SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marc555

Please ID this tomato stem problem

marc5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I would appreciate any help identifying this tomato stem problem. I call it a problem because I don't know if this is the result of a disease or a pest. You will note from the photo that the "skin" on the stem has been stripped/worn/eaten away completely around it.

I started 24 tomatoes (seven varieties) from seed in my basement as I do annually. All seeds were sanitized with a bleach solution before planting to eradicate any fungus. All seedling were grown in the same tray under lights, then moved to my high tunnel for preparation to be planted in the garden. This problem only occurs on three plants, all the same variety, Oxheart.

The upper part of the plants seems OK--very healthy. I am holding off planting out into the garden for fear that this could be timber rot, which sounds like a very bad disease. I have never had this disease--only read about it.

So weird that this is only affecting my Oxhearts. I suppose some insect or rodent in my tunnel could take a liking to only Oxhearts. I have seen Japanese beetles in my orchard attack only Honeycrisp.

Thanks for any ideas.

Edit....sorry, still trying to upload photo. Stays dim, never posts. Any tips?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!