SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyosue58

Walk-in Shower-Which layout?

wyosue58
2 years ago

I am trying to layout our new Masterbath and was going to use the layout we have right now but the openings are 30" and 27". I want them 36" wide in our new house but that will make the room larger. Right now we have a light and heater in the ceiling for the winter. There is also an extra drain for drying off but we don't use it. In our new plan we will have heated floors so we won't need the extra drain. The angled wall has an adjustable and removable shower head that is at an angle. That makes it easy to turn on before entering. Also, I want a straight bench instead of a corner bench.

This is the layout for the new master bath. I don't know if a straight wall would work the same. I thought about putting tall cabinets on both sides of the vanity and removing the Linen Closet that is next to the toilet. I could move the toilet on the same wall as the vanities. I am hoping I can move the west wall to shorten the width of the room. Does that sound okay?

Comments (106)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Did you say something about being careful with windows in the shower? What about something like this or go without.

I think you said it is telling from the outside if there are small windows. But then I think you said something about it being difficult to seal it or waterproof it.

What about built-ins in the Master bedroom instead of dressers?

Thanks

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I have built ins, in my master closet and much prefer them. A well built built in can look so elegant.

wyosue58 thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

Shower/tub combo or walk-in shower for 5' x 5' shower & toilet space?

Q

Comments (3)
    gee, if you are planning to sell in the next few years and if it is the only tub or bath I would probably keep a tub/shower combo even though you would most likely sell to someone without kids, many people do love baths. If resale is not in the future do what works for you. No tub and glassed shower or wet room will feel much larger. My in laws in the UK just replaced their only tub with a walk in shower and will let the possible future buyers change it if need be. I just added a master bath and chose closet space and nice large shower instead of doing tub and smaller separate shower and have no regrets but we have a hall shower/bath combo.
    ...See More

How to convert walk-in shower to shower-tub combo

Q

Comments (5)
    Plumbing system would also be different as you would need a diverter plus fixtures for a bath and they would think they would all have to work together. I did the opposite (removed tub/shower for a larger shower) and my drain also had to be changed. A bath generally has something that stops water to fill up the bath whereas a shower drains continually.
    ...See More

Converting bathtub/shower to walk-in shower & possibly move toilet

Q

Comments (16)
    I think AirBnB is different from VRBO, and so we may use VRBO, which might require me to be the agent. If one is using an agent for the rental, then it is illegal for the agent to deny children, but if the owner is the agent and owns fewer than three rental properties, then the owner can restrict his property to adults only. Cathedral City is not really a place that children would want to go - in fact, the owners of the house are selling it because their children refuse to visit there. If we have to offer it to children, I will raise the amount of the deposit, refuse to allow pets (which is perfectly legal), and offer it as a two-bedroom instead of three. The third bedroom is an office at the moment, and so I can easily list it as two-bedroom. I don't want a crowd of people there at one time anyway, and as a two-bedroom, no more than four people would be allowed to occupy it, by CC regulations. We do not need the extra money from six vs four people, but we do need some income from this property, since I am retired. We will, however, be interested in renting to people who attend the Coachella Festival, and the rents for that time period are the highest, but everything still gets booked solid. My sister's stepson in Austin owns several houses (that his father bought for him), and he makes $30K during SXSW. Kevin and I make a point of avoiding visiting our sister during this time, even though it is close to Kevin's birthday in March, and March plus October are the nicest months in Austin for weather. Our nephew had the great consideration to have his wedding in October, and so we went to Texas for that, but our niece had hers the first week in August, and I refused to go, although Kevin did, despite the 110° weather with 90% humidity.
    ...See More

Bathroom before (old steam shower) and after (walk-in shower)

Q

Comments (16)
    The continuation of stone and color match is great. The black at the top I wish would not stop the eye. Prefer it to blend and disappear.
    ...See More
  • One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Did you say something about being careful with windows in the shower?

Waterproofing showers correctly is (apparently) not very common, so I would hesitate to make a shower more complicated by adding a window, if I didn't absolutely have to.

I also don't like the typical small, high-set, rectangular windows used in a lot of showers, because from the outside of the house, those windows scream, "SHOWER HERE!" I don't like advertising private spaces on the exterior of the house. ;-)

What about built-ins in the Master bedroom instead of dressers?

If the closet is large enough (which yours looks to be), then dressers aren't necessary. And if access is easy (i.e., not on the opposite side of a bathroom, exactly like what Mr. Mark designed), you don't even need built-ins in the bedroom itself. :-D

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I also don't like the typical small, high-set, rectangular windows used in a lot of showers, because from the outside of the house, those windows scream, "SHOWER HERE!" I don't like advertising private spaces on the exterior of the house. ;-)

LOL--that is what I remember-- windows scream, "SHOWER HERE!"

The size of my closet seems to be shrinking trying to fit in the Guest room.

This is my layout for the master bedroom. Not sure I want glass doors.

This is kind of what I want for the master closet. I would settle for a couple of cabinets like the one on the right and maybe something smaller for shoes. Of course, I would need some hanging space.

Thanks

EDIT:

Just a thought--If I put a tall wall cabinet for shoes in the master closet--do you think it would be okay if I put the hamper under the cubbies for shoes? I hope that makes sense.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist

Does yours look anything like this photo? Do you have any photos of yours?

Thanks

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

The angled wall has an adjustable and removable shower head that is at an angle.

Hate that angled space-wasting wall.

Is it absolutely necessary for the closet to be accessed through the bathroom? Can I move the closet door to the bedroom?

I'm ambivalent about closets-in-bathrooms, but if you're going to have a closet in /near the bathroom, Mark's drawing is spot-on. It allows you to enter the closet without walking the length of the bathroom.

This is the best suggestion by far:

I think the last plan looks good. However an 8' long shower is going to be chilly. I wouldn't go more than 6' myself. Use the extra to put the linen closet in the vestibule.

Yes, remember the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears: bigger isn't better. Right-sized is better, especially when a reasonable sized shower allows you to have a linen closet too.

When I have migraines I have to everything totally dark. The window coverings in our bedroom are Blackout.

Most people consider windows in bathrooms (and other rooms) to be a positive. Since you can pull the curtains, I suggest putting in one window /covering it with a curtain. This gives you the best of both worlds.The angled wall has an adjustable and removable shower head that is at an angle.The angled wall has an adjustable and removable shower head that is at an angle.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Thanks but I need the linen closet, hamper, and some drawers. I meant from what I have laid out.

So, are you looking to shorten the sink cabinetry only?

What is a good distance around the toilet (from wall to wall) to allow handi-cap bars in the future?

No idea. I just know that cleaning a toilet inside a 36" wide room is a royal pain in the rear end. I would love to have an extra 6" on each side of the toilet, to clean the tile and baseboards. Oh, and it's easier to paint the walls, too.

The size of my closet seems to be shrinking trying to fit in the Guest room.

Two questions: (1) How much closet do you *need*? and (2) Do you *need* a Guest room, and is it okay for the guest room to be smaller, so that the closet can be bigger? (If you need a bigger closet.) I would prioritize storage space for myself over lesser-used guest space. But I have like zero overnight guests, unless there's an emergency. lol

This is my layout for the master bedroom. Not sure I want glass doors.

I'd skip the glass doors *unless* you have something really special that you want to display.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete

Thanks for your comments.

I think I have changed some of the things that you have mentioned.

The shower head is on a straight wall and it adjustable. Right now I have 2 windows in the plan.

Thanks again

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

"I'd skip the glass doors *unless* you have something really special that you want to display."

I think that is the most loaded response I have ever seen here on Houzz.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

:-O

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

This is what I have come up with so far.

The size now is 6' 3" x 12' 9", shower is 4' x 7'.

The cabinets are 36", 30", 36" and 48" for the toilet area. If that isn't enough I could make the center cabinet smaller.

I had thought several times about taking the guestroom out but so many naysayers said no one wants to buy a 2 bedroom house. We have not had company for a very long time but right now if we do, I don't even have a decent mattress in the guestroom downstairs.

This is the northwest part with the master and guest area. Don't look at everything in the master closet. That is where I keep things until I know where I want them. If I took out the built-in cabinets that would give more room for the guest closet. I would like to move everything up--including the laundry and storage-furnace room. I am waiting on clarification on the size of the space for the furnace room.

"IF" I take out the built-ins in the master bedroom it would give a straight wall for the guest closet (maybe). For the master closet--on the south wall, I could put a tall cabinet, bench, tall cabinet, and a narrow tall cabinet for the hamper and cubbies for shoes. I will have to find someplace for hanging clothes.

I am wondering if I moved the west wall in too much. The door looks like it is going to be in the way of the sink.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

My master is small by many standards. It's 5'8" x 8'. Just for me though. DH has a 6' wide reach in.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Make the guest closet a reach in closet. Your walk in is too small for a walk in and too large for a reach in. Most reach ins are 2' deep or just a bit more, not 3' deep.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist

The guest closet is a work in progress. I have not decided what to do if I keep the built-in cabinets on the south wall of our master bedroom. "IF" I delete the built-in cabinets, I will have a better spot for the guest closet. Or I will have to take the space out of the guest room. Thanks for the information about the depth. The walk-in closet in our present house is 6' x 8'. The reach-in closets that I have 30" deep x 6' wide, 30" deep x 7' wide, and 30" x 8' wide. These 3 closets have shelves added to hold all of my fabric. My new plan has a very large walk-in closet in my sewing room but it too keeps shrinking in size.

Thanks again.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Tomorrow I'll show you the two closets and the built in storage for my paper, etc in my studio. Maybe it will give you some ideas for your sewing room.

I have two large reach in closets with shelving for my drawings and all my still life supplies. I also have a huge (55" wide) flat file with two full length drawers and 4 half drawers for storage between the two closets.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

@I would challenge the notion that no one wants a two-bedroom house. Let’s see: condos, coops, cottages, apartments, down-sized households, granny cottages.... See? It’s a myth. If you don’t need a third bedroom, I can’t see any reason to get one: it will increase the mortgage, the taxes, the insurance, the utilities, the heat/cooling. All that expense because someone or other is fixated on 3 bedrooms, not for need, but just because everyone does?

I’d like to add (though maybe I’m beyond the question)..

The hallway in the design is wasted space, though. I would recommend re-configuring the layout to eliminate the hallway altogether, and putting that space to better use. Every inch matters in a home this size. Allocating so much space to a hallway when it could make other rooms larger is much more likely to make the home unappealing to a buyer than having 2 bedrooms instead of 3.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tangerinedoor

Thank you for your comments. I should have said for our area--It does not say anything in our covenants but it is implied. In the beginning, I was going to have a den next to the living room for my husband but that has changed so it will be a den/bdrm.

I would recommend re-configuring the layout to eliminate the hallway, altogether, and putting that space to better use. Every inch matters in a home this size.

In my first layout, I did not have hallways and many in this group said that I needed a hallway to hide entrances to the bedrooms.

I am trying to move the laundry room to the north to shorten the hallway and to cut the sq ft.

Thanks again.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

I had thought several times about taking the guestroom out but so many naysayers said no one wants to buy a 2 bedroom house.

The sewing room can easily be converted to a second master bedroom, if a future buyer wants a 3-bedroom house. :-) Especially if your sewing room island is a nice piece of furniture, rather than cabinetry. Something to consider. <3

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, that is what my husband's cousin said a few days ago.

The sewing room can easily be converted to a second master bedroom, if a future buyer wants a 3-bedroom house. :-) Especially if your sewing room island is a nice piece of furniture, rather than cabinetry. Something to consider. <3

If I take out the Guestroom, do I take out the guest bath too? If I do that--the laundry/storage/furnace room is going to be right next to the master bed/bath.

This is what the sewing room island looks like.

EDIT:

By the way, I put some of the width back in the master bath. It just seemed too cramped.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

If I take out the Guestroom, do I take out the guest bath too?

I would. Especially since you have another bathroom near the sewing room.

If I do that--the laundry/storage/furnace room is going to be right next to the master bed/bath.

That would be most excellent!!! You could have a direct path from your master closet to the laundry room. :-D It's a highly desirable arrangement, *plus* the laundry room would still be close to the pantry/kitchen area... Which is also highly desirable.

By the way, I put some of the width back in the master bath. It just seemed too cramped.

Oh, good! I don't think you'll regret it. <3

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I am taking out the guest room & bath. Do I need to take out the master built-in, too?

If I do take it out--I could just put more built-ins to the master closet. Also, if I do that, should they be 24" deep or 21" deep? Also, if I make the master bedroom 21' it will pretty much line up with the sewing room. ;-)

Edit:

Am I going to have to put a tub in the bath that is next to the kitchen? I would imagine there should be one bathtub in the house. Then I will have to move the coat closet.

Second Edit:

Things to think about--

1. 2nd bath needs a shower/tub and where to put a window?

2. How to fit Dale's antiques in the Den/bedroom and still have a Murphy Bed. Also, will need a closet.

3. Where to put a Linen closet and Coat Closet?

4. Need a Winter Coat closet somewhere near the Laundry/Storage/Furnace/Mudroom.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I just know that cleaning a toilet inside a 36" wide room is a royal pain in the rear end. I would love to have an extra 6" on each side of the toilet, to clean the tile and baseboards. Oh, and it's easier to paint the walls, too.

Agree with all but one detail: I wouldn't paint behind a toilet ... I'd tile it during installation and never need to re-do it again. Tile is easier to clean, and the toilet is an area that needs frequent cleaning.

Two questions: (1) How much closet do you *need*?

Look at your actual clothes while you determine this -- don't assume. I have a tiny walk-in closet, and for years I struggled with its size. About two years ago I got back to my ideal weight, and I decided to do a major clean-out: I got rid of over half my clothes: things that didn't fit, things I didn't really like, incomplete outfits, etc. Why did I own three almost-identical dresses in red/coral? Given that I don't wear black, why did I own five or six black dresses? (I kept one dressy-dress in black that my husband adores, and I kept one funeral-appropriate black dress.) I absolutely LOVE that everything in my closet works, and everything is "me". (Except those 8-10 school polo shirts and khaki pants, which don't suit me, but I'm required to wear occasionally.) I carefully folded /wrapped in white tissue paper my dressy-dresses, which get very, very little use -- I mean, we don't go to a wedding or a cruise all that often -- and they are now on the top shelf in a basket. With a reasonable amount of clothing, I could clearly see the things I needed to "fill in", and everything in the closet is "me".

One of the things I thought about as I worked on my space: I'm going to buy 50 pretty, colorful hangers, and that's all the hanging items I'll allow myself to have. Thing is, when I actually counted the number of hanging items I had at the moment, it was just under 40. So when I "guessed" -- even trying to guess kinda low -- I overestimated my needs.

I would prioritize storage space for myself over lesser-used guest space.

Yes, prioritize your own storage space. BUT don't go super-skimpy on the guest space. While it's guest space today, tomorrow you might bring in a family member, or you might re-sell to someone else who needs more space in that guest room.

Consider, too, that you could always use the guest closet for your own storage -- not your everyday things, of course, but maybe your seldom-used dressy clothes or your out-of-season clothes.

The magic word: Balance.

The cabinets are 36", 30", 36" and 48" for the toilet area. If that isn't enough I could make the center cabinet smaller.

No. If you find yourself shrinking something, don't let it be your at-sink drawer storage. Skip the duplicate sinks, which are of dubious value at best. Reduce the toilet area to 3 1/2'. But don't give up your drawer storage.

Make the guest closet a reach in closet. Your walk in is too small for a walk in and too large for a reach in. Most reach ins are 2' deep or just a bit more, not 3' deep.

My daughter's college apartment closet was 3' deep, and I thought that closet was great. She had a hanging rod across the back, and she had milk crates stacked on one side /to the left of the door for sweaters and board games. Because the closet was deep, she was able to have hooks for wear-again jeans, etc. on the inside of the door.

I also thought that closet was great.

@I would challenge the notion that no one wants a two-bedroom house. Let’s see: condos, coops, cottages, apartments, down-sized households, granny cottages.... See? It’s a myth. If you don’t need a third bedroom, I can’t see any reason to get one: it will increase the mortgage, the taxes, the insurance, the utilities, the heat/cooling. All that expense because someone or other is fixated on 3 bedrooms, not for need, but just because everyone does?

Agree somewhat. If you're talking about a house in a suburb where literally every other house has three bedrooms, you need the three.

If not, two is acceptable. Yes, it may be harder to sell, but far from impossible.

In my first layout, I did not have hallways and many in this group said that I needed a hallway to hide entrances to the bedrooms.

This is an art, not a science, and people's reasoning differs. Doesn't mean anyone has given you bad information. Consider everyone's opinions, then go with what you think is best for you personally.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Do I need to take out the master built-in, too?

If you see yourself using it a lot, then keep it. If you'd rather have everything together in the closet, then take it out. :-)

If I do take it out--I could just put more built-ins to the master closet. Also, if I do that, should they be 24" deep or 21" deep?

Do you currently have a dresser? If so, you could measure it and use those measurements for the built-ins.

Also, if I make the master bedroom 21' it will pretty much line up with the sewing room. ;-)

I would only make the master 21' if you have a clear plan for a master that large. My current master is 16x13, which includes a nursery area for babies/small children. A 21' master would be overkill for me, but maybe it won't be for you.

Am I going to have to put a tub in the bath that is next to the kitchen? I would imagine there should be one bathtub in the house. Then I will have to move the coat closet.

If you don't have a tub, then families with children (or adults who appreciate a good soak) may not want to buy your house, so it depends on how comfortable you are with a reduced pool of buyers.

If you put a tub in that bathroom, why would you have to move the coat closet? If that bathroom already has a shower (if memory serves...), just make it a shower/tub combo. :-)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete

Thanks for your comment.

Wow!!! Sounds like you have more clothes than I do. I don't even own one dress any longer. But I have lots of pants/shirts--summer and winter. I want drawer space for most. Right now I have space bags (that you vacuum out the air) and they are beginning to be a pain to store and even to handle. I have winter and summer sheets so I too need somewhere to store them.

We live in a rural area but our development (sort of) has Covenants that we have to follow. Like I said there is nothing in the rules that says you can't build a 2 bedroom but talking to other homeowners--it is implied. The minimum sq ft is 2000 sq ft and most of the homes are 3+ bedrooms. Our present home was listed as a 4 bedroom but actually, one of the rooms at the time could not be classified as a bedroom because there is no window. There are 2 bedrooms on the main level and 1 bedroom and an office/sewing room in the walk-out basement. There is also a large Great Room and bathroom.

You mentioned using the guest closet to store things. Right now the 2 closets downstairs and the one on the main level all have shelves in them for my fabrics.

Thanks again--I have much to think about.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

The minimum sq ft is 2000 sq ft and most of the homes are 3+ bedrooms.

Okay, if you have to build 2000 sf, a two bedroom is probably out.

Before you break ground, I ask this question gently ... you're saying that what you need is two bedrooms, but you are required to build a large house. Is this the right piece of property for you? Think carefully before you commit.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

About the master built-in--I have a dresser-Mission Oak and would like a change but there is nothing--design-wise that I like. My dresser is 44" h x 70" w x 20" d. It also has a large mirror so the overall height is 76". Dale's is 54" h x 40" w x 20" d. Because of the big bedroom furniture, I wanted to make sure we have enough room to move around. There is one place for our bed in our present house and I want more options. Also, I need space for a recliner.

I would only make the master 21' if you have a clear plan for a master that large. My current master is 16x13, which includes a nursery area for babies/small children. A 21' master would be overkill for me, but maybe it won't be for you.

And here I thought I was being practical with things lining up ;-)

If you put a tub in that bathroom, why would you have to move the coat closet? If that bathroom already has a shower (if memory serves...), just make it a shower/tub combo. :-)

I was thinking it needed to be longer. What about a window? If I do a tub/shower, I don't think there is room for a window unless I do a transom.

So much to think about.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete

My original plan was for 2800 sq ft. My kitchen, Master bedroom/bath, and sewing room take up most of the space. This lot is next to our present house. Believe me--there are not any other lots or houses to even consider around here. Many people from California and other states are moving in so finding anything is getting very slim. We live 90 miles from Cody and if you are a millionaire you might find something up there.

EDIT:

I was going for 3 bedrooms but I also needed to cut sq ft and that is when someone suggested cutting one of the guestrooms. I did but it did not cut down much on the square footage.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I moved the laundry to the north as much as I can . I moved our Master bath and turned it. I put it where the guest room and bath were. The sizes for the Master bed/bath can be adjusted but not sure how much without interfering with something else.

I have posted my entire layout--everyone PLEASE be kind.

I moved the laundry up as much as I could. I added another linen closet and winter coat closet in the long (I know--too long) hallway. I am still not sure about the linen closet that is close to the 2nd bath. I think I need to make the pantry more narrow.

The living room needs work and my sewing room too. I know--more work on other rooms too.

Somewhere I read not to put the furnace room on an outside wall, is that true?

Thanks

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

It's nice to see the entire plan; thanks for sharing it with us. <3

Admittedly, I have a hard time visualizing roofs, so when I design my own house plans, I purposely make everything simple (no bump-outs or notches). This roof looks pretty complicated. I'd square everything up as much as you can, into a clean H shape.

Somewhere I read not to put the furnace room on an outside wall, is that true?

No idea. I raise babies for a living, not houses, lol. ;-)

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I started out with NO bump-outs but there was too wasted space and the sq ft was a lot more than I need or want.

No idea. I raise babies for a living, not houses, lol. ;-)

I am done raising babies and I can't even seem to plan a house.

I spent several hours moving the laundry room up and it was a big mess--so back to square one.

I don't know what to try next.

Thanks

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I think this started by changing and moving the master bath and closet. I printed the latest layout, cut it apart, and came up with this. Looks like it is the master closet.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Honestly, Mr. Mark's bath/closet worked really well, so I would do this, then add the big storage room between the laundry and garage:

I might even expand the master closet into the currently-labeled "Laundry" space.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I tried the laundry there and it did not work--It made everything worse.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

What do you like about this floor plan?

Are you ok with lots of rooms yet your living spaces are somewhat chopped up?

Are there additional bedrooms anywhere or is this a 1 bedroom house? And no, the room at the front of the house can't be a bedroom if there's no bathroom anywhere nearby.

Why the excessive hallways?

Why the wasted space between rooms?

Who designed this house for you?

And once again I post my best practices.

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling

The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped.

The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case.

The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls.

The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls

The best houses keep public and private spaces separate.

Honestly, I think you have a decent start but this needs a lot more work. Especially if you're getting up there in years.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Please tell me you are not designing this house yourself or just using a draftsman who calls themself a designer.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist

Long story--I am supposed to have someone helping me but I think they are waiting for me to do all of the work.

This started out as a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, with sewing room. One of the bedrooms was supposed to be my husband's den at the front of the house next to the living room. This plan has changed so the den will be a bedroom. The 2nd bath is on the east wall.

There was a guestroom and bath on the west wall but the sq ft was too much so it was strongly suggested that I take them out.

Yes, I am getting up in age and I don't know why I am doing this except I want a one level home that I can live in. This was "OUR DREAM" but now it is "MY DREAM".

I want the master, kitchen with walk-in pantry, and sewing room on the north side of the house. I want the living room, den/bedroom, and laundry on the south side of the house. The only place on the lot for the garage is the southwest corner with the garage doors on the east side.

The back covered porch started out for my husband's swing to watch the wildlife and I wanted it protected and that I would have easy access. The front covered porch was going to be large enough for at least two chairs for another place for him to enjoy the wildlife.

Thanks

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I think you need to find someone who has design talent to create what you need and want. And someone who also understands designing for those of us getting up there in years. I like how you want your rooms placed in terms of light, but you need someone who can help you get to your vision. It appears you're not working with someone of design talent.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist

Do you know anyone that has these design talents?

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling

If you are talking about the kitchen--it won't work in the front of the house (south).

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Message me.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

If you are talking about the kitchen--it won't work in the front of the house (south).

It might if the kitchen were only 1 room deep or if the layout were different.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist

Did you get my message?

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Going to look now

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I just responded to you.

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@One Devoted Dame

I sent you a message.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

I just got it. :-) I read it really quick; I'll respond to ya in the next few days. <3

Y'all enjoy your weekend!!! And Happy Independence Day to everyone in the USA!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

How can I enjoy Independence Day when I am wondering what all the private correspondences contain? I guess there's some tings in life that have to go on being unknown. I am going to pretend it is for my own good. Happy Independence Day everyone, read the Constitution, and be safe.

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

How can I enjoy Independence Day when I am wondering what all the private correspondences contain?

I know!!! It feels like whispering among two people in a room full of a dozen. :-/ Feels kinda weird; I've never really had this happen before....

Happy Independence Day everyone, read the Constitution, and be safe.

Read it, study it, embrace it, and THEN vote accordingly. As a country, we seem to be losing sight of the darn thing....

• wyosue58
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect

I tried to send you a message but I am not sure it went through.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I did not receive it. Try sending it through my e-mail address: md.bischak@gmail.com

• cpartist
    2 years ago

messaged you!