SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Couple of updates . . .

Alisande
2 years ago

The roof leak that ruined my kitchen ceiling: It happened on May 3, and over a month later it still isn't fixed. The insurance company agreed to pay for the interior restoration but not the roof damage. This is because their field adjuster reported to them that the damage wasn't covered under my policy. This guy is an independent contractor who behaved unprofessionally and inspired zero confidence. It galls me that his opinion carries enough weight with the insurance company to affect my bank balance.

I questioned the company's decision, and they asked for a more detailed estimate and photos from the roofing company I contracted with to do the repair. All have been sent. Meanwhile, the restoration company cut some huge holes in the ceiling and left me an "air mover" (big LOUD fan) to dry out the area above the ceiling. I've been doing this successfully, but then we've gotten rain and leaking. Lots of both. I'm tempted to just go ahead and pay for the roof repair myself, but rain is in the forecast every day this week. Oh, and I have no lighting in the kitchen other than the one under the microwave.

The dishwasher: I was about to make my final decision about choosing a new dishwasher (birthday gift from my daughter) when the leak happened. I decided to wait until the kitchen work was completed. My dishwasher broke down in January.

Rocky, the beautiful spraying cat: After posting about Rocky's anxiety, spraying, and repetitive behaviors, I made a point of sweet-talking him more. He seemed a little more relaxed, and I really thought it was working. But then he peed on my favorite big thermal zippered tote, which was close at the time and filled with 8 portions of chicken feed in plastic bags (because I was feeding my daughter-in-law's chickens while they were away). Thank goodness the bags of feed were sealed, because the outsides were soaking wet and there was a puddle on the bottom of the tote.

Over the next two days there were two more spraying incidents, and I had about had it. So I called the vet to ask about the possibility of medicating Rocky, but she said it wouldn't be the best idea. I wasn't crazy about it either, but I was feeling desperate. She recommended letting him go outside. She said he was clearly unhappy, and it was likely his inability to go outdoors was a big part of this. So I let him outside for the first time on Saturday. He was in and out all day. I put water out for him, but his food was in the house. When he was indoors he followed me from room to room. Outdoors, he seemed to have fun exploring and getting exercise. He immediately learned to demand access to the outdoors. With his dominant Siamese genes, he's very vocal. And he can be very loud!

So thing went along like that for two days. Then after vacuuming late afternoon yesterday I removed the dirt canister and put it on a stepstool in the kitchen, leaving it there while I went outside to mow the lawn. When I came back I found a puddle on the stepstool. Rocky feels compelled to spray anything that's out of its usual place. I hope it was simply too soon to expect that he would stop spraying. We shall see. But for now I have a spraying, demanding cat.

And those are my stories. Anyone else have updates to share?

Comments (22)