SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_297181394

Replace a shower stall: timeless/in style, easy to clean, affordable?

Bob Smith
2 years ago

Hi all,

New member here. Looking for your advice.

My master ensuite has an alcove shower surround (3 walls) that has cracked in the pan and has probably leaked water. I'll likely need to pull out the shower stall and pan, replace the subfloor... and then put in a new surround. I am not confident that I can salvage the current surround; it's probably going to crack when I remove it. So this will turn into a reno. I'll be doing the work myself, so my costs will be materials.

My criteria for my new shower is:

• Easy to clean/maintain. I'm a single guy and hate scrubbing grout that gets permanently gross if you neglect it for a while. I like that I can squeegee my shower stall and it's done.
  • In style or timeless. The current surround in there and most of the ones I can find at Home Depot/Rona look pretty plasticky to me. I'd prefer an upscale, relaxing spa look. It would also be nice to build in a bench (think steam room).
  • Fairly affordable. I have a hard time swallowing more than $3K in materials for a shower.

Any thoughts? As far as I can tell, my only two options are the prefab shower kits, or tiles. Am I overlooking anything?

Anywhere I should look for inspiration?

Comments (2)