts, what holds them together? And can it be undone to allow the pull to be attached and then reassembled?

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

No pulls, it’s looks fine! DONE

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nick they're attached to a backer panel. they cannot be removed and arrive on site fully assembled. I think the only thing I can do here is to cut the handle in the back and glue it on to achieve the same look OR pick alternative handles that don't attach over the drawer itself and can be drilled on. unless you have a magical solution (which I'd welcome)!

• Rho Dodendron
    2 years ago

Andrea

No I can't post a photo but I don't want you to think I was ignoring you.

To my horror after living with the faux/real drawers 20 years I

gave you bumm information.

The peninsula has three full size drawer fronts side by side. Two are faux and have no pulls. The end one is a real drawer with a real pull. This is an internet photo as MY kitchen is much nicer looking.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

When the kitchen is completely done, you won't be focused on these. If you must HAVE SOMETHING ON THEM? Marry a vertical pull ( last pic ).....use it on pantry pullout as well

The irritation is the result of the flanking drawer sizes......overall design of the wall.

Or don't use edge pulls at all : )

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rho Dodendron and @JAN MOYER thank you! I have the rep trying some things with me on Friday and if this doesn't work I think we're just going to switch from edge pulls to other pulls that can be installed to all of the drawers. I really want consistency among all of the drawers but it doesn't seem like edge pulls are going to be the solution... ugh. Thank you both for your continued help!

• Kate
    2 years ago

You may have answered this already, but perhaps the cabinet maker can install them in the process of manufacturing.

• Sunshyne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone! We determined that the drawers can be taken off of the base to put the hardware on and then reassembled!