SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lina_loomis

Bluestone steps and landing

lina_loomis
2 years ago

Hi, I had bluestone steps and landing built. My contractor was horrible.

My issues:

1. The bluestone was purchased from different places at different times and doesn't match.

2. The grout was done at different times and doesn't match

3. They "acid washed" the stones after installation and now the bluestone appears to have been "etched" and has black marks and became discolored. This wash also discolored the grout to a reddish (dirty) tinge.

4. The pavers that installed (to extend the size of the walkway to match the new width of the steps) don't have sand in the joints. He said he did that but I see empty joints.

I had a final payment due to him at end of job. He asked me to pay 75% of that before the job was over so I did in good faith that the project would end well (I knew the stones didn't match, but on the last day the grout and etching/discoloration issues happened). So all in all, I am holding only $1K of the total invoice.

I'm very upset with the final product. What do the folks on this forum think of how this looks? What would you all do, understanding that this contractor is very difficult to work with and dealing with him gives me anxiety attacks (literally). My dad and boyfriend are willing to talk to him if necessary to help out.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback....

Comments (4)