SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
sbm321

Dining tables and unmatched chairs

Sueb20
2 months ago

Tomorrow DH and I are starting the search for a new dining room table and (probably) chairs.

We are meeting with a local place that makes custom tables from reclaimed wood and a large list of options for legs. Some examples of legs I like, below. We’d be looking at metal in a black or bronze finish, probably.

My concern is whether the metal legs will read too modern in my Victorian/eclectic house. Ignore the tops, we would be choosing our own top. Probably an oak or maybe walnut but I don’t want too dark.

For wood legs, I like the legs below but wouldn’t do black.

The other piece of furniture that matters in the room is my red vintage sideboard, which is staying!

The living room is open to the dining room and has a couple of Stickley (oak) mission pieces. Medium to dark stained oak, mostly. The table we‘re replacing is dark oak, and I’d like something a bit lighter.

If I decide to not go with the custom table, I like this Stickley table a lot. Easy enough to find chairs for this table, since Stickley has at least a couple of oak chairs that I like.

But, if I get the custom table with a metal base and an oak top, I am (so far) not finding any chairs that I like. Anyone have any sources for comfy and nice oak dining chairs? Or walnut?

Other thoughts?

Comments (94)

• rubyclaire
    last month

Love the curved brass legs! And that top in the first photo is gorgeous!

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last month

MTN, I'm curious what your out of date chairs look like!

• Related Discussions

Risk buying dining chairs before table? (midcentury chairs)

Q

Comments (9)
    olychick, I wondered the same thing exactly! What do you have to do to a chair to get the upholstery that beat up! I would guess that upholstery is circa 1980s, but still. Price is $300 for the set, a decent price I think. I'd still need to find two arm chairs, not necessarily the same chair but complementary. Seems like the risk is relatively low since I can prescribe the table height and material. Thanks for the advice.
    ...See More

Which dining chairs go with this square dining table, cant decide

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree the brown chairs are too much brown. Of the chairs you show, I like either the orange or blue (based on whatever your color scheme is) and the slight tufting adds some interest. The sea-green chair has too much tufting going on for such a simple table. Actually, the maroon chairs aren't bad, but, doesn't give much contrast to the brown table, IMO, but would work fine. If they are RED, then that's a better contrast. Have you checked the inside leg dimension on the table to ensure any of the optional chairs will fit with enough comfort space (elbow room) for the sitters if you are putting 2 chairs per side? This may help with your decision.
    ...See More

Dining chair suggestions to go with new dining table

Q

Comments (6)
    IMO you need some real color in the space and I would do chairs in a color not nesessarily yellow but definately a color . A robins egg blue would be another choice, have a little fun . BTW the best thing to avoid fading is solar shades the allow the view, keep out the heat and the UV rays.
    ...See More

Looking for dining chairs like this to match round glass dining table

Q

Comments (3)
    I like the ones Patricia posted. Not only do they look more comfortable, and I can attest to rush seats because I have them, but they are more rounded . I have found that on a round table square seats rarely fit well. Something more rounded physically fits better and if you desire to squeeze more people in on occasion you're able to do so. With a square chair that isnt the case. I suppose the old adage of not fitting a square peg into a round hole may somewhat apply here.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month
    last modified: last month

Here y'a go, Bumble. This is the DR in our first house, and this pic is probably 2006 or 7?

They still make the table and the chairs, but the whole sleigh back look that was so hot has passed, I think?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last month

Mtn, thanks for posting! Not what I was expecting and yeah, I understand. It's so funny how we can be convinced what we are buying is timeless classic until it's not. :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

It's so funny how we can be convinced what we are buying is timeless classic until it's not.

Yes, this!

• l pinkmountain
    last month

Love your lino Local! :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Well, we are now in Asheville and walked through the Grove Park Inn today, which is full of mission style furniture. After oohing and aahing with DH, I’m convinced that we need to visit the Stickley store when we get home to at least look at those tables IRL too. Here’s a pic that shows some of the furniture, it was busy so I didn’t get very good photos.

The lighting was amazing.

Exterior shot of the building.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last month

Sue, I'm so glad you get to experience the Grove Park Inn, I live about an hour and a half away and it's one of my favorite places. I love to eat out on the veranda and just walk around the place. One of my oldest friends lives half a mile up the same road from the resort.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

We were coming from a 5 mile hike and a long bike ride — just glad they let us in! We may try to back later in the week for a drink or meal.

• Tina Marie
    last month

I always enjoy that fireplace! Have fun!! You are just a couple of hours from me.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • l pinkmountain
    last month

Mtn, those chairs are classic and timeless because you can find hundred year old versions of them. I love the sleigh back curve in design, beds and loungers too. So they may wax in and out of current trends, but that doesn't mean they don't have aesthetic value for those who like the look and know what they want and know what they like and why.

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting a refresh. I'm glad folks tire of quality goods, gives me value on the resale, which is where I go to refresh . . . if possible. I grew up in an antiquing family.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Well, thank you, Ipink. They don't really fit in my current houses, ,but maybe someday somewhere --- with interesting upholstery.

• Kswl 2
    last month

I have never been drawn to the curved sleigh shape, but those chairs do look very comfortable because of it, A fabric in an undulating pattern that riffs on the curve of the chair back would be interesting, Mtn.

I do think some chairs have a classic style that can be updated with fabric and paired with a different table, or kept with the same table yet look new in more modern surroundings. Rather than the styles becoming dated, per se, I think it's often our personal taste that changes. Sometimes ihave changed something that looks dated to me, then later wish I hadnt because i see a picture of whatever i got rid of looking great in a different room.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Still thinking these chairs might be great. I’m going to drag DH to look at them this week. I like how the curves echo each other, and the chair isn’t a solid black.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Table will look very similar to this but with black base. Placed our deposit yesterday!

• Jinx
    last month

Excited for you! I really love those chairs.

Sueb20 thanked Jinx
  • Kswl 2
    last month

Those chairs are perfect! The shape and color are such a good fit for the table you've chosen!

Sueb20 thanked Kswl 2
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Dissenter here. I like the chairs quite a bit, but to me they are too informal for a dining room, especially in the context of your home. I understand the table is informal, but I think the chairs should bridge that, not double-down on informality. : )

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Yes, c'est moi. To me those are more like works of art,which are "allowed" anywhere. I'm just not seeing the distressed aspect. YMMV! : )

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

We will also be going to another store nearby and checking out these chairs.

This comes in lots of fabrics and black metal legs. I am not sure how I feel about the legs but worth checking out.

These both come in walnut, and I think the first chair also comes in an upholstered seat option.

It can be a real challenge to find seating around here because I am 5'2" and DH is 6'4".

We have these chairs now and everyone loves them, but they are pretty bulky.

The upholstered chair above with the metal legs is slightly smaller.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Oh, and those black Windsor chairs come in custom finishes so they could be non- or less- distressed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

I like the idea of black windsor with a more traditional finish.

I like these from DWR but they seem overpriced to me. I kind of like the lower profile to show more of the table, OTOH, the windsor is nicer looking in its own right IMHO

• bac717
    last month

How long will it take to get the table? Can you try the chairs you currently have with the new table and then order new chairs later if the current chairs aren't what you want?

Sueb20 thanked bac717
  • Tina Marie
    last month

I love the black windsor chairs!

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Mtn I don’t think DH would be happy with low back chairs, but I think we’ll know more after we see more chairs in person.

bac, ha, that was my original plan but I have convinced myself that we must have new ones! Again, we might change our minds after we see chairs IRL.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Speaking of DWR, I looked at these earlier but can’t decide if they’re cool or weird.

• Bunny
    last month

I vote weird. The back looks like a removable insert for people with back issues.

Sueb20 thanked Bunny
  • Jinx
    last month

I’m just not feeling modern chairs in your room. I love the traditional and curvy aspects the Windsor chairs would bring to the new table. I feel like it would look like you mixed family heirlooms with a more updated style … a great mix you’ve mastered in your house.

Sueb20 thanked Jinx
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Bunny, haha you’re right. Jin, thank you.

• rubyclaire
    last month

I like the look of the black Windsor chairs. Saw these on Ebay - only $3,000 for the set :).

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • Oakley
    last month

I also like the Windsors but your DH will need to sit and lean back in one to see if the chair's back doesn't bother him.

Have you thought about putting a decorative tray on the table that's big enough for DH to put all his stuff in when he gets up? Later, pretend you stubbed the heck out of your toe because he left the chair sticking out. He'll be trained by the end of the day. ;)

• Kswl 2
    last month

A couple of the chairs you posted yesterday look like school chairs, Sue. They arent awful but dont have the style of a Windsor.

Chairs are difficult! i have shield back chairs that were the originals with my inherited dining table and I like them but do not love them. My all time fave formal DR chairs are ribbon back chairs. I have never found a set of 8 that were just right for my table but I am always looking 🙄

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

I still like the idea of the ”antique” windsor chair I posted earlier — if we like them IRL — but another windsor option...

We have these in our kitchen and they are very nice.

And they’re available in black (and lots of other colors!).

The back is higher than the antiquey one, though, and I prefer the lower (but not super low) back in the DR. I think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

They are nice, but, all else equal I would not want to repeat my K chairs in my DR.

This is out there, but what about black wicker? Open enough to see a lot of the beautiful new table, not too formal for the table's vibe, but Victorian-ish?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

maybe a more formal windsor? These last three images are from Cottage, Ballard and Rejuvenation

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Mtn, thanks for helping with the search. I did see those Rejuvenation chairs earlier but they’re aluminum... maybe they’d add a cool element, but I’m afraid they’d feel like patio furniture. The lines are so pretty, tho.

The ballard chairs, I’m not feeling. They seem a little flimsy-ish? esp for my large guy(s) (my sons are big fellas too).

I love love wicker chairs but DH does not. Sadness.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

PS DH and I are going on a chair expedition this afternoon! Will report back. Will look at two stores, which is about all the shopping he’ll tolerate.

• Kswl 2
    last month

I like the Ballard chair but ot doesnt look very comfortable, more of a perch than a chair. I still like the ones with that unusual stringer. It’s different enough from the kitchen chairs and i like the distressed feature, especially of the lighter, distressed areas echo the color of the wood table top.

Cant wait to see what you find IRL.

Sueb20 thanked Kswl 2
  • Feathers11
    last month

Yes, I think IRL shopping will work better for you, although there have been many beautiful suggestions in this thread! I love the wicker chairs. My family members are tall like your DH, and I was fortunate to find beautiful dining chairs that are also a bit wider and very sturdy that they feel comfortable sitting on. I also feel deceptively petite and thin on them, which I am not, but that's the bonus of substantial chairs.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Yes, the Ballard is too delicate really. Reminds me of an ice cream parlor.

One thought --- when the DR table arrives, try it with your Kitchen windsors. That will give you a sense of how they would work. You could also paint them black and choose something else for the K

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

kswl, you and I are definitely on the same page!

feathers, feeling thin and petite while eating is a bonus! Or possibly a bad idea. Maybe I should get teeny tiny chairs to help with weight loss...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

The store with the antiquey windsor chair is closed until Tues., so we’ll have to wait a few days for that report.

BUT we found a really good contender that we both liked a lot. It was not on the store‘s web site so I hadn’t seen it before. It’s upholstered but not bulky, has walnut legs, and has a nice curved back. Comes in several fabrics and I found 3 that I liked a lot including a dark gray velvet.

This gray is a bit darker IRL. Like a charcoal.

This blue matches our LR sofa, I think. Maybe too matchy.

I liked this black/white tweed-ish.

Still going to see the Windsor chair, next week.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Love the delicate back --- and gray charcoal, yum!

• Feathers11
    last month

Given your beautiful table that will be the literal centerpiece, along with the fireplace and lovely rug and art, I think those chairs are perfectly understated and work well.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • localeater
    last month

Ooh I like those chairs. What store is that, Imay need a road trip I still have chair issues.

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Circle Furniture in MA

• localeater
    last month

Thanks Sue, havent been there in ages

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Finally ordered the chairs today! in the charcoal velvet. Yummy.

It’s going to take 3+ months so I’ll post pics in umm, November?! We will probably have the table in Sept.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars45 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2021