SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
szasta

Quartz Counter installed doesn't look like sample!!

Szasta
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm hoping to get some feedback on whether anyone else agrees that the MSI quartz that was installed is vastly different than the sample we saw in person, as well as much different from the manufacturer's website. This is a new build, and any deviation from the finishes packages offered require you to go to the flooring company they contract with and deal directly with them. We were fairly disappointed with our initial experience with this company. We waited about a month for our appointment, and the sales rep/designer dealt specifically with this builder's contract. They knew well in advanced the dimensions of our kitchen yet when we arrived (from 3 hours away), they were unable to give us even a ballpark estimate, which make choosing a counter top from the numerous options, while staying within our budget, impossible. So we selected 3 samples from different levels of quality, took some photos and waited a week for an estimate, so we could make our selection. I've included photos of the 3 samples, as well as the final photo of all the finishes we selected, showing the quartz sample as well as the white subway tile. You'll notice that the sample is the only one not labeled. However, in all of our contracts/documents the name is referred to 3CM Calacatta Ultra Level III. The sample also matches the MSI website for that name.

The description from MSI is "Calacatta Ultra's pure white background is traced with subtle linear veins, evoking the classic beauty of natural marble."

To say we are disappointed is an understatement. We decided that we would drop the money up front for a nice countertop because we didn't care for the builder options. We wanted white quartz with SUBTLE veins/movement.

But as if we knew this wasn't going to go well, both my husband and myself in the last few months have had literal nightmares that the counters would be screwed up. Flash forward 3 months later....

Our plan is to open up a discussion with the flooring company, and hoping that someone made a mistake somewhere along the line of ordering/installing etc. But I'm worried we are going to have to fight this and I would appreciate some feedback. I can't imagine that the drastic variation from the sample to what was installed is at all standard...

Thank you!

Initial samples we had to choose from (laid over cabinet and below tile/grout) We selected the middle one.

Photo sent by designer/sales rep showing finishes selected.

Close up to show how dark/thick the veining is.

White subway tile against it for color reference. I'm aware that lighting is a big factor here, but this is pretty far from white.

From the MSI website.

I knew there could be some variation in the color, but this is so much more extreme than what we thought we were getting. I really appreciate any feedback or thoughts. Thank you!

Comments (35)